Wal-Mart the ugly...handing out raises FDX next?

bacha29

It's a PR move in an effort to promote the image of a Walmart that pays a living wage in the hope that fewer employees would qualify for low income entitlement programs which are in reality a form of corporate welfare. Hopefully other low wage sectors of the economy will soon come to the realization that they may not be able to get away with this practice for very much longer.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
It's a PR move in an effort to promote the image of a Walmart that pays a living wage in the hope that fewer employees would qualify for low income entitlement programs which are in reality a form of corporate welfare. Hopefully other low wage sectors of the economy will soon come to the realization that they may not be able to get away with this practice for very much longer.
Yeah, it's claimed to be the direct result of Republican tax legislation, so it couldn't possibly be as effective as what we got the last eight years.

Wait, what?

vantexan

Shouldn't you be glad that they're at least doing something? A lot of people were saying the corporate tax cut would only benefit the rich, they'll pocket it all for themselves. Hasn't turned out that way.

bacha29

Shouldn't you be glad that they're at least doing something? A lot of people were saying the corporate tax cut would only benefit the rich, they'll pocket it all for themselves. Hasn't turned out that way.
No they didn't pocket it all for themselves but what does this represent as a percentage of the overall savings? The thing to keep in mind is that the general belief is that this uptick in GDP created as a result of the tax reform plan will only last for one year. If that's the case then what will the Trump administration do next to keep the economy on the pace needed to ward off huge budget deficits?

BootsOnTarmac

Will FedEx Express handout raises?

Maybe.

Remember the Frontline Pay? Gone.

Pay raises based upon performance / safety / sick days, Etc., Gone

Gone is also the requirement for High School / GED for lower level positions.

I doubt that FedEx (Express) will bring back performance reviews affecting pay.

With the tax law changes I would like to see FedEx reinstate Frontline Pay, compensate / help employees who seek and achieve their GED and raise the tuition reimbursement.

Those on the step plan should also see a substantial increase, rewarding those who stuck it out providing years of service to build the company.

Maybe I'm just dreaming rainbows and unicorns.

vantexan

No they didn't pocket it all for themselves but what does this represent as a percentage of the overall savings? The thing to keep in mind is that the general belief is that this uptick in GDP created as a result of the tax reform plan will only last for one year. If that's the case then what will the Trump administration do next to keep the economy on the pace needed to ward off huge budget deficits?
The corporate tax cuts are permanent. And workers have more money in their pockets for at least 10 years before their tax cuts expire. More money spent by just about everyone will create jobs, which are taxed. And as long as they have power the Repubs will look to trim government spending.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Maybe.

With the tax law changes I would like to see FedEx reinstate Frontline Pay, compensate / help employees who seek and achieve their GED and raise the tuition reimbursement.

Those on the step plan should also see a substantial increase, rewarding those who stuck it out providing years of service to build the company.

Don’t bet the farm on that.

vantexan

Maybe.

All those things have been gone for awhile. And raises have been lousy for a long time. I think most people would be satisfied with quicker top out times to better pay. The company finally did that. You get compensated with much higher pay than Wal-Mart employees do. It does suck that someone can come off the street and top out in 9 years while a 10 year employee is looking at 8 more years, maybe 7, to top out. But it's better than what they were doing by a long shot. At this point if you want better from FedEx go into management. The compensation you're getting now is better than when they gave little profit sharing checks, etc. FedEx doesn't owe anyone UPS pay. If you want that kind of compensation go to work for UPS. Believe me they aren't happy either.

bacha29

The corporate tax cuts are permanent. And workers have more money in their pockets for at least 10 years before their tax cuts expire. More money spent by just about everyone will create jobs, which are taxed. And as long as they have power the Repubs will look to trim government spending.
Take a moment and read what New York Fed president Bill Dudley said today regarding the impact the tax cuts will have on the sustainability of the overall economy starting next year. The guy certainly knows more about the economy than you and I and even he believes that the GDP will only grow by 2.75% at best in 2018. Cut spending? Yes, and you know where it will be cut and how it could impact you in the years ahead.

bacha29

Employees were not even informed of the closings. They found out this morning when they got to work.
In their press release announcing the closings Walmart stated that among other reasons for closing was to "realign" it's store locations to better enable it to attract people who earn from $75,000 to $125,000 per year. Pretty obvious what this all means.......They don't want poor people hanging around their stores anymore. Time to head off to the poor man's Tiffany's ....Dollar General.

BootsOnTarmac

Don’t bet the farm on that.

I'm not.

My future is set at FedEx Express. I will retire with a Traditional, PPO and a 401K.

I'm now concerned about the current employees and new hires that I work with. So many after many years see little rewards for their service. New hires are told by old timers how great the company was. Apathy sets in and working for FedEx now becomes just a job and not a potential career.

Old timers were given incentives, good pay with top outs after a few years, bonus checks for performance, Bravo Zulus, shift differential, performance based pay increases, maybe even a free Turkey at Thanksgiving.

Hopefully FedEx Express will step up.

Still dreaming of Unicorns and Rainbows

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Old timers were given incentives, good pay with top outs after a few years, bonus checks for performance, Bravo Zulus, shift differential, performance based pay increases, maybe even a free Turkey at Thanksgiving.
Man, that is such a distant memory now that I almost forgot it actually was that way once upon a time. How times have changed... :mellow:

vantexan

I'm not.

My future is set at FedEx Express. I will retire with a Traditional, PPO and a 401K.

I'm now concerned about the current employees and new hires that I work with. So many after many years see little rewards for their service. New hires are told by old timers how great the company was. Apathy sets in and working for FedEx now becomes just a job and not a potential career.

Hopefully FedEx Express will step up.

Still dreaming of Unicorns and Rainbows
And how much did they top out with back then? And all those little perks were to keep topped out people somewhat happy because they weren't given raises for much of that time after topping out. I started in '86, became FT courier in '88. It was great because they treated us pretty well and we thought we had a future. But it never was unicorns and rainbows.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Take a moment and read what New York Fed president Bill Dudley said today regarding the impact the tax cuts will have on the sustainability of the overall economy starting next year. The guy certainly knows more about the economy than you and I and even he believes that the GDP will only grow by 2.75% at best in 2018. Cut spending? Yes, and you know where it will be cut and how it could impact you in the years ahead.

Why should I believe Bill Dudley instead of other similarly qualified folks who say otherwise?