We’re done

542thruNthru

Can I transfer there? How do the lower seniority cover drivers not get bumped by higher ones.

Higher seniority guys have their own routes or don't want to upset their on roads/ center manager.

We also have 2-3 guys that shuttle LIB and missloads daily. They always seem to be the guys not on a route to do it so when everyone's gone they can be sent home if they want the day off.

Higher seniority guys have their own routes or don't want to upset their on roads/ center manager.

We also have 2-3 guys that shuttle LIB and missloads daily. They always seem to be the guys not on a route to do it so when everyone's gone they can be sent home if they want the day off.
Shutting sucks. Too boring. We have 3-5 people shutting everyday. It’s open to anyone. They will put 8 hr requests on shuttle sometimes.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Those are usually higher seniority drivers. Mgmt don’t really like them.

That's your problem, you have the wrong people in your blame chamber. And I've got some shocking news for you: the higher seniority drivers don't care what management thinks of them.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
You're unbelievable! Dracula is one of the most respected and knowledgeable members on the BC. I may joke sometimes here and some members can't handle it but most should know when I am being serious, especially in feeder matters.

one thing i don't miss being retired is some of the :censored2: feeder drivers I had to deal with just like here on the BC. But I can ignore certain BC members and i see there a lot of comments from you people by all the missing comments I don't see.

Do we have arrogant, high seniority drivers? Of course. We have almost 450 drivers. With that many, you're gonna get a slice of everything in society. But the vast majority are good people.

Most of our problems are coming the new generation of go-go package car drivers that bring their bad habits and attitudes with them. They don't want advice and they don't do the job the way they were trained, for various reasons.

As for the holier than though drivers, I just ignore them. They have both bearing on the way I do my job.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My point, which you all seem to be missing, is that had the senior driver been forced to burn his days before being allowed to use dead days he would not have had any days left and the junior driver would have been given the day off.
I know the days I want off later in the year. Had I been forced to use vacation days instead of dead days the last few months I would have worked instead. Either way I'm still gonna get the days I really want.

That's your problem, you have the wrong people in your blame chamber. And I've got some shocking news for you: the higher seniority drivers don't care what management thinks of them.
What exactly is my problem? I am just observing what has gone on in my 6 buildings over the years. This is the first time in 28 years that I here of people wanting to drop out of the union.

I come to work. I do a route. I sometimes help the few that don’t help themselves. I go home and deal with investment/maintenance problems. End of day.

upschuck

What exactly is my problem? I am just observing what has gone on in my 6 buildings over the years. This is the first time in 28 years that I here of people wanting to drop out of the union.

I come to work. I do a route. I sometimes help the few that don’t help themselves. I go home and deal with investment/maintenance problems. End of day.
You've transferred 5 times?

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
I already tried to plant seeds about crossing. Many of these guys will if it comes down to it.

I’m in the south. My city is booming, tons of high paying tech and high paying blue color work.... these guys don’t understand that the tech/blue color guys work 2/3rd what we do and make 3/4 what we do.
What is expected in production and what the wage is has been out of balance for a good while. This is one of many reasons the company is getting less than quality people. The new generation on the scene is not going to work like the last two.
The profit from intimidation and sweat from drivers will be less.
U-nder P-aid S-lave has become a reality.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Do we have arrogant, high seniority drivers? Of course. We have almost 450 drivers. With that many, you're gonna get a slice of everything in society. But the vast majority are good people.

Most of our problems are coming the new generation of go-go package car drivers that bring their bad habits and attitudes with them. They don't want advice and they don't do the job the way they were trained, for various reasons.

As for the holier than though drivers, I just ignore them. They have both bearing on the way I do my job.
That is what I was noticing the last 5 years of my career. The new drivers have a different attitude .They rarely listen to the ol timers. The on-road supes said the same thing.

It was amazing to me. I came to the company with almost 14 years truck driving experience but was always grateful to an older driver willing to give me advice on a better and safer way to do something.

I call this generation the "entitlement generation" They are making close to 100k a year right out the gate and think they know everything. It's very scary. The last year I was with UPS , the on-road manager started a "mentor" program and asked 3 senior drivers and I was one of them to take new drivers on ride-alongs who had 2 accidents or problems with us to show them proper methods and the things I had learned over 30 years.

A couple of the drivers were very grateful and constantly thanking me but some of them did not want to listen. We had them go for 3 days but I told the manager a couple times I am not taking that driver again. They just did not want to listen or learn.

I told the boss these people were just major accidents waiting to happen. What could he do? In the past in non union companies I worked for the boss could get rid of drivers like these. Only the best drivers could stay. At UPS you have a slew of mediocre drivers that don't give a :censored2: because of their seniority and union job protection and where is the incentive to do a good job or get better?

I knew drivers at my old non union jobs that would put many UPS drivers to shame driving and safety wise but are making a third of the money with hardly any bennies. I just was lucky and won the lottery when I was hired as a Christmas driver back in the early 90's and then afterwards they asked me to go full time.

upschuck

Yes, 5 transfers. That makes 7 buildings if you count being borrowed for a few months. Not counting satellites of course.
That's a bunch, assume it was because the wife was transferred/changed jobs, and you followed her? Each time you knew the consequences of each transfer, though.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
That's a bunch, assume it was because the wife was transferred/changed jobs, and you followed her? Each time you knew the consequences of each transfer, though.
I believe they are talking about bidding between buildings. Here you can "transfer" to different buildings. I believe we have 7 in our local. I have transferred three times, the 3rd being a seniority bump out to a hub in 2008. If not, nevermin sorry!@ :D