usa: 50% of 25 year olds living at home w/ parents, 30% of 30 year olds are living at home w parents

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I think what could straighten out this situation is MANDATORY two year National service for every 18 year old.
That's a terrible idea. What would hold together better? A few drops of high quality glue, or an entire bottle of sh***y glue?

i live in a resort area and the new trend here is disgusting us. parents of our generation are buying their 20 and 30 somethings HOUSES now. most of these kids are ski and beach bums and they have minimum wage jobs and have parties every weekend and BRAG about what new toy their parents have recently bought them.

I think what could straighten out this situation is MANDATORY two year National service for every 18 year old. either the military, Peace Corps or other service to their country and teach them the responsibility that the gawddam PARENTS couldn't teach them.

You can't fault the younger generation when the baby boomer generation is enabling them.
Resort area, eh. Think I could transfer there and get adopted by a baby boomer?

Gear

Parts on Order
i live in a resort area and the new trend here is disgusting us. parents of our generation are buying their 20 and 30 somethings HOUSES now. most of these kids are ski and beach bums and they have minimum wage jobs and have parties every weekend and BRAG about what new toy their parents have recently bought them.

I think what could straighten out this situation is MANDATORY two year National service for every 18 year old. either the military, Peace Corps or other service to their country and teach them the responsibility that the gawddam PARENTS couldn't teach them.

You can't fault the younger generation when the baby boomer generation is enabling them.

I agree, the parents handed out all the free money are the problem. I wouldnt work if my parents just handed me everything. Not that I work hard now. My brother never left home, now my niece moves in with my parents with her kid. My parents have 4 kids, 3 left home, one stayed, add my niece and her kid and they are back up to 3 dependents. Soon my niece's loser boyfriend will move in.

newfie

to quote the expert in the article (who frequently is quoted on the tv show keiser report):

young adults are living at home because of:

"-Heavy levels of student debt

-Lower wages

-Inability to afford current home prices and in many markets, current rents"

i havent seen too many articles on young generation being unambitious, but i have heard critiques of them being stuck in technology. and the parents should have set a good example for their kids by continuing the civil unrest of the 60s and 70s in america.

but like i said it comes down to capitalism in decay for america, and poor government policy which is partly because people dont organize and protest.

thank Obama

Star B

White Lightening
You can place blame anywhere you want, but the majority of the blame goes to the parents and the :censored2:ty upbringing and enabling behaviors. Why work when your parents will provide? There will always be someone who has pride and feels embarrassed by their parents.. but that isn't the case here.

Would you run around in a package car/semi/center all day if UPS were to just deposit your paycheck weekly, no questions asked? I'm sure there would be people that would anyway, to break the monotony of being at home... but there are plenty of people in this world that would stay at home and do other things.

rickyb

i think mandatory civic activism would be better, and schools should teach it. but thats exactly the opposite of what hte corporate state wants. the military is a big mind:censored2:.

yea we have the same thing up here its called the bank of mom and dad.

i think parents are :censored2: ups in a way that they are so conservative and watch propaganda and are basically consumers instead of citizens. but who knows 99% of the population is like that.

right now theres an epidemic of middle age white people committing suicide because the jobs are going going gone, which is how a guy like donald trump gets support, so the economy is terrible for younger people as well.

on top of that young people are stuck in debt servitude because of bad government policy which is probably meant to control people.

rickyb

Why don't you buy in to a coop?
yea ive searched "coop" in job searches but didnt find anything that caught my interest. theres probably a list of all the coops in my country that i can search for and maybe ill find one that i can call up.

i know theres a bank which is some partial coop where i live, it also does living wage so it pays its tellers $21 / hr or something.

rickyb

More Young Adults Live With Parents Than Not—for the First Time in 130 Years

"Right now is the worst time in the country’s history to be a renter, according to statistics reported last year by the real estate database Zillow. As I wrote in a recent AlterNet story:

"Rents have never taken up this much of the American paycheck. Mortgage prices have remained relatively stable over the last several years, while rent has skyrocketed. A Bloomberg article points out that the cost of homeownership is actually at a historic low, while the rate of homeownership is also lower than it has been in years. With home ownership is at its lowest rate in five years, apartment living has become increasingly competitive and some landlords appear to be taking advantage of the situation."

i’d argue the various trends are interconnected. If, for instance, you’ve gone to college only to accrue heaping debt, can’t find a job in a related field, the job you do have pays less than a living wage ($15/hour), you can’t afford to live on your own because rents are worse than ever, and you've got nothing saved up for a downpayment on a house, you're probably less than inspired to settle down nuclear family-style and raise some kids behind a picket fence. "

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree, the parents handed out all the free money are the problem. I wouldnt work if my parents just handed me everything. Not that I work hard now. My brother never left home, now my niece moves in with my parents with her kid. My parents have 4 kids, 3 left home, one stayed, add my niece and her kid and they are back up to 3 dependents. Soon my niece's loser boyfriend will move in.

They are not dependents---they are freeloaders----huge difference.

yea ive searched "coop" in job searches but didnt find anything that caught my interest. theres probably a list of all the coops in my country that i can search for and maybe ill find one that i can call up.

i know theres a bank which is some partial coop where i live, it also does living wage so it pays its tellers $21 / hr or something.
Credit unions are coops. But not for the employee.

More Young Adults Live With Parents Than Not—for the First Time in 130 Years

"Right now is the worst time in the country’s history to be a renter, according to statistics reported last year by the real estate database Zillow. As I wrote in a recent AlterNet story:

"Rents have never taken up this much of the American paycheck. Mortgage prices have remained relatively stable over the last several years, while rent has skyrocketed. A Bloomberg article points out that the cost of homeownership is actually at a historic low, while the rate of homeownership is also lower than it has been in years. With home ownership is at its lowest rate in five years, apartment living has become increasingly competitive and some landlords appear to be taking advantage of the situation."

i’d argue the various trends are interconnected. If, for instance, you’ve gone to college only to accrue heaping debt, can’t find a job in a related field, the job you do have pays less than a living wage ($15/hour), you can’t afford to live on your own because rents are worse than ever, and you've got nothing saved up for a downpayment on a house, you're probably less than inspired to settle down nuclear family-style and raise some kids behind a picket fence. "

Vegas still has some good housing deals. But the other two houses I have are the worth more than they ever have been. I've also lived in 3 other places, those houses also are very expensive. My first house that I bought in 1992 for $105K is for sale today @ $289K. I've seen housing prices skyrocketing these last 4 years. Last summer I was looking for a place with a dock, but between 2012 and 2015 prices went up about 50-60%. I found myself priced out of the market.

Ricky, Wells Fargo just introduced a 3% down loan, last week. I think it's a conventional loan. But we also have FHA loans, HUD loans, etc. there a ton of low down loans. What is historically low is mortgage rates.

Who says $15 an hour is a living wage? I could not live on that. I think that is brainwashing people. I could only live on $15 if I was receiving my pension too. The US average hourly income is about $25.50.

That is the problem, when I was looking for work, I got the first job I could. Then I kept looking, then I got a better one, and so on. I built on my experience each time. The mindset of just sitting back until something interests you is holding you back.

My youngest boy went out on Monday looking for a job. He was working on fishing boat. He filled out 3 applications. One called him back Tuesday and he worked 14 hours that day. Worked 52 hours that week. It wasn't his first choice, but he's making $15 an hour plus o.t. He thinks that after a couple weeks he will get a raise based on his experience. Meanwhile he will be looking for something better. I grew up hearing "life is only as hard as you make it".