What about UPS Cartage?

wizard

They have already closed the menlo hub in dayton havent they? And built new heavyfreight hub at louisville or so i thought I know our routing labels all start now with w wich means worldport.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
They have already closed the menlo hub in dayton havent they? And built new heavyfreight hub at louisville or so i thought I know our routing labels all start now with w wich means worldport.

Yeah, they did. I just forget when it ceased operations. Sorry :blushing: . I think I heard somewhere they planned to add on to several existing UPS Air hubs to cover the flow of Menlo freight. I know Rockford, Illinois was on that list as was Philly and WorldPort. Maybe our air hub at Columbia, South Carolina too? I forget the details, let alone the dates but there are articles on this board about this subject. -Rocky.

Steven

grandfathered
I to was an Menlo employee, in fact I have been driving for the original company which was Purolator,then Emery,then cf emery,then cnf emery then to menlo then to Ups Cartage.For 25 years I have seen alot of changes.The Ups buy out has been the worst for us.We were told that Ups wanted us because of our expertise in handling the unlimited weight items for years and thye werent going to change a thing! HAHAHAHAHA.They close our hubs lay off 95% of them, and then they tell our sales staff to go out and anyone who ships small packages to switch them over to brown! My benefits went skyhigh from $60.to $150. a week for some of us! We now drive most of the time at 72 mphto get our freight off by noon.On the average our stops have dropped by 90%. And we travel on the average of 300to 425 miles aday!We are trying to join a Union now along with all the other cartages to save our jobs,along with getting more money and better benefits.WE are no threat to brown,infact you have gotten more countries to go into now because of our merger,and you now have all our small pkg customers to.WE have always been the leader in large freight but with ups we are now chagering the customers high amounts of dollars because they ship ugly freight(freight that is now square) so we are even loosing alot of them to!At this time I can honestestly say Im not sure of even what our company name is? ARe we ups supply chain, or are we still ups cartage? They still dont know what to call us so thats why you dont see our name at all on any adv or info in ups. Thats why we feal the we are on the way out! Oh ya, I had a year and one half before I could have retired with 30 and out with my age and years of service.Now i have to work 10 more years.I have 23 years of safe driving , now They say I only have 2.Overnight freight got to keep there time and safe driving records while we got screwed.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
At this time I can honestestly say Im not sure of even what our company name is? ARe we ups supply chain, or are we still ups cartage? They still dont know what to call us so thats why you dont see our name at all on any adv or info in ups.

I haven't kept pace with a lot of these buyouts but it sounds like UPS blew a great opportunity when adding a few divisions. You make a good point about the advertising and marketing, sir. I didn't know UPS Cartage existed until I was trying to find a job in Denver last Fall and stumbled over it. In fact, I haven't seen any mention anywhere about Cartage. I hear about SCS all the time, reading interesting articles about them. I've seen UPS Cartage vehicles on the road and they're not the usual Buster Brown. No, these are white with the UPS shield and UPS Cartage emblazoned somewhere on the tractor, trailer or box (the ones I've seen most look like a Penske full-size van, which I forget the term for). -Rocky

Dixie Doll

The Hell You Say
Yes, I don't know what to make of all this, either. I was with CNF for years (way before all of this happened) - my husband is UPS. I'm disabled now, so UPS is all we have to fall back on. But, he is on the airline side. We just spent 6 months relocating to one of the Menlo stations, but now rumor has it that they intend to close this one and the other 5 or 6 that were the Menlo stations - supposedly because NONE of them are making any money??? Sounds like that was the plan all along. Dixie

wizard

I started this thread and i am really glad to see it is taking off. Things are real bad for us here we have lost sooo much business since ups took us over. I have no idea what we are called cartage? supply chain heck our supervisor dont even know. Hey how bout the moderators here make a section for us so we can at least have a name somewhere please??

