Vote NO Explained

542thruNthru

@LagunaBrown You keep telling everyone that we've had a two tier driver since 1997.

Please tell them the rest. That these so called two tier drivers (PT Cover Drivers) were never meant to drive year round. The Union decided to allow that after the fact.

Also cover drivers only make up 10% of driver work force (at least where I am). 22.4 will be up to 25%. Before you tell me that they will only hire the same amount that deliver on Saturdays let me ask you a question. What's to stop the company from running double the number of drivers but having them load their own trucks? We already run 12 Sat routes in my center and they all do 11-12 hours.

cachmeifucan

Could a local that is in central states pension plan get put into a company plan. And then have the payout increased from 100 a full-time year to 175.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
@LagunaBrown You keep telling everyone that we've had a two tier driver since 1997.

Please tell them the rest. That these so called two tier drivers (PT Cover Drivers) were never meant to drive year round. The Union decided to allow that after the fact.

Also cover drivers only make up 10% of driver work force (at least where I am). 22.4 will be up to 25%. Before you tell me that they will only hire the same amount that deliver on Saturdays let me ask you a question. What's to stop the company from running double the number of drivers but having them load their own trucks? We already run 12 Sat routes in my center and they all do 11-12 hours.
....and continue to hire vacation replacements and seasonal drivers, while violating with air drivers?

Those of you RPCD's that want the OT, the 50-60 hour weeks....kiss them goodbye.

panther

The kid in the videos explaination of the vote no does not apply to everyone either. In the West we get $129,000 to pension over the life of the contract (if working 2080) but we can do better??? I want a economist to review this not a kid. Does he even know we already got two tier drivers in 1997 under Ron Carey with what many consider our best contract ever. Anyone know if he has been elected as a steward, a BA or ran for office at his local. Just because a youtube video says we can do better is hardly enough for me to follow like a sheep. This contract is all about Supplements and Rider language. I know some areas are a "no" and some are "yes" depending on them. I mean this was put out before the regional language was even finalized and FB ate it up.
Yes the cover driver language that was created in 1997 has been manipulated and taken advantage of I whole heartedly agree, so why in the world has it taken 20 YEARS to do something about it. I see this excuse over and over for the creation of 22.4.

542thruNthru

....and continue to hire vacation replacements and seasonal drivers, while violating with air drivers?

Those of you RPCD's that want the OT, the 50-60 hour weeks....kiss them goodbye.

We don't have seasonal drivers here and Cover Drivers were made for peak and Vacations. I don't see the air driver violations like you seem to have in your local. No need for it here with the way they use CDs like 22.4s here.

I totally agree with the lose of OT. I see that going away in this 5 year contract. I don't want it but I don't want to punish the people that do.

LagunaBrown

I thought I already said they were never meant to be year round, if not here is was another post. Either way you are correct about that. There are two problems with this. One your about 20 years too late and two cover drivers in our area should of had a ratio attached that entitled you to getting more full time drivers. (This was filed by a steward and lead by our Local which was a nice benefit to that language). Now I am drifting off a little because what happens is two tier language is all over the place. The problem is nobody really does it the same. Today at the 2 man O made it clear they already have them as well. What the 22.4 Language is really doing is upgrading the “cover driver” or whatever the two tier driver is called in your area and making it universal. One name and same job functions and making it full time pensions contributions since part times were workin full time hours with only part time pension contributions.
I do think that 22.4 will certainly have the ability to load their own cars but if the company did not abuse hour of RPCD with a two tier driver in the last 20 years what makes you think they will now? Like I said cars on road plays a big part in the equation as well. You have daily guarantees and are protected so how will this effect you. Have you read the language in the SWPR protecting RPCDs extra work?

panther

I think it would depend on the routes they cut. Is an old washed up driver going to come off his route and go blind somewhere or go home?
Well if you have 50 rpcd drivers and they decide to run 35 routes, are the 15 gauranteed their 8 hrs?

LagunaBrown

Why does it say " all long as work is available in the master"?
Great question. Ok your rider language over rides the National Master UNLESS it specifically says so in the Master. as you noticed the “as long as work is available” is in paragraph 4 and 5.

Paragraph 4 is for RPCDs and does NOT specifically say the NMA can over ride it so go read your rider for your work day work week guarantee. That is where your protection for RPCD is. If you have superior language in you rider then it must be honored. If you have less then that’s a problem.

Now if you notice Paragraph 5 is for 22.4’s if you read that language it does say that specific paragraph (5) over rides your rider. This paragraph has nothing to do with RPCD’s and is for 22.4’s. If you had superior language for a 22.4 it would now be reduced to that paragraphs workday work week and “if work is available”. Which makes sense because all 22.4’s would be laid off before any RPCD.

Do you see the difference? The NMA has to specifically say if it over rides any supplements or rider.

Last edited:
Great question. Ok your rider language over rides the National Master UNLESS it specifically says so in the Master. as you noticed the “as long as work is available” is in paragraph 4 and 5.

Paragraph 4 is for RPCDs and does NOT specifically say the NMA can over ride it so go read your rider for your work day work week guarantee. That is where your protection for RPCD is. If you have superior language in you rider then it must be honored. If you have less then that’s a problem.

Now if you notice Paragraph 5 is for 22.4’s if you read that language it does say that specific paragraph (5) over rides your rider. This paragraph has nothing to do with RPCD’s and is for 22.4’s. If you had superior language for a 22.4 it would now be reduced to that paragraphs workday work week and “if work is available”. Which makes sense because all 22.4’s would be laid off before any RPCD.

Do you see the difference? The NMA has to specifically say if it over rides any supplements or rider.

I just dont understand why you don't care about that dangerous language being anywhere near you. Your supplement or rider may override it, but that is a bargaining chip wasted because that language shouldn't even be in the master. I get the autonomy of supplements and all, but you seem to just get yours and be happy with it, friend everyone that's not in the SW. FT guaranteed hours shouldn't be threatened in any language anywhere.

watdaflock?

What is the guesstimate how much our volume would drop, if we did strike? All of our business will immediately switch to Fed Ex, or some other transport option.
If we did strike, how many drivers would be out of work because of the loss of volume?

What is the guesstimate how much our volume would drop, if we did strike? All of our business will immediately switch to Fed Ex, or some other transport option.
If we did strike, how many drivers would be out of work because of the loss of volume?

It would cost us more jobs than any crappy job class. A strike is no good for either the company or us, literally a no win situation. That's why we have extensions, strike is a LAST resort.

LagunaBrown

I just dont understand why you don't care about that dangerous language being anywhere near you. Your supplement or rider may override it, but that is a bargaining chip wasted because that language shouldn't even be in the master. I get the autonomy of supplements and all, but you seem to just get yours and be happy with it, friend everyone that's not in the SW. FT guaranteed hours shouldn't be threatened in any language anywhere.
Our riders protect us, that is s good thing why are you giving me crap? If yours does not then why are you not trying to get it fixed? I know for a fact other locals did. You know why am I the only one who posted the results of my supplements and riders. Are you guys even checking yours? Why not post it either way. In another post I told people to talk to their BA and find out but got ridiculed for it. Can I get some informed Tesmsters telling me if they have protection in their area or not.