Warning Letter for a No Scan

Dr.Brownz

Also you generally will not get discipline for no scans if you message in from the location that it's missing. I always message in now after getting a verbal a few months ago on a no scan. If I find it I just go deliver it but if I don't my ass is covered.

There is a "NOT FOUND" button in the DIAD. How does no one seem to know this? Management at my center were even clueless till I educated them

Roller252

There is a "NOT FOUND" button in the DIAD. How does no one seem to know this? Management at my center were even clueless till I educated them
Apparently using the "NOT FOUND" function in the diad to designate a missing pkg as such is not sufficient.

From what I've been told it goes nowhere electronically except out of your board / off the screen. I've asked multiple times how/why this function does not communicate to the center when there seems to be a report for every sec of our days but not this. It works for misloads when sent in correctly.

Whither

Scofflaw
Apparently using the "NOT FOUND" function in the diad to designate a missing pkg as such is not sufficient.

From what I've been told it goes nowhere electronically except out of your board / off the screen. I've asked multiple times how/why this function does not communicate to the center when there seems to be a report for every sec of our days but not this. It works for misloads when sent in correctly.

Yup. Here you still have to send in a message w tracking and address to CYA. And even then you'll be on the DNED report sometimes bc 'it was scanned to your car.'

PPH_over_9000

Hmm...I was trained to back at a brisk walking speed. 3.2 mph isn't all that brisk.

Guess that no longer applies.

BTW, is there a written limit on backing speed? Serious question.

Idk if this is company-wide or based on your region or local, but we're told not to exceed 3mph when backing. I first heard about it at Integrad, though.
Helper didn't get out to observe a back !!!!
That's fn ridiculous, when did they start that BS ????
They put back up camera on the Brownie ,and you are a trained professional !
if you used the helper to back and you hit something , would helper be getting a warning letter ???
These people are out of control !!
Never needed a back up camera or spotter in my brownie days ,, thank god I'm in feeders now ,, I couldn't take the nonsense they put you guys through today
They were so serious about it. Yeah, the helper's supposed to get out and spot every back (every. single. one.) The helper didn't get a warning letter.... he got fired, man. They wrapped up that observation by telling me to take him back to his car because he's proven he can't work safely and as a result could no longer be a UPS employee. The back that he didn't spot? A 3-point turn (more like a 7-point turn really) at the bottom of a dead ending street of townhouses. It was super tight and I was going forward 6 inches, back 6 inches, forward 6 inches, back 6 inches until I was turned around.

It was bull:censored2:, dude.

I'm pretty sure all these petty little backing rules are to keep us from backing at all.

quad decade guy

Idk if this is company-wide or based on your region or local, but we're told not to exceed 3mph when backing. I first heard about it at Integrad, though.

They were so serious about it. Yeah, the helper's supposed to get out and spot every back (every. single. one.) The helper didn't get a warning letter.... he got fired, man. They wrapped up that observation by telling me to take him back to his car because he's proven he can't work safely and as a result could no longer be a UPS employee. The back that he didn't spot? A 3-point turn (more like a 7-point turn really) at the bottom of a dead ending street of townhouses. It was super tight and I was going forward 6 inches, back 6 inches, forward 6 inches, back 6 inches until I was turned around.

It was bull*, dude.

I'm pretty sure all these petty little backing rules are to keep us from backing at all.
Well, every ride I ever had in a pkg car the sup got out and spotted the back. Every one.

It is interesting. I wonder how the Big Union Guys would react to this. Since there is supposed to be progressive discipline....and all.

If the helper was supposed to do it, why didn't he? Work as directed...right?

Does the speedo register in reverse? I've never looked....too busy looking where I'm going...never even thought about it. Serious question.

quad decade guy

I hardly went to any PCMs in my final year before I went feeder. I just didn’t care anymore.
Were they optional(PCM's)? Where were you? Serious questions. A whole year? What would happen if you missed a critical piece of information for example? Granted a lot of them were just same ol same ol......

Roller252

I'm not risking my job and trusting a seasonal helper to spot me backing. Half the time you can't get them to delivery to the right house when you park directly in front of it, light it up with a flash light and point.

PPH_over_9000

Does the speedo register in reverse? I've never looked....too busy looking where I'm going...never even thought about it. Serious question.

He didn't get out because it slipped both of our minds. I was in the zone getting from one stop to the next like I do every day without a helper, and before I knew it I was driving as if I didn't have someone riding with me. Honestly, if anyone's to blame for him not getting out, it would be me. I even owned up to that and tried to get him on-car with any of the more experienced drivers who know all the ins and outs of having a helper, but no dice.

