We’re done

UnconTROLLed

perfection
That is what I was noticing the last 5 years of my career. The new drivers have a different attitude .They rarely listen to the ol timers. The on-road supes said the same thing.
Yeah the "have/get it now" mentality is definitely a factor. Whenever on road and learning, I was always asking questions as well as questioning everything, too.

Also, I do think that with technology and new features that were unavailable in the 1990's (even early 2000's) and prior, the job has become much more easy concerning the "thinking" and planning aspect. The newer and younger generation don't see the job as the older folks do. It's flat-out easier to load young gunners up and there's a better chance they will "get 'er done", given GPS turn-by-turn and etc. stuff out there.

Last edited:

That's a bunch, assume it was because the wife was transferred/changed jobs, and you followed her? Each time you knew the consequences of each transfer, though.
I transfer mostly for a change of pace. No other reason. The first couple came up and we said “what the hell, let’s go”. Thought I might try to transfer 1 or 2 more times. But now I’m in a vacation/retirement community. I think we’re staying here.

Of course I know I’m at the bottom of the list for layoff, and route bidding. I am reducing expenses right now. Relandscaped the yard, evicting non paying tenants and eliminating moorage expenses. I know if a strike were to occur, I may have to find work elsewhere. I’m ok with that, this last transfer was worth it. Maybe fedex could use an old washed up teamster.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
That is what I was noticing the last 5 years of my career. The new drivers have a different attitude .They rarely listen to the ol timers. The on-road supes said the same thing.

It was amazing to me. I came to the company with almost 14 years truck driving experience but was always grateful to an older driver willing to give me advice on a better and safer way to do something.

I call this generation the "entitlement generation" They are making close to 100k a year right out the gate and think they know everything. It's very scary. The last year I was with UPS , the on-road manager started a "mentor" program and asked 3 senior drivers and I was one of them to take new drivers on ride-alongs who had 2 accidents or problems with us to show them proper methods and the things I had learned over 30 years.

A couple of the drivers were very grateful and constantly thanking me but some of them did not want to listen. We had them go for 3 days but I told the manager a couple times I am not taking that driver again. They just did not want to listen or learn.

I told the boss these people were just major accidents waiting to happen. What could he do? In the past in non union companies I worked for the boss could get rid of drivers like these. Only the best drivers could stay. At UPS you have a slew of mediocre drivers that don't give a :censored2: because of their seniority and union job protection and where is the incentive to do a good job or get better?

I knew drivers at my old non union jobs that would put many UPS drivers to shame driving and safety wise but are making a third of the money with hardly any bennies. I just was lucky and won the lottery when I was hired as a Christmas driver back in the early 90's and then afterwards they asked me to go full time.

Can only imagine how you got them to “ask” you to go full time

F

Frankie's Friend

Yeah the "have/get it now" mentality is definitely a factor. Whenever on road and learning, I was always asking questions as well as questioning everything, too.

Also, I do think that with technology and new features that were unavailable in the 1990's (even early 2000's) and prior, the job has become much more easy concerning the "thinking" and planning aspect. The newer and younger generation don't see the job as the older folks do. It's flat-out easier to load young gunners up and there's a better chance they will "get 'er done", given GPS turn-by-turn and etc. stuff out there.
Get er done when they often don't get to work. Ok.

F

Frankie's Friend

Do we have arrogant, high seniority drivers? Of course. We have almost 450 drivers. With that many, you're gonna get a slice of everything in society. But the vast majority are good people.

Most of our problems are coming the new generation of go-go package car drivers that bring their bad habits and attitudes with them. They don't want advice and they don't do the job the way they were trained, for various reasons.

As for the holier than though drivers, I just ignore them. They have both bearing on the way I do my job.
You dont have a "one sided talk" with them?

Box Ox

I call this generation the "entitlement generation" They are making close to 100k a year right out the gate

Not true. They’ve got a 4 year pay progression while delivering twice the stops at up to twice the package weight. Whole lot different experience from the old timers who topped out quickly and were making full rate when the hammer dropped for both.

Nobody will ever be able to convince me that the old timers who are recently retired, or near retirement wouldn’t bitch all the time if they were starting their 30 years under today’s conditions.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Not true. They’ve got a 4 year pay progression while delivering twice the stops at up to twice the package weight. Whole lot different experience from the old timers who topped out quickly and were making full rate when the hammer dropped for both.

Nobody will ever be able to convince me that the old timers who are recently retired, or near retirement wouldn’t bitch all the time if they were starting their 30 years under today’s conditions.

Hell we bitched about it 30 years ago

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

The IBT has been selling out "the unborn" for decades, and if the latest rumor is true, we are looking at more of the same.

I think it sucks....

542thruNthru

She is a fool. Not only do they have the 4 year progression but most areas you will not go full time for over 7 years!

100k out of the gate. What a ID10T!

Box Ox

Hell we bitched about it 30 years ago

And that’s perfectly fine as long as the current-day newbie bitching over looking down the barrel at decades to go of insane production standards isn’t whittled down to “THOSE DAMN MILLENIALS! KIDS THESE DAYS ARE pusillanimous! BACK IN OUR DAY WE WOULD HAVE SAID “:censored2: YOU”, SWINGSET/TRAMPOLINE/REFRIGERATOR/LAWNMOWER/GRILL” AND SMILED ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK!”

PT Car Washer

And that’s perfectly fine as long as the current-day newbie bitching over looking down the barrel at decades to go of insane production standards isn’t whittled down to “THOSE DAMN MILLENIALS! KIDS THESE DAYS ARE pusillanimous! BACK IN OUR DAY WE WOULD HAVE SAID “:censored2: YOU”, SWINGSET/TRAMPOLINE/REFRIGERATOR/LAWNMOWER/GRILL” AND SMILED ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK!”
The Union does not recognize production standards.