Ups my choice

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I didn't even read any of the diad training, I just fast forwarded right to the questions and answered them as best as I could. I got most of them right, multiple guess tests aren't that hard. If I have any questions when stuff starts popping up in my diad I'll just call the office and ask what they want me to do. This whole thing sounds like a bad joke but whatever, I'm paid by the hour.
Dont you know when we call in they wont know? We are the ones who work out the bugs, and know how to use the board.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It costs 5 bucks per pkg, and I think there is a 40 dollar a yr for premium service. UPSERS is locked up so I couldnt go look. That is where I read it. Dont know why I care.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I cover 300 miles on a route that I run. What happens when there are 2 scheduled deliveries at the same time on opposite ends of the route. SCHEDULE THIS!!!!!!

I do 140-150 miles a day myself. I'm not worried; its going to be my Center Manager's problem, not mine. They want to micromanage every moment of my day anyhow, so now they will have even more opportunities to demonstrate why they are being paid $80K per year to make the "tough" decisions. I'm just a dumb truck driver who will do exactly what he is told and let the highly trained professionals who "manage" me figure out the details. I do hope they at least stick a couple of 5-gallon cans of diesel fuel in the back; even at $45 an hour its kind of a drag to be stuck by the side of the road, out of fuel and waiting for a tow truck to bring me more.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Normally by this time in a thread we would have Pretzel Man or Dragon chiming in to offer a management perspective on the new service and to explain some details that we might be unaware of.

Their silence is deafening.
​P-man's been out of town.

soberups

The other benefit I can see to this new program; easy Fridays due to running out of DOT hours. Its going to be like peak season every day, only warmer!

soberups

Sometimes I have to question whether or not I am being too cynical about new programs and ideas at UPS.

Heres the thing, though; I have been here for almost 25 years and I have seen firsthand a LOT of new programs. I was here when we switched from paper 50-liners to the original DIAD 1. I was here when we went to CACD ( the distant forebear of PAS). I was here when we tried out the Team Concept....and Remote Deferral....and DIADs 2, 3 and 4....Package Level Detail.....Telematics....PAS/EDD....you name it and I have pretty much had a front-row seat for its implementation over the last quarter of a century. And in every single instance...without exception...we have mismanaged and completely screwed up what could and should have worked properly if only we gone into it with realistic expectations and a realistic margin for error. Unfortunately, I have seen nothing in the last year which would lead me to believe that we wont completely screw this new program up also. We will micromanage it from distant locations...we will mindlessly and destructively chase irrelevant metrics that have no correlation to actual success or failure....we will fail by several orders of magnitude to provide sufficient resources for the program to work....and we will focus obsessively on assigning blame for the failures rather than solving the underlying problems.

Its going to be ucking fugly. I really, really hope I that I am wrong. I dont think that I will be.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Normally by this time in a thread we would have Pretzel Man or Dragon chiming in to offer a management perspective on the new service and to explain some details that we might be unaware of.

Their silence is deafening.

Maybe they just got tired of trying to explain things to people who are insincere and just want to argue. I never understood how Pman could be so patient ... definitely better than me.

I could answer many answers on this since I have been involved with it since July of last year but I'm not wasting my time anymore .... better things to do.

I will say that I don't think it will have much impact.

soberups

Maybe they just got tired of trying to explain things to people who are insincere and just want to argue. I never understood how Pman could be so patient ... definitely better than me.

I could answer many answers on this since I have been involved with it since July of last year but I'm not wasting my time anymore .... better things to do.

Since you do not drive a package car or manage a center, you are probably correct.... it wont have much impact on your job.

And what you might consider "arguing" I consider "respectfully offering a reality-based viewpoint on a UPS operational issue." What seems easy enough to accomplish from within an office does not always work out as planned from behind the wheel of a package car.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager

Not much impact because noone will use the service or because consignees will pay extra for something they're already getting (i.e. no changes required by drivers).

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Since you do not drive a package car or manage a center, you are probably correct.... it wont have much impact on your job.

And what you might consider "arguing" I consider "respectfully offering a reality-based viewpoint on a UPS operational issue." What seems easy enough to accomplish from within an office does not always work out as planned from behind the wheel of a package car.

No doubt.

I do read the posts and take that feedback to the IE contacts and other Corporate contacts I have.

UPS has changed several procedures and applications based on the feedback I see on here.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the feedback but I'm simply not going to waste my time explaining why things are done the way they are when people only want to bitch and argue their side.

Keep them coming as I really do read all of your posts I see.

soberups

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the feedback but I'm simply not going to waste my time explaining why things are done the way they are when people only want to bitch and argue their side.

I for one am sincerely hoping that I am wrong for being pessimistic about this new program. I want it to succeed. I want to show up to work and know that I can provide my customers the service they are paying for. Based upon past history, I feel that my scepticism is justified; but I eagerly await the opportunity to come on this forum and admit that I was wrong and that UPS did in fact do its homework before implementing this new service. If you have knowledge that this is indeed the case, by all means share it with us. Please!

Agree 100%.

You do. Unfortunately you are not one of the people we deal with daily on this kind of thinking. We are having problems at the CACH because they are converting us over to a majority 53` trailer fleet. The building was designed when they were the exception so we are having problems finding places to put them. The drivers who have been in the yard since it opened have easy fixes to the problems that are inexpensive to boot. Problem is I.E. can`t get a grasp on those ideas because they don`t jive with what their computers say. They "can`t see the need" as they tell us. I made friends by telling them it`s because they don`t have windows in their office.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
No doubt.

I do read the posts and take that feedback to the IE contacts and other Corporate contacts I have.

UPS has changed several procedures and applications based on the feedback I see on here.

Keep them coming as I really do read all of your posts I see.
Are you going to take my idea to IE or other Crop. contacts?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Are you going to take my idea to IE or other Crop. contacts?

Already have and the West Region IE group is running analysis from the data to determine the frequency of NDA versus 2DA in the On-Call pickups in the West Region. That information will then be used to prioritize your request in the list of things to be done in future ODS/DIAD releases. It is a 3 system impact across two development portfolios with different release schedules but I have talked with all the impacted systems and this is doable.

I am also working with the Canada IE group for analysis since some of the "many to one" mapping done there causes problems with our outsourced carriers and on their West coast as well.

Thanks for your input Dilli.

I will warn you that the DIAD development cycle is an 18 month process.

PS - I started to mention your suggestion as an example but I did not want to do it without checking with you first so I am glad you jumped in here.

Last edited: