Wage progression update.

Bottom rung

Just talked to my b.a. he says the language is in stone. No grievance will change the fact that drivers in progression at the time of ratification get hosed. That whole negotiating committee needs to go.

oldngray

nowhere special
Workers in progression always get hosed when there is a wage increase while they are in the middle of progression. It has always been that way.

Quigley

I hope you have that in writing signed. I seriously doubt UPS corporate is going to allow a center manager to make a decision like that. I hope it is true but I am not holding my breath!
It wasnt a meeting with the center manager, it was with labor.

Quigley

Well you still haven't answered my question, so let me ask you this. What does the last sentence in that section say?

If you can't see that they are related then I don't' know what else to say. If that wasn't in the contract then UPS could argue they don't get the old progression bump on their seniority date. Ergo, 70¢ raise Aug 1, and a 50¢(or whichever year you are in difference) seniority date raise which you would not get.
Here is the answere to your question:
Article 41 Section 2(c) of the prior Agreement shall remain in
effect for all employees in that progression as of the date of the ratification.

So let me see if I understand what you are saying. Section 2(c) says that drivers under progression prior to Aug 1 stay on the 3 year progression and pay rate. But you have to have this sentence in the new contract:
They will be paid no less than what they are entitled to in accordance
with Article 41, Section 2 below.
in order for 2(c) to be valid. Because if that sentence that says cant be paid any less, wasnt there then the company doesnt have to follow the old contract and pay whatever they want. PRAISE GOD AND PASS THE BUTTER, I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT.
I now understand what you were trying to tell me. I'm so releived we got this settled.

Inthegame

Workers in progression always get hosed when there is a wage increase while they are in the middle of progression. It has always been that way.
How are they getting “hosed”? By getting the GWI’s which only kick in because of the new agreement? Or is it the extra $25K they’ll make more than the 4 year guys when they get out of the onerous three year progression? Do a little math and you might see how not “hosed” these guys actually are.

Quigley

They are getting hosed by making less then the new guy. I think you would feel the same if you were in that position. Or maybe not. Maybe you would be ok with making less then the guy who started after you.

scisector9

Help my simple brain understand entirely. I have seniority date July 15 2013. In my understanding I will get gwi and my pay will go to 17.95. Also I will get retro from August 1 until contract passed of .70. And I will only be at the two year rate for two weeks from July 15-August 1 and then the gwi of another .70? Am I correct here? Or am I in a grey area since I didn't attain seniority until September?:eek:

Sent using BrownCafe App

Quigley

Help my simple brain understand entirely. I have seniority date July 15 2013. In my understanding I will get gwi and my pay will go to 17.95. Also I will get retro from August 1 until contract passed of .70. And I will only be at the two year rate for two weeks from July 15-August 1 and then the gwi of another .70? Am I correct here? Or am I in a grey area since I didn't attain seniority until September?:eek:

Sent using BrownCafe App
Doesnt matter when you attain seniority. What matters is what your seniority date is.

oldngray

nowhere special
Your seniority date is when you attain seniority. Date of hire which may or may not be the same as your seniority date doesn't matter.

scisector9

Thanks quig. Although I am disappointed making less than the guy hired today I appreciate the 3 year progression. It will entail a bit tighter budget for a couple years but from the simple math I've done it will be 15-20k more over four years. Probably more with the retro and gwi. Just seems like a funny way of doing things. Cheers!

Sent using BrownCafe App

oldngray

nowhere special
You are wrong. Your seniority date is the fist day of the 30 days worked in120 days

Not if you are hired during free period. Then your seniority would be the first day you work after free period. If you start before free period then your seniority date will go back to the first day you worked.

scisector9

My seniority date is my hire date based on our driver board/ vacation schedule. The date I attained seniority is not listed anywhere on any sheets. I'm in 710 so we don't have a deal yet so I can't ask my steward but from my and his understanding my progression and wages will be based on my July 15 date and my September date when I made my 30 won't matter. Thanks guys.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Quigley

Not if you are hired during free period. Then your seniority would be the first day you work after free period. If you start before free period then your seniority date will go back to the first day you worked.
I agree with you. But I'm confused why you said your seniority date is when you attain seniority? If you meant that once you attain seniority then your seniority date becomes the first day worked (assuming it wasnt during the free period) then I agree with you. And the GWI is based on your seniority date and not when you attain seniority.

