UPS STRIKE IN AUG?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It’s pretty strange that the teamsters think they need to give anything back this contract. With unemployment where it is and the economy wide truck driver shortage, and the corporate tax cuts, now is the time to go for the throat.
I agree. Even as an outsider, I can see how this will be bad for them. And what will they get in return. At least at FedEx, we have no protections. I’d be seriously pissed if I was paying all those dues to have them sell us out.

It will be fine

I agree. Even as an outsider, I can see how this will be bad for them. And what will they get in return. At least at FedEx, we have no protections. I’d be seriously :censored2: if I was paying all those dues to have them sell us out.
I guess they get the opportunity to work on Sundays. A raise that “might” keep up with inflation for full timers. The reduction if not elimination of new full time driver positions. They should strike and vote out the teamsters leadership if this is the best deal they can get.

bacha29

Didn't you guys see the announcement posted several hours ago? IBT has agreed to a contract extension and will continue to work past the 7-31 deadline.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
So have they backed off the tentative agreement? Are they not even putting that to a vote by the members?
We haven't voted on it yet. It's not going to pass. The IBT and ups know it. That's the reason for the preemptive extension. Anyone on the FedEx side who says I would do anything for 40 an hour. What's wrong with those guys. There is fine print in the contract that allows ups to cry wolf and give away work to lower paid lower seniority drivers while sending home long time drivers with no pay. That right there is why it won't pass. They need to fix that fine print. Amongst other things.

vantexan

We haven't voted on it yet. It's not going to pass. The IBT and ups know it. That's the reason for the preemptive extension. Anyone on the FedEx side who says I would do anything for 40 an hour. What's wrong with those guys. There is fine print in the contract that allows ups to cry wolf and give away work to lower paid lower seniority drivers while sending home long time drivers with no pay. That right there is why it won't pass. They need to fix that fine print. Amongst other things.
You have to ask why this is happening? Everyone wants things to remain the same but with a pay raise. Only the market is changing, the competition more intense. Sooner or later the Teamsters are going to have to recognize that and it looks like it's happening with this contract. If they wait another 5 years the company might get hammered and start losing money. You can blame it on FedEx Ground. You can blame it on ecommerce becoming centralized and the giant company responsible for that wants to keep the money they're paying others. To say the economy is good now doesn't acknowledge that the economy can worsen, and the competition has increased. The only small package shipping company paying union wages and benefits is UPS and to keep that going in today's marketplace isn't realistic. The Teamsters are acknowledging that reality even if their membership doesn't want to accept it.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
You have to ask why this is happening? Everyone wants things to remain the same but with a pay raise. Only the market is changing, the competition more intense. Sooner or later the Teamsters are going to have to recognize that and it looks like it's happening with this contract. If they wait another 5 years the company might get hammered and start losing money. You can blame it on FedEx Ground. You can blame it on ecommerce becoming centralized and the giant company responsible for that wants to keep the money they're paying others. To say the economy is good now doesn't acknowledge that the economy can worsen, and the competition has increased. The only small package shipping company paying union wages and benefits is UPS and to keep that going in today's marketplace isn't realistic. The Teamsters are acknowledging that reality even if their membership doesn't want to accept it.
Here's the problem. We dont really care about the raise. They put a little line in the contract stating that package car drivers get 40 hours a week *as long as work is available. So basically they are going to give work to the under paid guys working Saturday and sunday. Then cut routes like crazy monday and tuesday and send drivers home without pay 2 days a week Because work isn't available. If we are not guarnteed our 40 hours a week, than this is no longer a job worth working. I'd rather bleed this company dry then vote my job into oblivion. If we were losing money and volume. Obviously we would vote in concessions to keep our jobs and company afloat. But things are booming and we have been working more hours than ever. Time for them to pay up.

