UPS Whistleblowers- Happy National Whistleblowers Appreciation Day!

Integrity

Binge Poster
Couldn't you have given an example of whistleblowing that didn't involve water?

Not trying to complain, but I feel like this topic may have been covered once or twice in other locations.
NP Off the top of my head these are some issues that I have been involved with.

Egress is definitely a good one.

Yard Control Safety Violations

Some Machine Guarding Issues

Lack of Maintenance of Equipment

Injury reporting falsification, misreporting and retaliation for reporting injuries and accidents.

Retaliation for bringing up safety concerns.

Just to name a few.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I suspect you refuse to answer the question because you do not actually understand the ruling. UPS has a mountain of lawyers to analyze these things and if they can get away with it legally they will. Now tell me where in the country a UPS package car has water at 50° all times?
Don't dare question Miles Finch!

Integrity

Binge Poster
I suspect you refuse to answer the question because you do not actually understand the ruling.
I think I do.
UPS has a mountain of lawyers to analyze these things and if they can get away with it legally they will.
What do you think UPS is actually getting away with here?

At my building bottled water is available by the pallet.
Now tell me where in the country a UPS package car has water at 50° all times?
50 degrees? I am not looking to split hairs here.

Integrity

Binge Poster
You’re damn right Mr Center Manager. If you don’t give us free water, I’m telling on you.

Do you see what you’ve done?

You’re now bringing up serious issues, extreme heat in the package cars, but your integrity is already shot.

People are tired of hearing your bullcrap over the little issues, so now they are not listening when you bring up the big issues.

Do you know the parable about the boy who cried wolf?
Is it your opinion that addressing heat related illness/injuries at UPS and addressing concerns about the application of best practices for UPS to prevent and minimize their occurrence is a small issue?

Thebrownblob

Is it your opinion that addressing heat related illness/injuries at UPS and addressing concerns about the application of best practices for UPS to prevent and minimize their occurrence is a small issue?
See you try to miss characterize what I’m saying. It’s not a small occurrence. You’re choosing to defer to an Agency that clearly works hand-in-hand with the company and expecting an outcome that is beneficial to us. If they were not working hand-in-hand these inspections would truly be a “surprise” and not scheduled at the company‘s convenience.

Integrity

Binge Poster
See you try to miss characterize what I’m saying. It’s not a small occurrence. You’re choosing to defer to an Agency that clearly works hand-in-hand with the company and expecting an outcome that is beneficial to us. If they were not working hand-in-hand these inspections would truly be a “surprise” and not scheduled at the company‘s convenience.
That quote wasn’t directed at you. I definitely don’t believe you see it this way.

It was in response to what @Trucker Clock posted.

Thebrownblob

That quote wasn’t directed at you. I definitely don’t believe you see it this way.

It was in response to what @Trucker Clock posted.
I believe the problem is legitimate. I don’t know if the current solutions will fix them completely. Until then I will personally take personal responsibility of my health and safety, mostly because I do not believe UPS nor OSHA cares any further than what litigation might come from my injury or death.

Thebrownblob

Personally I have a company supplied cooler, and company provided ice to keep my drinking water suitably cool. I know not everyone is as “lucky” as me.
They also gave out brown water jugs with the UPS emblem on them this summer summer, I received one and put water in ice in it and it only stayed cool for about three hours in the back of the truck, no way it was in the 50 to 60° range temperature wise. Is that sufficient?

Trucker Clock

Nope. Free water is.

We’ve survived for over a century before OSHA mandated free water.

Adults know how to take care of themselves and stay safe. We do not need our employer nor the government to keep us alive. That is our responsibility.

Trucker Clock

Personally I have a company supplied cooler, and company provided ice to keep my drinking water suitably cool. I know not everyone is as “lucky” as me.

Because you’re the only one without personal responsibility. You’re the only one that relies on the Company to keep you alive.

We all manage just fine. I make $100K a year. I can afford a water jug and fill it with free water provided by UPS before I leave.

Pullman Brown

Under federal law and regulation at 49 CFR 392.3, drivers are prohibited from driving when ill or tired, and companies are not allowed to require or allow a driver to operate a commercial vehicle if the driver’s ability to drive is impaired by such conditions as illness or fatigue. This is known as the “driver fatigue rule.”

Six day punches! Whistle Blow this!

Nah
NP Off the top of my head these are some issues that I have been involved with.

Egress is definitely a good one.

Yard Control Safety Violations

Some Machine Guarding Issues

Lack of Maintenance of Equipment

Injury reporting falsification, misreporting and retaliation for reporting injuries and accidents.

Retaliation for bringing up safety concerns.

Just to name a few.
Here's one: soap and water in the bathroom. A few months before I got my education transfer I went on vacation. Got exposed to hep A (didn't get it myself). I became a stickler for soap and water. Soap was almost always empty. It was an ordeal trying to get them to fix it.

Trucker Clock

Here's one: soap and water in the bathroom. A few months before I got my education transfer I went on vacation. Got exposed to hep A (didn't get it myself). I became a stickler for soap and water. Soap was almost always empty. It was an ordeal trying to get them to fix it.

Yep.

He wants to spend all his energy and time pushing for free water instead of the actual important stuff.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I'm luckier than you. Today I will be standing in a cold mountain stream while fishing. All I have to do is dip my bottle into the water for all the free drinks I want. Only downside is the people downstream as their water might have some urine in it.