What’s the wear and tear on average UPS driver?

25TOLIFE

52 years old. Shoulder gone, elbow gone, one knee going. Lower back and neck issues but maybe I'm just not aging well and would still have all these problems without having worked at ups for 26 years.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Just curious if anyone has information about what happens to a drivers body daily in regards to ergonomics, average distance walked, average amount of weight carried, pounds of pressure on specific joints? What amount of force it takes to close bulkhead door, rear door, etc. I know every route is different, so there isn’t a one size fits all answer, but just curious if anyone has data or statistics. I’m sure UPS does all kinds of studies on this. Just want to know how certain repetitive motions effect your body and what happens long term.
Sitting in a cubicle all day is so much worse for your body. Nuff said

Dumbo

It's a blue collar job. Get over it. You think UPS drivers have the most laborious job out there? There are countless jobs with long hours, high risk of injury or death, and heavy workload on the body. If you workout outside of work to remedy muscle imbalances, eat a decent diet, sleep, and work on flexibility, you will be able to stay in any job longer.

As stated above, a desk job is worse on your body than a job where you are on your feet all day. I can honestly say I feel sorry for the limp wristed, upper cross syndrome suffering pencil pushers I see when I deliver to offices. I'll bet they end up with back issues before I do.