vantexan

Here's the problem. We dont really care about the raise. They put a little line in the contract stating that package car drivers get 40 hours a week *as long as work is available. So basically they are going to give work to the under paid guys working Saturday and sunday. Then cut routes like crazy monday and tuesday and send drivers home without pay 2 days a week Because work isn't available. If we are not guarnteed our 40 hours a week, than this is no longer a job worth working. I'd rather bleed this company dry then vote my job into oblivion. If we were losing money and volume. Obviously we would vote in concessions to keep our jobs and company afloat. But things are booming and we have been working more hours than ever. Time for them to pay up.
If things are booming you'll get your hours. If things slow down you won't. But at $40hr if you only get 25 hrs you're still grossing $1000 with great benefits too. If UPS starts hammering topped out guys all the time, giving work to lesser paid guys, the new hires will start having high turnover too as they aren't going to stick around if it's not the high paying future they want. Happened at FedEx, will happen at UPS too unless the lower paid guys still do pretty well. Could just be a push to eliminate overtime. Afterall why would you pay someone $60hr to deliver when you can pay someone $25hr?

Boxslinger11

Next gen teamster
If things are booming you'll get your hours. If things slow down you won't. But at $40hr if you only get 25 hrs you're still grossing $1000 with great benefits too. If UPS starts hammering topped out guys all the time, giving work to lesser paid guys, the new hires will start having high turnover too as they aren't going to stick around if it's not the high paying future they want. Happened at FedEx, will happen at UPS too unless the lower paid guys still do pretty well. Could just be a push to eliminate overtime. Afterall why would you pay someone $60hr to deliver when you can pay someone $25hr?
The company wont even let people double shift at times they throw ot out for drivers like its candy lol

sandwich

The resident gearhead
That's great. 1000 bucks a week won't pay my bills. I've been driving for 14 years. I need to vote so I go from 55 hours a week to 25 to get with the times?? No. If i dont work 2080 hours a year (40 hours a week). I dont get a pension contribution for the year. I'll never get to retire. 22.4 combo drivers are going to happen. But I'm not going to sacrifice the career, life style and retirement I've worked so hard for. Im all for eliminating EXCESSIVE overtime. But not guaranteed 40 hours a week. No thanks. with how hard ups works us. Nobody would do this job for less than we make. We have people quit all the time now. Ups is going to have a hard time staffing a wed-sun schedule for less money and no overtime protections. I will be voting no until they take out that "as work is available"

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Ups has never cared about overtime. They run the least amount of routes possible and we work max o.t. because of it. If you have ever walked down the pen of ups trucks in morning. You will see 99% of them are bulked out. Front door to back door.

vantexan

They will do everything in their power to divert volume from regular package drivers to the lesser paid combo guys. And they will work them into the ground while doing so.
Then I'd say that the company is eventually screwed. As they lose marketshare to cheaper companies if the employees aren't willing to make concessions it'll get harder to pay those wages and benefits. Any strikes will probably hasten the end.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Then I'd say that the company is eventually screwed. As they lose marketshare to cheaper companies if the employees aren't willing to make concessions it'll get harder to pay those wages and benefits. Any strikes will probably hasten the end.
I'm getting too tired to debate this with you. But as it's presented to us right now. The majority of full time drivers will be sent home Monday and Tuesday without pay. Then Wednesday through Friday we will work 8 hours because the combo drivers will be taking our overtime. So I don't know about you but I'm not cool with going from 55 hours a week to 24. Are you? At that point I don't give a :censored2: about ups or it's market share.

Ups profit was around 5 billion this year. Last time the economy tanked so did most other delivery companies. Ups continued to make huge profits during the recession. When ups is hurting we would all be more than willing to make concessions. As of right now though it's completely unnecessary

AwashBwashCwash

Nobody would do this job for less than we make. We have people quit all the time now. Ups is going to have a hard time staffing a wed-sun schedule for less money and no overtime protections.
LOL
You have no idea how bad it is out there do you?
If they tell me I can drive for $20 an hour I'd do it in a heartbeat. You know what I make right now? $10 an hour. You know what I make at my other job? $8.25. I work 7 days a week because I have to have 2 jobs because my part time ones pay :censored2:. You guys are crying about your $60 overtime "lifestyle" while guys like me struggle to find enough money for food. Believe me, they will have zero problem finding staff for those driver jobs.