UPS STRIKE IN AUG?

Oldfart

A coworker(single no kids) freaked out when I told them what I paid for my families "discounted" group plan with FedEx....
I pay a little over $200 a month for family with dental and vision. Considering what I have been told by friends and relatives, that is not a bad price.

Wish they had an employee and spouse option. My kids have aged out of our plan but I have to buy family coverage to cover my wife.

Last edited:

MAKAVELI

I pay a little over $200 a month for family with dental and vision. Considering what I have been told by friends and relatives, that is not a bad price.

Wish they had an employee and spouse option. My kids have aged out of our plan but I have to buy family coverage to cover my wife.
For the benefits it really isn't that great of a deal. The only decent plan would be for single coverage.

Oldfart

For the benefits it really isn't that great of a deal. The only decent plan would be for single coverage.
$225 a month for family vision, dental and health is not a good deal? Plus the $800 HRA. I find it very good for my family even though it is just me and my wife.

Why do you say single coverage is better? It is the same plan.

MAKAVELI

$225 a month for family vision, dental and health is not a good deal? Plus the $800 HRA. I find it very good for my family even though it is just me and my wife.

Why do you say single coverage is better? It is the same plan.
The devil is in the details. High deductible and high max out of pocket make the plan suck. It's a better deal for single coverage for the simple fact of the very low premium. If you have family coverage your premium is just covering basic doctor visits and preventative care. If you or your family have a serious illness you'll be paying out your ass.

bacha29

The devil is in the details. High deductible and high max out of pocket make the plan suck. It's a better deal for single coverage for the simple fact of the very low premium. If you have family coverage your premium is just covering basic doctor visits and preventative care. If you or your family have a serious illness you'll be paying out your ass.
Yep. it still comes down to deductibles , annual maximum out of pocket and the network you're in and what it's willing to do if you have to seek care at an out of network facility especially if you experience a medical emergency while away from home.

Bingo

Actually old fart is absolutely correct- The family plan would be priced well over 1000 a month if you had to go on the open market

Oldfart

Yep. it still comes down to deductibles , annual maximum out of pocket and the network you're in and what it's willing to do if you have to seek care at an out of network facility especially if you experience a medical emergency while away from home.
Emergency while out of town is billed as IN NETWORK if I remember correctly.

Look at the coverage your family members might have. The deductibles and premiums are comparible to many non union, non government coverage.

Oldfart

So you want family coverage for $225 a month with low deductibles and low out of pocket max. Better join the military, a union or get elected to Congress

vantexan

We don't have Obama Care. The ACA was used as an exuse to lower our benefits and increase premiums. That's total bs.
Sorry, but you're incorrect. FedEx insurance is still under the oversight of state insurance boards and must meet certain standards. The ACA caused premiums to go up for everyone in order to cover the poor who are totally subsidized as well as those with pre-existing conditions. If they hadn't there would be no viable health insurance companies today. You may not get your insurance on the state exchange, but the ACA does affect you. And just another reason why the idea of free college tuition isn't practical because we'll all have to pay for it with higher taxes. Higher medical, higher taxes for this, more taxes for that, and we'll all be working for the government with little left for ourselves.

MAKAVELI

Sorry, but you're incorrect. FedEx insurance is still under the oversight of state insurance boards and must meet certain standards. The ACA caused premiums to go up for everyone in order to cover the poor who are totally subsidized as well as those with pre-existing conditions. If they hadn't there would be no viable health insurance companies today. You may not get your insurance on the state exchange, but the ACA does affect you. And just another reason why the idea of free college tuition isn't practical because we'll all have to pay for it with higher taxes. Higher medical, higher taxes for this, more taxes for that, and we'll all be working for the government with little left for ourselves.
Fedex is self insured. Anthem, Cigna, and Kaiser only administer the plans. FedEx sets the premiums, deductibles, and max out of pocket because they pay the claims not the administrator. UPS has not changed their health insurance this drastically and they are under the same ACA oversight.

Oldfart

We don't have Obama Care. The ACA was used as an exuse to lower our benefits and increase premiums. That's total bs.
Once again, you are blinded by your love for Obama. Fedex has a Cadillac Plan based on their coverage and just because we are SELF INSURED, certain requirements and cost are placed on Fedex because of that designation and those costs are passed on to us.

MAKAVELI

Once again, you are blinded by your love for Obama. Fedex has a Cadillac Plan based on their coverage and just because we are SELF INSURED, certain requirements and cost are placed on Fedex because of that designation and those costs are passed on to us.
FedEx never has met the criteria for a Cadillac plan. You have been fooled again. Bummer......

Oldfart

Fedex is self insured. Anthem, Cigna, and Kaiser only administer the plans. FedEx sets the premiums, deductibles, and max out of pocket because they pay the claims not the administrator. UPS has not changed their health insurance this drastically and they are under the same ACA oversight.
Get out of the Obama Kool-aid book and read some articles about insurance cost nationwide since Obama Care came to be. 30% or more in premium increases is not unusual. Union contracts made UPS eat many of those cost.