UPS Contract. They're Going Forward, and We're Going Backwards

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Oddly enough, near me there are several iterations of the General...a Hemi orange Challenger, a whatever the orange is on a new Charger, a Smart car and my personal favorite, a Geo Metro.

All Geo Metros need to be driven off a ramp at high speed and explode into pieces mid-air. Just because they are such crap that they don't deserve to exist.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

All Geo Metros need to be driven off a ramp at high speed and explode into pieces mid-air. Just because they are such crap that they don't deserve to exist.

I am totally in agreement with you on that one...holy crap they are major death traps. I can't fathom why anyone wants a car that can't get out of it's own way.

AlwaysChafed

When new drivers are making more than Swing Drivers that have been there for five years. It's time to jump ship.

There are two ways to look at it:

Half the pay, half the workload.
Twice the pay, twice the workload.

Decide which company is right for you.

vantexan

When new drivers are making more than Swing Drivers that have been there for five years. It's time to jump ship.

There are two ways to look at it:

Half the pay, half the workload.
Twice the pay, twice the workload.

Decide which company is right for you.

​I agree, topped out employees should work much harder since they get paid more. Doesn't work that way though.

vantexan

do you mean w/ FedEx?

and this pertains to UPS?

That's how I got it. Not sure about Van. Seems to got his own way.

I just wonder why topped out employees get the easiest routes. Seems to me that if we have no chance of catching them then it should be on them to do the extra garbage since they are worth so much more than us. When drafting for working Saturday for example they should start at the top of the seniority list, not the bottom. When picking vacations let the newhires go first then work up from there. We literally have no chance of catching them pay wise so since they enjoy many thousands of dollars more on 40 hrs a week than we do then let them earn it. I've only seen a few topped out employees in the last 10 years at a number of stations give an honest effort. Most want to do the bare minimum because they're perfectly content with their higher pay at 38-41 hrs a week. A fair system would have mid-range employees catching top-out in a reasonable amount of time then if we want better routes, etc we'll have to wait until they open. But it's not fair so let the higher paid employees do the hard stuff. Make them earn that high pay. Maybe then you'd see much more interest in a union.

thedownhillEXPRESS

I just wonder why topped out employees get the easiest routes. Seems to me that if we have no chance of catching them then it should be on them to do the extra garbage since they are worth so much more than us. When drafting for working Saturday for example they should start at the top of the seniority list, not the bottom. When picking vacations let the newhires go first then work up from there. We literally have no chance of catching them pay wise so since they enjoy many thousands of dollars more on 40 hrs a week than we do then let them earn it. I've only seen a few topped out employees in the last 10 years at a number of stations give an honest effort. Most want to do the bare minimum because they're perfectly content with their higher pay at 38-41 hrs a week. A fair system would have mid-range employees catching top-out in a reasonable amount of time then if we want better routes, etc we'll have to wait until they open. But it's not fair so let the higher paid employees do the hard stuff. Make them earn that high pay. Maybe then you'd see much more interest in a union.

It's crazy how horrible our system is,
I look at the UPS forum and they are complaining the proposed 3 years to top out getting moved to 4 years on their new contract.

Ours is now "never".

We have courriers with 17 years of seniority who didn't even hit the mid point yet.

fedupped

Right. Give new hires 5 weeks vacation and then systematically take the weeks away. Pensions (?) should be on a descending scale. And when mid range reaches topped out, they will be the new utopia of ultra courier,,,volunteering to leap tall buildings,,,,yawn. ...and strike the word seniority from the fedex vocabulary.

MAKAVELI

Fred must love watching Express couriers turn on each other.
I don't think he is smiling to much lately when is pride n joy is only turning a one percent profit. And it all rests squarely on his shoulders. Ah karma is a bitch isn't it?

whenIgetthere

In our SFA feedback meeting last week, one of the most senior people sounded like MT3, "we should all feel lucky to have a job", "most companies don't offer a retirement anymore, at least we do", "we are paid very fairly". Damn, I nearly puked sitting there and listening to him, but he couldn't defend any of it when those of us in mid-range bombarded him with the facts! Damn, I think this guy needs a tanker to keep up with his Kool-Aid needs!

MAKAVELI

That's the point. Express is no longer the "pride and joy".
You just don't get it. Express is still the face of the company. Regardless of how much profit ground is pulling,if Express goes down, the company as a whole will soon follow. That's why there is so much focus on increasing profit at express. It's all about perception and he wants investors to " think" the whole company is profitable. I can't be the only one to think the downfall of this company is the separation of express and ground. There is no balance. This is the major difference between UPS and FedEx. UPS is lean and efficient and invests it's money where it needs to and a large amount in it's frontline employees. This is why they have been around for such a long time and continue to be the largest and best. FedEx is the opposite. Top heavy, inefficient, and mismanaged. Only a matter of time before the whole house of cards comes down.

ManInBrown

Switching sides and now working at UPS, I come away amazed at the sheer size of UPS and the amount of business they do compared to FredEx Express. Of course I always knew UPS's share of the shipping business dwarfed FredEx Express. But it's actually even more then I thought or imagined. FredEx Express is almost a boutique shipper compared to UPS. 30 stops in one little neighborhood with 3 or 4 streets. LOL. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Oh yeah I almost forgot. :censored2: Fred

vantexan

Switching sides and now working at UPS, I come away amazed at the sheer size of UPS and the amount of business they do compared to FredEx Express. Of course I always knew UPS's share of the shipping business dwarfed FredEx Express. But it's actually even more then I thought or imagined. FredEx Express is almost a boutique shipper compared to UPS. 30 stops in one little neighborhood with 3 or 4 streets. LOL. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Oh yeah I almost forgot. :censored2: Fred

​You are the smartest person on this forum.