What are the cardinal sins that will get you permanently fired?

Zowert

Carrying a firearm. Stew once told me about a driver back in the 90’s who would carry (or at least keep in the cargo area) a loaded 45. This driver had a route in one of the tougher areas of Oakland during the height of the bloods-crips gang war. Although you may be able to sympathize with him, it cost him his job when he forgot to drop it off at his car before going into center. A kid unloading his truck found it.

Eat Sleep Fish

Jig Master
^ One of the Menlo guys that came to UPS freight after we bought them out accidentally brought his pistol in his lunchbox. The scanner caught it and he was fired. He eventually got his job back believe it or not.

Kevodaslothlord

The Slothman Cometh...
Ive seen guys leave early without being told to do so by a Sup. Would this warrant it? Granted it was only like 10 minutes before they’d actually get to go home but still

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Ive seen guys leave early without being told to do so by a Sup. Would this warrant it? Granted it was only like 10 minutes before they’d actually get to go home but still
That’s job abandonment and depending on your sup is definitely a good way to get the axe.

turq

When I'm done I get my ass back to the building and punch out ASAP. The days of going to help someone else, are for the most part over. Plus I already answered the RTB time....so I am out of there! Since the whole 9/5 push I am averaging at least an hour of guaranteed time a week.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
One of our drivers on his 30 backed into a huge boulder, completely caved in the bumper and a chunk of the door. Said "it was like that when I came back." Yea, he didn't make it.

Major accidents during qualification will disqualify you, lying about them will lose you your job. But everyone is entitled to his day in court, so to speak.

If you are intentionally dodging your sup to get out early you are setting yourself up for disciplinary action. If there is an understanding that when your job is done, you can leave, then there isn't a problem. The flip side of leaving without permission is dodging your sup to stay on the clock and claiming you weren't told to leave, or saying you wandered the building for fifteen minutes trying to find a sup to ask if you could leave.

That’s job abandonment and depending on your sup is definitely a good way to get the axe.

Your sup will tell you it's job abandonment, but I suggest you ask an HR person what the definition of job abandonment is. A lot of people think leaving without permission is job abandonment, and a lot of people are wrong. If you leave before your work assignment is done, that's different than leaving after the job is done without permission, but it's still not the same as job abandonment.

When I'm done I get my ass back to the building and punch out ASAP. The days of going to help someone else, are for the most part over. Plus I already answered the RTB time....so I am out of there! Since the whole 9/5 push I am averaging at least an hour of guaranteed time a week.

If you are leaving before the guarantee is up, you should be asking if they have more work for you. Otherwise drivers are specifically instructed to punch out as soon after returning to the building as we can, once turn in is done and recovery and exception packages are turned in. Seems to me that the same should apply to part timers, most people know when their work is done, and sups should be offering extra work on a seniority basis before the sort is over, and only forcing the lowest seniority people to stay for extra work.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
What are the cardinal sins that will get your permanently fired and the union will not back you up?

A claim of a cardinal sin does not mean the Union will not back you up. It could be a false claim or they may be able to work something out depending on the severity. Even some arbitrators rule based on the severity. EXAMPLE: You are arguing with a sup and under your breath you say "bite me". If you have insubordination as a cardinal sin, that might be an offense to fire but the reality that you didn't direct the statement and it is very minor in the scheme of things would be factors to determine level of punishment. Another factor could be the Sup starting the argument in the first place. Most of the cardinal sin language says "up to discharge" or "just cause" which allows interpretation. Some sins weigh heavier than others. Usually drugs and alcohol leave no recourse.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
In car masturbation is one of those things where as long as no one knows it's ok.

The dogs on my route goes nutz when I do this in front of them...

sketch-1558314340758.png

How about signing for a customer?

giphy.gif

CalDrvr06

We had a full time driver sign for a package that was worth around 10k, Left it on porch. Customer called made a huge deal about leaving it and the value. Driver suspended about 30days without pay...still working