UPS CUTS PART-TIME WORKERS PAY BY 1/3

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
You aren't getting it
Part-time job here was never designed to sustain someone financially.
It was a stepping stone to get in here to get a full-time driving job

Yes, but when part-time at UPS pays less per hour than McDonalds it’s definitely not the job it once was. The kids don’t want $20/hr just because they are entitled. They want it because $15 can barely pay for lunch any more.

Yolo

I have a solution. PT’ers don’t care about health insurance, just the number on their paychecks. Take away PT health insurance with the next contract and give them a pay bump. It’s rare for part time employees with any other company to get that benefit anyway so get rid of it. Everyone’s happy.

We literally already took insurance away for the first 9 months. Meanwhile the majority of UPS competitors are giving employees insurance on Day 1.

Whither

Scofflaw
I think this thread sums up nicely what voting on the next contract will look like.

Can't wait to see the unity.
There are too many "bootstrappers" in the union. There's no solidarity when you have drivers telling PTers to shut up and stop complaining about their wages.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
There are too many "bootstrappers" in the union. There's no solidarity when you have drivers telling PTers to shut up and stop complaining about their wages.
The mentally of part timers has changed, many are NOT looking to become drivers now. The company has not made adjustments in order to entice or retain them. They should get paid more. But you can’t expect full time driver money if you don’t drive.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I think this thread sums up nicely what voting on the next contract will look like.

Can't wait to see the unity.
It’s really sad that people can’t see both

1) yes it was above and beyond what they’re contractually required to pay

2) the company also did them dirty in this situation.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
We literally already took insurance away for the first 9 months. Meanwhile the majority of UPS competitors are giving employees insurance on Day 1.
They took it away for the first 9 months because morons were gaming the system and only working here long enough to get the insurance to pay for a pregnancy then quitting.

Do those competitors offer free health insurance on day 1? Even to part timers?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yes, but when part-time at UPS pays less per hour than McDonalds it’s definitely not the job it once was. The kids don’t want $20/hr just because they are entitled. They want it because $15 can barely pay for lunch any more.
It’s a PT job....regardless of where what company you work for, a PT job working 25 hours a week isn’t supposed to be enough to pay the bills. I worked at McDonald’s, a grocery store and a gas station as various second jobs when I was a part timer. Did I hate it and want to quit? Of course! And it isn’t just the pay rate that makes them leave, it’s the hard physical work, and the early morning hours. Waking up at 3am for work sucks when it interferes with their video games.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
It’s a PT job....regardless of where what company you work for, a PT job working 25 hours a week isn’t supposed to be enough to pay the bills. I worked at McDonald’s, a grocery store and a gas station as various second jobs when I was a part timer. Did I hate it and want to quit? Of course!

Nobody says preloaders should get paid the same as drivers. But it is an embarrassment when a union job pays less than other, easier part-time jobs.

Next contract drivers should be making $55/hr and preloaders $25. Bleed Carol dry!

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Nobody says preloaders should get paid the same as drivers. But it is an embarrassment when a union job pays less than other, easier part-time jobs.

Next contract drivers should be making $55/hr and preloaders $25. Bleed Carol dry!
I don't think you're far off. Starting wage should be in the 18/19 range, with a bigger raise after year one if you stick it out and show you're worth something. Scale should start at 25, and end around 52 to 55

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I don't think you're far off. Starting wage should be in the 18/19 range, with a bigger raise after year one if you stick it out and show you're worth something. Scale should start at 25, and end around 52 to 55
I don’t understand why progression isn’t a percentage of full scale.

Starting 50%

6 months 60%

1 year 70%

2 years 80%

3 years 90%

4 years full scale