UPS Whistleblowers- Happy National Whistleblowers Appreciation Day!

Thebrownblob

You really need to stop changing it around and answer my questions first. I suspect you won’t because you really don’t understand the ruling.

Trucker Clock

When I bring up issue’s now they definitely take me seriously because they know I only bring up issues that I am serious enough to go to outside agencies with.

You’re damn right Mr Center Manager. If you don’t give us free water, I’m telling on you.

Do you see what you’ve done?

You’re now bringing up serious issues, extreme heat in the package cars, but your integrity is already shot.

People are tired of hearing your bullcrap over the little issues, so now they are not listening when you bring up the big issues.

Do you know the parable about the boy who cried wolf?

Thebrownblob

👍

👍

My experience has been much different and better.

My experience has been much different and better with this as well.

Who told you this?

No.

I do not put my faith in a government agency.
My manager told me they wanted to come last week they were talked out of it by higher-ups at UPS and they will come a different week after there’s time to manipulate and fix things. There is your OSHA help right there, helping the company.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Decades and decades and why haven’t OSHA required UPS to do what you say?
I don’t know. Maybe no complaint was ever filed.
Are they paid off?
I don’t know.

I don’t think so.

In my case they definitely weren’t.
Do you misunderstand the rule?
No, my opinion based upon my interpretation straight forward.
Is it not enforceable?
Yes. I believe it is.
Why does UPS not have to do it if it’s a rule?
They do. Maybe an adequate complaint was never filed.
There’s a lot going on here and it’s way above my head and yours.
I know my place. I have dealt with OSHA and UPS before.

Thebrownblob

I don’t know. Maybe no complaint was ever filed.

I don’t know.

I don’t think so.

In my case they definitely weren’t.

No, my opinion based upon my interpretation straight forward.

Yes. I believe it is.

They do. Maybe an adequate complaint was never filed.

I know my place. I have dealt with OSHA and UPS before.
I have dealt with them as well and I can assure you if what you think you’ve read is actual interpretation it would’ve already happened.

Thebrownblob

Again, I don’t know but based upon some of posts on the BC about this issue I suspect that an adequate complaint was probably not filed about this issue.
So you’re saying they just ignore when they come and look because there’s been no actual complaint? That actually flies right in the face of the truth because they’re coming out to inspect the building without a complaint. They are either terrible at their job or you do not understand what you’re reading.

Thebrownblob

I tried to answer your questions. If they are not adequate to advance the discussion let me know.
I understand you tried to answer but you don’t have an answer because there isn’t one that makes sense. My questions were not to show that you were wrong but that OSHA is not all it says it is.

Thebrownblob

I tried to answer your questions. If they are not adequate to advance the discussion let me know.

What ruling?
The one you’ve made something of a mockery of because of the way you’ve gone about it, that requires a company to have water on the vehicle at a certain temperature at all times. While I agree with your premise that it would be helpful, The application of it is quite daunting and impractical as well as the evidence shows it’s not required and not done. If you can show me someplace it is done I’ll agree with you, as of yet you have not. You’ve gone on a several week rant about what OSHA is it going to save us from. This is advancing the conversation with both practicality and evidence of which you have provided neither.

Thebrownblob

Your reasoning is that OSHA just hasn’t had a complaint is laughable. Both in the fact that there’s thousands of complaints from companies every year and they do inspections of their own. I guess they just missed the fact that there’s not constant cool water on the truck replenish daily by management. weird.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Your reasoning is that OSHA just hasn’t had a complaint is laughable. Both in the fact that there’s thousands of complaints from companies every year and they do inspections of their own. I guess they just missed the fact that there’s not constant cool water on the truck weird.
Have you ever filed a formal complaint with OSHA?

