usa: 50% of 25 year olds living at home w/ parents, 30% of 30 year olds are living at home w parents

Indecisi0n

Spoiled College Grad Demands New Dress Code at Job, Gets the Boot

College kids have a pretty easy time getting their way on campus. Just make enough of a stink and the universities cave.

Unfortunately, these students eventually reach a little place called the real world, where things aren't so forgiving. One recently wrote in to an advice columnist because the antics he'd gotten away with elsewhere suddenly didn't work.

You see, Junior was at his internship, and he wanted the company to have a more lax dress code. Plus, they noticed one of the regular staff wearing shoes that weren't in line with the standard dress code, and that just wasn't right. So, this individual got together with his fellow interns and wrote up a proposal for an alternate dress code (hmm ... ) accompanied with a petition (whoops!) and sent it on.

The next day, all of us who signed the petition were called into a meeting where we thought our proposal would be discussed. Instead, we were informed that due to our “unprofessional” behavior, we were being let go from our internships. We were told to hand in our ID badges and to gather our things and leave the property ASAP.

We were shocked. The proposal was written professionally like examples I have learned about in school, and our arguments were thought out and well-reasoned. We weren’t even given a chance to discuss it. The worst part is that just before the meeting ended, one of the managers told us that the worker who was allowed to disobey the dress code was a former soldier who lost her leg and was therefore given permission to wear whatever kind of shoes she could walk in. You can’t even tell, and if we had known about this we would have factored it into our argument.

The reality is that colleges -- the educational institutions that are theoretically supposed to prepare these kids for the real world -- did these students a disservice by treating every petition or pet cause as valid, allowing the inmates to run the asylum. When the students hit the real world, WHAM!
Keep one thing in mind. College are businesses and they don't want to piss off their "customers". From a businesses stand point: Suck it up for a few years and collect their $100k+.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I agree, the parents handed out all the free money are the problem. I wouldnt work if my parents just handed me everything. Not that I work hard now. My brother never left home, now my niece moves in with my parents with her kid. My parents have 4 kids, 3 left home, one stayed, add my niece and her kid and they are back up to 3 dependents. Soon my niece's loser boyfriend will move in.
Who's fault is this?

Gear

Parts on Order
Who's fault is this?

Parents and grandparents who hand out money and give everything for free. So the older generation would be at fault. Kids dont want to work, kick them out and let them live under a bridge. It wont take long for them to wake up and get a job. Why point the finger at the lazy young ones, they're not handed out the money?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
With so many out of work and all new jobs are going to newly arrived immigrants .
It's time to bring back mandatory services; be it join the military or a civil works project .
Many of the civil works done back in the 1930's have not been maintained and could used some upgrading .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

With so many out of work and all new jobs are going to newly arrived immigrants .
It's time to bring back mandatory services; be it join the military or a civil works project .
Many of the civil works done back in the 1930's have not been maintained and could used some upgrading .

...or we could require all newly arrived immigrants spend two years in either the military or a civil works project...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

The WPA and CCC were New Deal "Commie" ideas that worked wonderfully, added greatly to our national infrastructure, and employed hundreds of thousands of Americans. A modern equivalent would be an excellent idea, but Republicans would kill it. Count on it.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
There's a good old fashioned "conservative" idea.... make it mandatory everyone work for the government. lmfao.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
the US military budget is 600 billion dollars, a lot of it is waste. tighten up that belt and we could spend 100 billion dollars in public works to shore up our infrastructure.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
the US military budget is 600 billion dollars, a lot of it is waste. tighten up that belt and we could spend 100 billion dollars in public works to shore up our infrastructure.
The waste of military funding starts with obama .
Making the US Navy pay $26/gal for organic fuels with oil being so cheap today .

brown bomber

brown bomber
I actually have my 23 yr. old daughter still at home. Both of my daughters graduated on time and under budget,..I paid for half of their college education, they paid the other half by working 30 hrs. a week while attending school. My daughter who is still home does her own laundry, contributes to the shopping budget, and cuts the grass, and has actually tried to use the snow blower. They have NO college debt,..I think I've done OK,...When I look at some of their friends....they owe so much it's scary

Indecisi0n

I actually have my 23 yr. old daughter still at home. Both of my daughters graduated on time and under budget,..I paid for half of their college education, they paid the other half by working 30 hrs. a week while attending school. My daughter who is still home does her own laundry, contributes to the shopping budget, and cuts the grass, and has actually tried to use the snow blower. They have NO college debt,..I think I've done OK,...When I look at some of their friends....they owe so much it's scary

23 years old you say...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I recall correctly you postponed your retirement to help your daughters through school. While this is admirable, every financial adviser that I have ever talked to or heard/read have said that you should worry about yourself first and help out your kids, if possible.

This is what they make student loans for.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Grow the :censored2: up!!!!!!!
image.jpg

newfie

Why Milennials Are Stuck Living At Home With Parents | Zero Hedge

in america 50% of 25 year olds are living at home with parents, 30% of 30 year olds are living at home w parents

instead of working a low paying job at 40 hours a week, these rotten lazy kids need to being working 80 hours a week! whats wrong with this generation?!?

certainly capitalism leaving america for low paying jobs overseas has nothing to do with it. and im positive the average $30,000 student debt (highest in the developed world) for a bachelors degree has nothing to do with it...

take one fact and then add your own negative conclusion.

I know two kids that meet your criteria. one moved in with mom and dad while he saves up to buy a house, the second broke up with his girl friend and is back home while he looks for another place to live.

I would also be curious to see how these numbers were arrived at . my kids in between college and job related moves kept our house as their primary mailing address even though they did not live here .

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
There's a good old fashioned "conservative" idea.... make it mandatory everyone work for the government. lmfao.

The NeoCons have effectively killed-off the unions and middle class, and then they try and blame the liberals. RTW states, anti-union deals like the one FedEx has, and lots of $12-$14 per hour jobs with crap benefits are GOP paradise.[/QUOTE]

Babagounj

Strength through joy
What percentage of the fleet uses biofuel...like 1%?
As of 2013 according to the Navy's Energy Coordination Office ,the Navy spends $4-$5 billion per year on the roughly 1.3 billion gallons of fuel. But fuel price swings can raise that cost by as much as $1 billion in any given year—forcing the Navy to cut back, sometimes very significantly, in critical areas.