Steven

grandfathered
As far as my leaders guess, we are still UPS Cartage, a division of Ups Supply Chain Solutions. The word out is that Ups still doesnt even know what they are going to finally call us.AS far as we all guessed in the begining we thought we were going to be called Ups Heavy Weight.That way people would still be covered for our ground ,air and ocean ships.But that made to much sense!Now we just want to get on with our lives under a finish name!So we can start getting some adv,going.

Steven

grandfathered
I have said all along that the only reason the UPs wanted us was to get into more countries! Since we were Emery and we had the rights to get into more countries than anyone..Also what better way to get rid of the competition for what little of the small boxes we did handle than to buy them out?

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
So Menlo folks----what would have happened if UPS did not aquire Menlo/Emery?? I know it was in the rumor stages for a long time before anything happened---probably because UPS was not sure as to what to do with everyone---how do you mesh a non- union company with a union one----or visa versa??

Anyway---it will all smooth out soon---I hope. I think that UPS is still trying to figure what to purchase next-------and do it before DHL or FedEx does--a lot of what UPS is doing is like playing Chess-----buy a company so our competiton can't------can you say "CheckMate"!!!

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
Hate to compare--but some of the comments sound like the MBE Owners after UPS purchased MBE and changed the name to UPS Stores.There are still a lot of old locations that are not happy because of the purchase by UPS.They can't charge the high "Handling" charges that they used to and it is all UPS fault-------even though US Paper Products (they use to own MBE) was getting ready to file Chap 11 and all of the MBE locations would have been in an interesting situation---maybe even out of business???

Steven

grandfathered
Well if Ups didnt buy us we would still be getting bonuses, we would be making more money even at 50 cents a year thats more than what we have gotten out of them now! I went from paying from 20 dollars a week to 60 with ups.Plus my deductable went sky high to.As far as how did the non union members work out, we have been screwed over by so many different policy changes that happen all the time that we have voted for all of central united states asfar as I am aware fo to go union now!WE have been trying to get a contract for over a year nowbut they both seem to blame each other!

Dixie Doll

The Hell You Say
So, is anyone familiar with the smaller 6 or so airline hubs that were Menlo's, before UPS took them over, and what their status is??

nosupport4u

As far as my leaders guess, we are still UPS Cartage, a division of Ups Supply Chain Solutions. The word out is that Ups still doesnt even know what they are going to finally call us.AS far as we all guessed in the begining we thought we were going to be called Ups Heavy Weight.That way people would still be covered for our ground ,air and ocean ships.But that made to much sense!Now we just want to get on with our lives under a finish name!So we can start getting some adv,going.

This is just me speculating, but I've kind of had the impression that UPS would eventually combine Cartage, Air and Ocean freight together with UPS Freight (ground freight). Maybe not as a singular operation, but probably as its own division.

tiegirl

tiegirl
I have wondered every time I saw a UPS Cartage what division I was looking at. Apparently no one where I work knew. Thanks for the posts. Sure hope everything works well for y'all. Would hate to hear that people with UPS lose their jobs. I see and read about companies closing and I thought UPS was work steady. DHL will stop all pick up and deliveries as of Jan 30, 2009. I was hoping this would be a big boom for UPS and everyone that workss for UPS. So hold on guys, I do not think anybody is going anywhere until after DHL is gone and the dust settles and we see what the market is doing at that time. But I have to think there are millions of packages just waiting for the Brown truck, officially, as of Febuary, 2009.

Dixie Doll

The Hell You Say
UPS is closing the Menlo operations at the Tucson airport in February. No more UPS flights coming in or going out of Tucson International to move the Menlo freight from Tucson to Phoenix, where it gets combined with the Phoenix freight before the flight terminates in Rockford, Il. Not sure of the exact people affected but I know that a couple of aircraft mechanics are being laid off. On the ground side, I assume the approximate 5 to 10 people will be relocated to the other Tucson facilities. I think there is a sort closing in Columbia, North Carolina. I can't remember the other locations specified.

bmuk04

Hello wizard. I am a UPS Cartage employee in Greensboro, NC. What do you think of UPS SCS? Where are you located? How long have you been with UPS?