UPS STRIKE IN AUG?

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Because Trump is a major player in these unfolding events. When word got out that the IBT had a federal judge waiting to hit him with an injunction if he tried to intervene in the 97 strike Bill Clinton wisely stayed out of it. Knowing that they would get tired of cuffing each other around after awhile he stepped out of the way and let them go at it. Sixteen days later both sides got tired of it and settled.

As president you have to pick your spots, know when and where there's a fight worth getting involved in. Not defending Clinton but he knew that simply having the powers to intervene doesn't mean that you do intervene. Given Trump's propensity to pick a fight with anyone over the pettiest of issues. knowing better than to needlessly get yourself into a UPS/IBT scrum is something he hasn't shown me as being capable of.

As for the Trump legacy, if it turns out good fine but if the Mueller report is so that damning that Congress will have no choice but to act then as a Trump lover what will you have to say? In the meantime back to the topic of a potential UPS/ IBT showdown two facts remain. One, Trump has the power to end a strike if one were to occur. Two, unlike 1997 this is an election year and that is a factor and with control of Congress hanging in the balance pressure from congressional Republicans to intervene in a strike should one occur will no doubt be significant.
5E5301EB-2BBA-42F1-825A-204B42D4A68B.gif

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
As for the Trump legacy, if it turns out good fine but if the Mueller report is so that damning that Congress will have no choice but to act then as a Trump lover what will you have to say? In the meantime back to the topic of a potential UPS/ IBT showdown two facts remain. One, Trump has the power to end a strike if one were to occur. Two, unlike 1997 this is an election year and that is a factor and with control of Congress hanging in the balance pressure from congressional Republicans to intervene in a strike should one occur will no doubt be significant.
As my Sicilian nana used to say "IF a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his cula (butt) on the ground.
More profound than your 'sky is falling' posts.

bacha29

Baker Mayfield isn't going to worry about what happens to you if a violent and protracted UPS/IBT strike were to impact you in a very unpleasant manner.

bacha29

As my Sicilian nana used to say "IF a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his cula (butt) on the ground.
More profound than your 'sky is falling' posts.
When a labor contract approaches expiration tensions ratchet up and all bets are off. Just 2 years ago after working without a contract for more than a year Verizon workers walked out and stayed out for 45 days. They prepared for a strike well in advance stuck together and only a few minor clashes occurred . At the same time when people are not prepared for a long work stoppage they can get desperate, civility becomes strained and order becomes hard to maintain.

bacha29

we already know fedex cant handle the extra volume
Do not assume that UPS is incapable of developing and implement effective counter measures in the vent of a strike. The worst thing IBT members could do for themselves is to assume that they hold all the cards.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Do not assume that UPS is incapable of developing and implement effective counter measures in the vent of a strike. The worst thing IBT members could do for themselves is to assume that they hold all the cards.
FedEx only gets 50 packages a day

Oldfart

50 pkgs a day? That's interesting. The little station I'm involved with gets more than 3500 a day.

He is making fun of you bacha,

If bacha was half as smart as he claims to be, he would have a seat on Wall Street or somewhere in the financial markets. As it is, he is just a dumb ole truck driver who likes to spew financial dribble and has no idea what he is talking about.

bacha29

Here is what I can tell you. I have in my lifetime served on a few union labor contract negotiations.When that door closes and the two sides begin all bets are off it becomes a poker game and you assume nothing including the assumption that the other guy is bluffing. All you know is that the guy on the other side of the table has effective counter measures at his disposal and at some time during the negotiations he's going to jump you with them in a effort to swing the momentum in his direction. All you can hope for is that what little intelligence you have regarding those counter measures is correct and it's enough to keep the momentum in your favor.

In the UPS/IBT game of one thrones one thing you can be assured of you can be sure of. Given that it's a national contract the moment there is a recess in negotiations that federal mediator will immediately be out the door and on the phone to the White House.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Here is what I can tell you. I have in my lifetime served on a few union labor contract negotiations.When that door closes and the two sides begin all bets are off it becomes a poker game and you assume nothing including the assumption that the other guy is bluffing. All you know is that the guy on the other side of the table has effective counter measures at his disposal and at some time during the negotiations he's going to jump you with them in a effort to swing the momentum in his direction. All you can hope for is that what little intelligence you have regarding those counter measures is correct and it's enough to keep the momentum in your favor.

In the UPS/IBT game of one thrones one thing you can be assured of you can be sure of. Given that it's a national contract the moment there is a recess in negotiations that federal mediator will immediately be out the door and on the phone to the White House.
Only because of national security interests.

Am I right?:funny:

SmithBarney

50 pkgs a day? That's interesting. The little station I'm involved with gets more than 3500 a day.
Our tiny station runs 1000 P1 Priority Overnights 1030 a day... granted we have extra staff, if you doubled it, you bet FDX would have a service disruption during the strike... we'd get it done, although we might not have any trucks, most spares are in the shop