UPS STRIKE IN AUG?

sandwich

The resident gearhead
LOL
You have no idea how bad it is out there do you?
If they tell me I can drive for $20 an hour I'd do it in a heartbeat. You know what I make right now? $10 an hour. You know what I make at my other job? $8.25. I work 7 days a week because I have to have 2 jobs because my part time ones pay :censored2:. You guys are crying about your $60 overtime "lifestyle" while guys like me struggle to find enough money for food. Believe me, they will have zero problem finding staff for those driver jobs.
Ups is hiring off the street drivers where I live. Come on over. We can't hire anyone. We kept almost every peak driver. They have all quit. In January we had 134 drivers in my center. Now we have 126. I hear this same complaint from the same people that quit 6 months after getting hired.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
LOL
You have no idea how bad it is out there do you?
If they tell me I can drive for $20 an hour I'd do it in a heartbeat. You know what I make right now? $10 an hour. You know what I make at my other job? $8.25. I work 7 days a week because I have to have 2 jobs because my part time ones pay :censored2:. You guys are crying about your $60 overtime "lifestyle" while guys like me struggle to find enough money for food. Believe me, they will have zero problem finding staff for those driver jobs.
Oh I forgot to add
small-violin.gif

vantexan

I'm getting too tired to debate this with you. But as it's presented to us right now. The majority of full time drivers will be sent home Monday and Tuesday without pay. Then Wednesday through Friday we will work 8 hours because the combo drivers will be taking our overtime. So I don't know about you but I'm not cool with going from 55 hours a week to 24. Are you? At that point I don't give a :censored2: about ups or it's market share.

Ups profit was around 5 billion this year. Last time the economy tanked so did most other delivery companies. Ups continued to make huge profits during the recession. When ups is hurting we would all be more than willing to make concessions. As of right now though it's completely unnecessary
How much does UPS spend on payroll and benefits? I'm betting it's a lot more than $5 Billion. As far as I'm concerned I hope you get everything you want. But I think there will soon be economic realities that you will have to face. And if you are classified as full-time I don't believe legally they can force you below 30 hours. And most likely don't have enough lower paid workers to take too much away from you. Most likely they're shooting for no overtime. If they don't care about overtime as some say then why are they trying to cut hours? Highly doubtful they're looking to cut all you guys way down, but they have to deal with a changing marketplace.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
How much does UPS spend on payroll and benefits? I'm betting it's a lot more than $5 Billion. As far as I'm concerned I hope you get everything you want. But I think there will soon be economic realities that you will have to face. And if you are classified as full-time I don't believe legally they can force you below 30 hours. And most likely don't have enough lower paid workers to take too much away from you. Most likely they're shooting for no overtime. If they don't care about overtime as some say then why are they trying to cut hours? Highly doubtful they're looking to cut all you guys way down, but they have to deal with a changing marketplace.
Ups revenue was 65 billion for the year. Profit was 5 billion. I think they can afford to add a few routes per center and avoid all this combo driver talk.

It will be fine

If this is the best deal the teamsters can get in the current economy the union will die. No way folks in right to work states are going to continue to fund a union that is so weak and giving concessions in a booming economy to a company making record profits.

bacha29

After all, this isn't the NFL or NBA.

UPS envy is strong among the have-nots.
Man, you could not have said it better. VanT 's comments contradict many of his earlier ones. He was consistently waaaing about the screwing he got from Fat Freddy and with good reason while at the same time running to the defense of UPS. UPS will take care of UPS the IBT will take care of IBT. IWBF on the other hand would love nothing more than to see the IBT being decertified as the drivers representative because he can't compete for labor with that $15-16 an hour zero OT zero benefit and 70 hour work week garbage he has to offer.
At the same time it would appear that the IBT has a contract it can't sell to its members but believes that if it waited long enough and it lubed it up enough it might be able to slide it in more easily.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
If this is the best deal the teamsters can get in the current economy the union will die. No way folks in right to work states are going to continue to fund a union that is so weak and giving concessions in a booming economy to a company making record profits.
Spot on!