oldngray

nowhere special
I agree with you. But I'm confused why you said your seniority date is when you attain seniority? If you meant that once you attain seniority then your seniority date becomes the first day worked (assuming it wasnt during the free period) then I agree with you. And the GWI is based on your seniority date and not when you attain seniority.
My point is seniority date is not always the same as hire date. He said he had seniority date in both July and September which is impossible.

scisector9

Tried to clear that up. Made my 30 in September and got my first raise then. Seniority date is July 15. No seasonal free period. Thanks

Sent using BrownCafe App

Mr.McFeely

Had a meeting with labor today. This is whats happening in our local. If you are in progression as of Aug 1 2013, you get the .70 cent raise. If the .70 cent raise puts your hourly rate at less then what the new rate is, you get the new rate. If the .70 cent raise puts you over the new rate, you get the higher rate.
Example: Driver is making $17.25 per hour + .70 = $17.95 New rate is $18.75. Driver will get the new rate of $18.75.
Because of the retro checks being processed right now, payroll will not do any payroll adjustments on the new rate till the retro checks are all processed, at which point they will do new wage rates and back pay.
Now I know there will be those that will say its not right and I'm full of it but thats ok, this is what the drivers are getting and no amount of critisism will change that.
How did you manage that? The new contract states that we stay at the old progression. But it does state that we are do the $0.70 increase. My local is trying to side with UPS saying we don't get a raise at all! This whole thing is crazy it should be the same nationwide!!! They need to read what the contract states which is very clear! It doesn't matter if you are in progression or not! It States on page 23 Article 41
-All full-time employees who have attained seniority as of August 1 2013 will receive the following general wage increases for each contract year!
Anyone that was hired before Aug 1 2013 has attained seniority!

JL 0513

Another thing I noticed about the language regarding the retro pay. Why does it only effect August 1- March 1? My anniversary occurs each April. My pay never changed from March 1 until late April. So why wouldn't I get the .70 between those dates?

kingOFchester

From the IBT:
http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/ups_fulltimewageflier-051914.pdf

All Package Drivers who are senior and in progression on August 1, 2013 receive the contractual wage increases and remain in the 2008-2013 thirty-six month wage progression.

Example 1: Full-Time Package Driver with a seniority date of March 1, 2011

Start: $16.10
Seniority: $17.25
Seniority plus 1 year (3/1/12): $18.45
Seniority plus 2 years (3/1/13): $20.75
August 1, 2013 *
Seniority plus 3 years (3/1/14) Top Rate from 08-13 Contract**

* April25,2014:uponcontractimplementationthewageratewillbeadjustedretroactivelyfrom8/1/13to 3/1/14, incorporating the 70 cent GWI to reflect a wage rate of $21.45 for that period of time;

** andasof3/1/14toreflectthe2013-2018contractualTopRate.

Example 2: Full-Time Package Driver with a seniority date of March 1, 2012

Start: $16.10
Seniority plus 1 year (3/1/13): $18.45 August 1, 2013*
Seniority plus 2 years (3/1/14): $20.75 August 1, 2014: +$.70 = $21.45
Seniority plus 3 years (3/1/15): Top Rate

* April25,2014:uponcontractimplementationdriverremainsat$20.75,theretrocheckwillhavethe70 cent raise incorporated from 8/1/13 to 3/1/14 reflecting a wage rate of $19.15 for that period of time.

Example 3: Full-Time Package Driver with a seniority date of March 1, 2013

July 31, Start: $16.10
August 1, 2013*
Seniority plus 1 year (3/1/14): 18.45 August 1, 2014: +$.70 = $19.15
Seniority plus 2 years (3/1/15): $20.75 August 1, 2015: +$.70 = $21.45
Seniority plus 3 years (3/1/16): Top Rate

* April25,2014:oncontractimplementationdriverremainsat$18.45,theretrocheckwillhavethe70cent raise incorporated from 8/1/13 to 3/1/14, reflecting a wage rate of $17.95 for that period of time.