UPS STRIKE IN AUG?

RPSman

I was an RPS P & D contractor during the 1997 UPS strike. Had just bought a supplemental stepvan, so rented it out to the terminal, made some bucks. Had people chasing my stepvan down the street, trying to ship packages. Back then, contractors were only allowed 3 routes max, we did not have this ISP or CSP, whatever it is called now. RPS which is now Fed Ex Ground has a different makeup of drivers. I see people who we wouldn't have hired for temp drivers, out in old rental trucks, which back in the olden days, did not meet RPS specifications, unless you were the terminal manager's drinking buddy. These trucks have homemade wooden shelves. As I occasionally would rent a Hertz or Penske when my route required it, I can say it is a major pain delivering out of these rental trucks, stepvans with aluminum shelves & bulkhead doors are a lot easier to deliver out of. While FEG thinks they can take on the extra packages, I question whether they can. Back in 97, RPS' big bosses limited the number of new customers we took on during the strike. With Fred S being as greedy as he is, would not be surprised to see a major input of packages. While Airborne was bought out by DHL, they are only setup for overnight letters & small packages.
We all know what happened when they tried to challenge the UPS/Fed EX duopoly, the parent company lost almost a billion dollars before stopping the experiment. This time it will be a different landscape in case of a UPS strike. Emery, Purolator USA & Pony Express Couriers are gone. Regional package carriers can only absorb so much of an increase in volume. PVD concept failed miserably before & during Christmas.

bacha29

I was an RPS P & D contractor during the 1997 UPS strike. Had just bought a supplemental stepvan, so rented it out to the terminal, made some bucks. Had people chasing my stepvan down the street, trying to ship packages. Back then, contractors were only allowed 3 routes max, we did not have this ISP or CSP, whatever it is called now. RPS which is now Fed Ex Ground has a different makeup of drivers. I see people who we wouldn't have hired for temp drivers, out in old rental trucks, which back in the olden days, did not meet RPS specifications, unless you were the terminal manager's drinking buddy. These trucks have homemade wooden shelves. As I occasionally would rent a Hertz or Penske when my route required it, I can say it is a major pain delivering out of these rental trucks, stepvans with aluminum shelves & bulkhead doors are a lot easier to deliver out of. While FEG thinks they can take on the extra packages, I question whether they can. Back in 97, RPS' big bosses limited the number of new customers we took on during the strike. With Fred S being as greedy as he is, would not be surprised to see a major input of packages. While Airborne was bought out by DHL, they are only setup for overnight letters & small packages.
We all know what happened when they tried to challenge the UPS/Fed EX duopoly, the parent company lost almost a billion dollars before stopping the experiment. This time it will be a different landscape in case of a UPS strike. Emery, Purolator USA & Pony Express Couriers are gone. Regional package carriers can only absorb so much of an increase in volume. PVD concept failed miserably before & during Christmas.
Current ISP's ,CSP's etc who were not around for the 97 strike should not underestimate the impact of another good old fashion UPS/IBT street brawl. The 97 strike lasted for 16 days. Hours of service were suspended and the guys at my barn were out there for every one of those 16 days. We'd go in at 5AM and nobody got back before 10 PM.
Forward thinking contractors are no doubt out there today looking for additional assets both machine and human that can be pressed into service as early as July in order to handle what could be a steady uptick in July volume ahead of a possible strike.
Will there be a strike?. Right now I put the odds at about 1 in 3. At the same time one must proceed on the belief that an agreement will not be reached until the final hours and should plan accordingly.

If there is a strike will Trump intervene? The wild card in all of this is that it is an election year and Trump if he's true to his nature will take whatever action best serves Donald Trump.

floridays

While the prospect of a strike is low I believe contractors need to make plans based on a tentative settlement not being reached until the closing days if not hours before the deadline. In the meantime they are now faced with having to procure, train and equip additional assets based purely on the prospect of a UPS strike which may or may not happen. I believe that it's reasonable to believe that July's volume will spike at least to some degree as shippers try out alternative shipping options.
If a strike were to occur the question then becomes will Emperor Trump play it smart and stay out of it as Clinton did or will he order them back to work. It's an election year and his decision will be impacted to at least some degree by whichever decision will best improve his party's chance of retaining it's congressional majority.
You just had to bring Trump into it, you're always a :censored2:.

floridays

No. You just seem angry today.
No ma'am, I just like the angry facade, it repels people that don't really know me.:rolleyes::lol: I like to poke @Oldfart in the ribs, certainly you know that? Hope the rest of your day is a Gooden, and your weekend is better. Take care young Lady.

Doc-Gooden.jpg

Doc Gooden

bacha29

You just had to bring Trump into it, you're always a :censored2:.
Because Trump is a major player in these unfolding events. When word got out that the IBT had a federal judge waiting to hit him with an injunction if he tried to intervene in the 97 strike Bill Clinton wisely stayed out of it. Knowing that they would get tired of cuffing each other around after awhile he stepped out of the way and let them go at it. Sixteen days later both sides got tired of it and settled.

floridays

Because Trump is a major player in these unfolding events. When word got out that the IBT had a federal judge waiting to hit him with an injunction if he tried to intervene in the 97 strike Bill Clinton wisely stayed out of it. Knowing that they would get tired of cuffing each other around after awhile he stepped out of the way and let them go at it. Sixteen days later both sides got tired of it and settled.
Any president should stay out, it is a contract, a private contract, to the extent of UPS obligations through Federal contracts, a president should stay silent. Be honest, you took a swipe at Trump, you hate him. You carried Bill's water you love him. Let the possible strike materialize before clipping Trumps nuts off.

bacha29

Well, you think.
Bacha for the most part, is an un-aimed cannon.
As president you have to pick your spots, know when and where there's a fight worth getting involved in. Not defending Clinton but he knew that simply having the powers to intervene doesn't mean that you do intervene. Given Trump's propensity to pick a fight with anyone over the pettiest of issues. knowing better than to needlessly get yourself into a UPS/IBT scrum is something he hasn't shown me as being capable of.

floridays

As president you have to pick your spots, know when and where there's a fight worth getting involved in. Not defending Clinton but he knew that simply having the powers to intervene doesn't mean that you do intervene. Given Trump's propensity to pick a fight with anyone over the pettiest of issues. knowing better than to needlessly get yourself into a UPS/IBT scrum is something he hasn't shown me as being capable of.
Great, again you noted Clinton's superb intellect and Trumps wild aimlessness. Guaranteed, Trump as a non lawyer has more intelligence in dealing with labor problems than a law school grad (Budda Clinton) that has never dealt with the issues in real time. I think you missed one of Bubba's short curlies when you brushed your teeth this morning.

bacha29

Great, again you noted Clinton's superb intellect and Trumps wild aimlessness. Guaranteed, Trump as a non lawyer has more intelligence in dealing with labor problems than a law school grad (Budda Clinton) that has never dealt with the issues in real time. I think you missed one of Bubba's short curlies when you brushed your teeth this morning.
As for the Trump legacy, if it turns out good fine but if the Mueller report is so that damning that Congress will have no choice but to act then as a Trump lover what will you have to say? In the meantime back to the topic of a potential UPS/ IBT showdown two facts remain. One, Trump has the power to end a strike if one were to occur. Two, unlike 1997 this is an election year and that is a factor and with control of Congress hanging in the balance pressure from congressional Republicans to intervene in a strike should one occur will no doubt be significant.