The Teamsters have shown lots of weakness over the last 10 years. Giving up on unionizing FedEx Express so easily, a very weak contract with Yellow-Roadway and now this. I can see decertification of the union in some states if this is their idea of a great contract.

vantexan

Man, you could not have said it better. VanT 's comments contradict many of his earlier ones. He was consistently waaaing about the screwing he got from Fat Freddy and with good reason while at the same time running to the defense of UPS. UPS will take care of UPS the IBT will take care of IBT. IWBF on the other hand would love nothing more than to see the IBT being decertified as the drivers representative because he can't compete for labor with that $15-16 an hour zero OT zero benefit and 70 hour work week garbage he has to offer.
At the same time it would appear that the IBT has a contract it can't sell to its members but believes that if it waited long enough and it lubed it up enough it might be able to slide it in more easily.
I never got anything close to what our topped out couriers got, let alone what UPS drivers got. I'm all for them getting whatever they can, but their company is in it to make a profit too, not just provide high paying jobs for people. If FedEx Ground continues to cut into their business, if Amazon takes away a big chunk of their business, if another recession comes and they inevitably do, they're stuck in a contract paying high pay, great benefits, and their profits are evaporating. They can't just up and move their operations overseas and leave the union high and dry. They'll either have to figure a way to remain profitable or if operating at a loss eventually close their doors. I think they should spell out in the contract that they are looking to eliminate overtime but will guarantee drivers 40, or 35 like FedEx. 40 X $40hr gives a driver over $80k a year. And yes if I were making that much and could have a life outside the job too I'd be ecstatic. If one can't make ends meet on that kind of money they should take a long look at priorities.

Oldfart

I never got anything close to what our topped out couriers got, let alone what UPS drivers got. I'm all for them getting whatever they can, but their company is in it to make a profit too, not just provide high paying jobs for people. If FedEx Ground continues to cut into their business, if Amazon takes away a big chunk of their business, if another recession comes and they inevitably do, they're stuck in a contract paying high pay, great benefits, and their profits are evaporating. They can't just up and move their operations overseas and leave the union high and dry. They'll either have to figure a way to remain profitable or if operating at a loss eventually close their doors. I think they should spell out in the contract that they are looking to eliminate overtime but will guarantee drivers 40, or 35 like FedEx. 40 X $40hr gives a driver over $80k a year. And yes if I were making that much and could have a life outside the job too I'd be ecstatic. If one can't make ends meet on that kind of money they should take a long look at priorities.
Gotta love a fella that has lived in a tent and wants to give others financial advice.

vantexan

Gotta love a fella that has lived in a tent and wants to give others financial advice.
I get ahead on $22k because I am willing to live in a tent. Living in a tent beats working for you know who any day. As far as my posts go I have just as much a right to express an opinion as anyone here. The only opinions that don't matter on this forum are yours. And that's because rather than discuss a subject you're looking to rip into everyone. Do you have an opinion about what's going on with UPS or are you just dealing with your unresolved pubescent angst?

Oldfart

I get ahead on $22k because I am willing to live in a tent. Living in a tent beats working for you know who any day. As far as my posts go I have just as much a right to express an opinion as anyone here. The only opinions that don't matter on this forum are yours. And that's because rather than discuss a subject you're looking to rip into everyone. Do you have an opinion about what's going on with UPS or are you just dealing with your unresolved pubescent angst?
I dont work for UPS so I have no opinion as to what goes on there. I dont work at White Castle so I dont have an opinion as to whats going on there either.

If all I had at retirement was 22k a year I would be ashamed. Go ahead and blame FDX for your financial mess. The person totally responsible is in your mirror.

vantexan

I dont work for UPS so I have no opinion as to what goes on there. I dont work at White Castle so I dont have an opinion as to whats going on there either.

If all I had at retirement was 22k a year I would be ashamed. Go ahead and blame FDX for your financial mess. The person totally responsible is in your mirror.
As UPS may see a strike which would have a huge impact on FedEx employees it's a legitimate topic to discuss. Do you have anything constructive to add or are you just looking to smear someone? And thanks for your concern but I'm getting along just fine.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Yea it's cool man, keep laughing at all the part timers getting screwed and breaking their backs for poverty wages. I know it's really funny stuff. Don't worry though, it appears now that they're done with us they're coming for you next. That's the brotherhood.
Are you too foolish to understand. That current drivers will be fine. It's you that is getting screwed again if you plan to make this a career. Career part timers are a small minority. Part time is supposed to be a stepping stone to the big payout once you go full time driver. YOU will never hit my top rate if this contract passes. This contract sucks for everybody.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Are you too foolish to understand. That current drivers will be fine. It's you that is getting screwed again if you plan to make this a career. Career part timers are a small minority. Part time is supposed to be a stepping stone to the big payout once you go full time driver. YOU will never hit my top rate if this contract passes. This contract sucks for everybody.
Too bad so many people are used to instant gratification. They can’t get the big picture and see how this will effect them down the road. They want everything NOW and UPS and the IBT are counting on that.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It's been a small price to pay for industry leading pay and benefits... and honestly it really is a small price 2.5x hourly wage per week. I support them striking, yes they get paid A LOT... they also abuse their bodies and sacrifice personal lives in exchange for that wage.
And their dues are still cheaper than what I pay for health insurance. Lol.