UPS getting “BAD DEAL” in contract? Lol

Arizax2

I wouldn't be too sure of that, especially for new hires covered by the Company plan.

Newbies, especially PTers, like the portability that a 401k provides. The era of career UPS drivers is slowly coming to an end; to that end, offering a 401k in which pension contributions are deposited as opposed to a pension, defined benefit or otherwise, in which the member has to meet minimum age and years of service criteria in order to begin collecting, will be a huge selling point.

The employer's 401(k) maximum contribution limit is much more liberal. Altogether, the most that can be contributed to your 401(k) plan between both you and your employer is $66,000 in 2023, up from $61,000 in 2022. (Again, those aged 50 and older can also make an additional catch-up contribution of $7,500 in 2023.)

How often do millennials job-hop? According to Zippia, on average, a millennial will stay at their job for 2.75 years. And according to a Gallup report on the millennial generation, 21% of millennials surveyed report changing jobs within the past year – more than three times the rate of other generations.
Your making a good point with the younger generation (I'm a millennial). The people in my age rang doesn't care much about the benfit package or pension. All they care about is the pay. They took the pension away from mangment with a 5 year plan which was completed this year. It's only logical that this will be proposed to the union workforce in the next contract and the younger the overall workforce gets the less they will care about a pension.

DOK

He quoted that UPS will lose 1.5 Billion dollars annually to cover the additional operating costs with this agreement.

They just eliminated further funding in their own management’s retirement plans and diverted some of our pension increases into our GWI and Health and Welfare plans.

Those changes by themselves will save them over 2 billion a year..

(Cost Neutral) for the next 5 years. Then they will go for our pensions and try to convert them all into 401k’s.
I would take the 401k match.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have made a mountain of money in my 401(k) in the last month. And I still don’t fully trust it. It’s nice to have a pension as well.
Whatever you do, DO
NOT make any changes to your 401k. When you get to within 5 years of retirement you might think of moving some of your holdings in to more conservative investments before rolling the whole thing over to an IRA upon retirement. You can contribute to your IRA up to the annual max ($7K?) if you have at least that amount of EARNED income. Pensions and SS are UNEARNED income.

Red Headed Stranger

This will be the battle in 2028. And a hill to die on. An important stance for the future of our young brothers.
A company I worked for years ago introduced a 401k for new hires rather than a pension plan. They allowed existing employees to choose whether they wanted to remain in the pension plan up until retirement or convert over to the 401k. Most of the younger generation chose the 401k because they could take the money with them when they left the company and choose their own investment options. I could see UPS trying to push this in years to come with new hires. Unfortunately, most young people see retirement as "so far off into the future" that the likelihood of collecting seems a dream that may not materialize.