Trucker Clock

The one you’ve made something of a mockery of because of the way you’ve gone about it, that requires a company to have water on the vehicle at a certain temperature at all times. While I agree with your premise that it would be helpful, The application of it is quite daunting and impractical as well as the evidence shows it’s not required and not done. If you can show me someplace it is done I’ll agree with you, as of yet you have not. You’ve gone on a several week rant about what OSHA is it going to save us from. This is advancing the conversation with both practicality and evidence of which you have provided neither.

Correct. @Integrity says OSHA needs to do this and that because it is the law.

He is shown he is incorrect but continues to push because it is his “opinion and interpretation” of the law.

Thebrownblob

Have you ever filed a formal complaint with OSHA?
Me personally no because they’re a crap government agency that is mostly about covering their butt and working hand-in-hand with the company. I’ve been involved in plenty of them I told you that. When they are here I will point out the cool water problem on the vehicles I can assure you they will do absolutely nothing about it.

Thebrownblob

Correct. @Integrity says OSHA needs to do this and that because it is the law.

He is shown he is incorrect but continues to push because it is his “opinion and interpretation” of the law.
I’ve had interpretation smashed against my head on the contract so I do not fault him his interpretation. But the evidence should be enough for him to realize he’s not understanding something.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
If the local management of any UPS facility fails in the OSHA requirement regarding the
provision of water every day IMO this is a “whistle blower worthy” issue on each and every day UPS fails to fulfill their obligation under OSHA, based upon my opinion, based upon my interpretation.

OSHA requires that employees shall have
access to potable drinking water that is to be fresh, pure, suitably cool, and provided to employees free of charge. The water shall be located as close as practicable to the areas where employees are working. Where drinking water is not plumbed or otherwise continuously supplied, it shall be provided in sufficient quantity at the beginning of the work shift to provide one quart per employee per hour for drinking for the entire shift. Employers may begin the shift with smaller quantities of water if they have effective procedures for replenishment during the shift as needed to allow employees to drink one quart or more per hour.
The frequent drinking of water, as described in subsection (h)(1)(C), shall be encouraged.

Not on package cars.

Where drinking water is not plumbed or otherwise continuously supplied, it shall be provided in sufficient quantity at the beginning of the work shift to provide one quart per employee per hour for drinking for the entire shift. Employers may begin the shift with smaller quantities of water if they have effective procedures for replenishment during the shift as needed to allow employees to drink one quart or more per hour.

Couldn't you have given an example of whistleblowing that didn't involve water?

Not trying to complain, but I feel like this topic may have been covered once or twice in other locations.

Thebrownblob

Couldn't you have given an example of whistleblowing that didn't involve water?

Not trying to complain, but I feel like this topic may have been covered once or twice in other locations.
Egress is a big one especially for inside employees. Although if you saw the inside of my packed out 1200 and 600 packages you might say it’s a problem for everyone.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Egress is a big one especially for inside employees. Although if you saw the inside of my packed out 1200 and 600 packages you might say it’s a problem for everyone.
I haven't, but egress issues were one of the few things that I've considered going to OSHA over.

When I was double shifting on the local sort a couple years back, we had major issues.
And if you turned the belt off to get yourself a safe walkway, the supervisors had a whole bag full of intimidation tactics to try to force you to keep it on.

We got it fixed eventually, but it was way harder than it should have been, and took way too long.
If I encountered the same situation today, I'd probably call OSHA.

Thebrownblob

I haven't, but egress issues were one of the few things that I've considered going to OSHA over.

When I was double shifting on the local sort a couple years back, we had major issues.
And if you turned the belt off to get yourself a safe walkway, the supervisors had a whole bag full of intimidation tactics to try to force you to keep it on.

We got it fixed eventually, but it was way harder than it should have been, and took way too long.
If I encountered the same situation today, I'd probably call OSHA.
Absolutely when I come in the morning and Preload is buried in packages they tell me they’re afraid to shut the belt off I shut it off for them. It’s clear OSHA violation. The last time it was reported OSHA called the company and they worked out another deal to come a day when they could “massage” the building.