"Welcome to the Hamster Wheel"

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
For those on this site who researched this contract and voted their convictions..Bravo..Job well done no matter the final outcome. I have no doubt that a vast majority of those who voted "NO" were high seniority, highly informed unionist who saw the pitfalls of this contract and previous ones and were hoping for improvements to correct past injustices and improve our work environments.

This national and most of the supplements contract "WAS" voted down, no matter how many people tells you the opposite. That so called 117,000 who did not turn in a vote are not members, the members are the ones who cared enough to turn in a ballot, one way or another. With the starting pay for any new part timer being locked in at slightly higher than the state minimum rate, if not below it, this will be a continuing factor that half of our dues paying membership will not vote in the upcoming contracts. That over 50 % is just a pie in the sky formula, it will never happen. In fact with each and every forced contract and supplement it drives a nail into any hope of the majority of the membership that voted can change the system for the better.

Maybe, just maybe with the new leadership coming in 2021, these bylaws that trump the best wishes of the majority that VOTED will be updated or improved. Right now there is way too much executive power in Washington and the ones who are protesting their decisions have too much to lose it they decided to force the issue. Will the new people in power be willing to change the status quo, or continue to do business as usual after this debacle or are we all just venting and spinning the wheel going nowhere.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Look up @hellfire.... and check out the statement below his avatar.

I made that statement some time ago, but it pretty much rings true.
Is this your quote....that you are quoting???
(which is about as tacky as referring to yourself in the third person)

Thats why, no one considers UPS people.... "real" Teamsters.-BUG

Because you said it then....or now, doesn't make it true.

....and you aren't, and never will be, in the position to speak for anybody but yourself in this regard.

The Teamsters would die a quick and very painful death without UPSer's, so a thank you seems more fitting than that self proclaimed garbage you seem so proud of.

~Bbbl~™

F

Frankie's Friend

It was an accurate depiction then, as it is now.

Sometimes.... the truth hurts.

Could you be any more melodramatic ?

Face facts.

-Bug-
What is "That's why"?
Solidarity in 97 meant nothing?

We are always the step children. Except when it's time to pay dues of course.

DELACROIX

I did some quick math over the 2016 General Election. We have from last count 1.3 million teamster's members, only 200,000 voted..for a grand total of 15 % that even bothered to turn in a ballot..1.1 Million did nothing...

According to those statistics "No one is a real Teamster"...:rolleyes:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I did some quick math over the 2016 General Election. We have from last count 1.3 million teamster's members, only 200,000 voted..for a grand total of 15 % that even bothered to turn in a ballot..1.1 Million did nothing...

....at least 85% anyway???

Coldworld

60 months and counting
What is "That's why"?
Solidarity in 97 meant nothing?

We are always the step children. Except when it's time to pay dues of course.
And to pay up for orphan teamster members pensions when their company goes under and ups teamsters are stuck holding the bag????

SameRightsForAll

That's because Not Voting is the same as Voting Yes Twice, or the same as cancelling out every other No vote. The table is rigged to take away the voices of those opposing a bad contract. The logic behind this is that we're supposed to just trust our leaders did the right thing even though this contract shifts probably 1 billion in UPS profits away from the working families and back into the greedy company. According to that spokesperson, the union has never had enough strike power and that the rogue Ron Carey strike of 97 will never, ever, happen again.

DELACROIX

Carey never allowed UPS's best, last and final offer to be voted on prior to the strike action knowing full well that the membership would probably vote it in over fears of pension underfunding. Corporate knew about the coming pension liability issues and saw an opportunity to cut their losses before it got more out of control. I still have a UPS pension flyer from over 20 years ago offering 100 dollars per full time service year and 50 dollars for all part time service years. They wanted to offset it from the very start with credited service under the teamster's run plans, not waiting till age 65.

This past strike vote was for show it had no teeth, everybody on the negotiating table from both sides played the dog and pony show.

F

Frankie's Friend

Carey never allowed UPS's best, last and final offer to be voted on prior to the strike action knowing full well that the membership would probably vote it in over fears of pension underfunding. Corporate knew about the coming pension liability issues and saw an opportunity to cut their losses before it got more out of control. I still have a UPS pension flyer from over 20 years ago offering 100 dollars per full time service year and 50 dollars for all part time service years. They wanted to offset it from the very start with credited service under the teamster's run plans, not waiting till age 65.

This past strike vote was for show it had no teeth, everybody on the negotiating table from both sides played the dog and pony show.
I have to say that when the company brought out multiple page "offers" to the strike lines they depicted performance based compensation and HMOs it didn't help their case.

They wanted more subcontracting and there's no way they would have agreed to create thousands of full time jobs without the work stoppage.

We know the pension was the main stumbling block in 97 but even though I was a newer employee I got the message the hourly wanted to personally send back to the company...
"We don't trust you and how you treat us is the reason why".

From what I saw, that's the glue that created the solidarity the world witnessed.
The customers already knew the daily stress on us from the company and they sucked it up and stood with us.

A couple years of allegedly being "self directed" did not wipe out the memory of many years of harassment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Look within and study deeply, and allow consciousness to guide you in the way of the cosmos. Interface accordingly as you cultivate knowledge among your comrades. Common chattel united against the machine, we shall behest our charge!

W