Telematics registers backing speed in my center. Average backing speed is on one of the reports they post up every morning, along with number of backs and a whole slew of other numbers.

I'm not risking my job and trusting a seasonal helper to spot me backing. Half the time you can't get them to delivery to the right house when you park directly in front of it, light it up with a flash light and point.

Right?! My response was something along the lines of "Well... if I need someone to spot every back, how do I back when I don't have a helper?"

And the answer was basically that the methods change when you have a helper.

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
He didn't get out because it slipped both of our minds. I was in the zone getting from one stop to the next like I do every day without a helper, and before I knew it I was driving as if I didn't have someone riding with me. Honestly, if anyone's to blame for him not getting out, it would be me. I even owned up to that and tried to get him on-car with any of the more experienced drivers who know all the ins and outs of having a helper, but no dice.

Telematics registers backing speed in my center. Average backing speed is on one of the reports they post up every morning, along with number of backs and a whole slew of other numbers.

Right?! My response was something along the lines of "Well... if I need someone to spot every back, how do I back when I don't have a helper?"

are the helpers trained to spot you while backing?

i ask because a few years ago i was making deliveries in nyc in a 26ft straight truck to a dock controlled by teamsters, so i couldn't back in until the required 2 teamster spotters were there to assist. one to control traffic around my front end and one to guide me while i backed in to the dock. the guy in front is waving people around and the guy behind is waving me in. i'm lined up and backing, he's waving me in , i'm backing and baaaam!

turns out he hadn't fully opened the dock door (it was winter time and cold outside) and he had backed me straight into the door. they raised the door enough for me to get in and unload, i left and when i got back to my shop they were watching the video from the different angles on the dock. they were laughing because it was 100% on the spotter.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Well, every ride I ever had in a pkg car the sup got out and spotted the back. Every one.

It is interesting. I wonder how the Big Union Guys would react to this. Since there is supposed to be progressive discipline....and all.

All my "safety" rides ended up being production rides. Not once did an on road stup get out and look. And I was still 130 over every time. friend-%$ ups fairy tale numbers.

Driver7906

Were they optional(PCM's)? Where were you? Serious questions. A whole year? What would happen if you missed a critical piece of information for example? Granted a lot of them were just same ol same ol......

I was either loading the last of the bulk into my truck or already out on the road. My spot was outside so it was easy to leave without being seen.

I had no time or no longer the desire to humor or listen to the “same ol same ol”. I lost my passion for that job. Corporate took the fun out of it. Feeder made me proud to be a UPSer again.

Nah

I don't know. A brisk walking speed for me would be about 3.7 to 4.2 mph. As I said, I was trained to back at a brisk walking speed. Either way, they post the reports and my average backing speed is 2.6mph. My supervisor would tell me I'm still backing too slow if he rode with me.
They don't want us to back. Or so they say. Then they give us Orion, which blows everything up.

Whither

Scofflaw
I don't know. A brisk walking speed for me would be about 3.7 to 4.2 mph. As I said, I was trained to back at a brisk walking speed. Either way, they post the reports and my average backing speed is 2.6mph. My supervisor would tell me I'm still backing too slow if he rode with me.
Here the reports are only highlighted if your average backing speed is over 5mph.

They don't want us to back. Or so they say. Then they give us Orion, which blows everything up.
And how! Orion would have me make 60 resi backs a day to meet its 'mileage allowance' :rofl:

AKCoverMan

Only thing the “not found” button does is remove the package from your EDD display. The DIAD still has the data it just won’t display on screen. If you actually do find the package and scan it after using the “not found” it will still populate the delivery screen.

The “not found” does not communicate to the center or even document anything it just gets the package off your EDD screen if you no longer want to see it because, you know, it’s not on board. Also if you do remove it with the “not found” and someone else eventually reports it as a misload or sheets it up you will not get the “package found in another area” pop up, Frankly I like to get those so I know what happened to the package so I almost never use the “notfound” function.

But I DO send an ODS msg from the stop advising I don’t have package. Just good old CYA. And if I do find it later I will send another so they know why I’m breaking trace or running long.. I have a 100 mile rural route so backtracking can be time consuming thankfully I load my own car so it’s rare I can’t find a package. Of cou we if I do screw it up I just always blame my loader...🤣🤣

Cowboy Mac

Sounds like you probably shouldn’t have driven down that street if you have to do 7 backs just to get out. Still I wouldn’t rely on anyone to spot me, because that person may not be seeing the whole picture. If anything goes wrong in that situation it would still be your fault.