What do package handlers wear in a hot semi?

drenched

Yesterday was my first day package handling. Those semis are hot! My cousin works at UPS too. He said, "Class is done. Ditch the jeans and dorky polo shirts. Don't boil." He has a green mowhawk and 7 earrings. yesterday he worked in a half shirt that hardly went half way and cargo shorts that were torn and falling apart. He just laughs, says UPS trashes your clothes, that "lots of guys work practically naked when they're buried in the semis," that nobody cares, and to loosen up. I know my cousin always pushes limits so I want to know what other people say package handlers resort to wearing when its relly hot.

UPSer21

Operations Supervisor
Wear shorts, and a sleeveless tee shirt. Don't forget your work boots and scanning belt :p

In all honesty those things do get really hot in the summer. If I were you I would save any empty milk jugs, wash it out, fill it with water and bring it with you.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I used to be an unloader/sorter in the hub back in the late 80's. One summer, we had a gal who wore nothing but sweatpants and a "wifebeater" tank top with no bra. On a line with a bunch of horny 18-20 year old guys it was a major distracton, but the sups were all guys too and none of them had the nerve to go ask her to put one on. I think they finally found a female driver sup to go talk to her about it; she put on a bra but instead of a tank top she started wearing one of those see-though mesh football jerseys with the exposed midriff. All the guys were sad when summer ended and she switched to winter clothing...:dissapointed:

Notcool

Alot of guys wear wife beaters. Shorts in the heat and those "quality" UPS shirts I have been given like 6 of the same one LOL.

drenched

Thanks for the advice guys. I got good boots and I know about bringing water. I have an orange juice jug thats a little sturdier than the jugs milk comes in. Its less likely to bust if I kick it or something falls on it. Thats taken care of.

Whats a camelbak?

I'm going to wear shorts and a normal t-shirt today. My cousin also wears those see-through mesh football jerseys in this heat provided he has one that's clean enough to not stink. He wears nothing under it since he's a guy and says none of the sups ever seemed to care. He offered to do my own personal extreme makeover today LOL. I said no thanks.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A camelback is what runners wear. It is kind of like a backpack but it holds water and has a tube that you drink from. I don't think these would work well while unloading a semi.

City Driver

semi trailers in the summer get over 110 degrees alot of times....i remember when i was in high school and had my first job loading trucks we floor loaded everything from one of those conveyor belts u can extend into the nose of the trailer

it was so hot and i drank so much water and sweat so much i lost 20 lbs in 2 months and im not even overweight

SmithBarney

Mike57 if you are worried about the minute amount of chemicals in a bottle of water
you better stop buying food that comes in any kind of packaging...

Cementups

Box Monkey
It's not a fashipn show. It's work. Wear what is comfortable and wha tyou aren't afraid to destroy. and whatever you wear to UPS will never be worn in public agaain.

upser_J

I used to be an unloader/sorter in the hub back in the late 80's. One summer, we had a gal who wore nothing but sweatpants and a "wifebeater" tank top with no bra. On a line with a bunch of horny 18-20 year old guys it was a major distracton, but the sups were all guys too and none of them had the nerve to go ask her to put one on. I think they finally found a female driver sup to go talk to her about it; she put on a bra but instead of a tank top she started wearing one of those see-though mesh football jerseys with the exposed midriff. All the guys were sad when summer ended and she switched to winter clothing...:dissapointed:
that must have been one of the hottest summers ever hahaha... couldnt resist it!

upser_J

best advice... wear as little as possible, the more skin showing, the cooler you will feel... well at least thats what they say... wife beaters or any sleeveless shirts are great! some people wear sweatbands or headbands, which help keep sweat away from ur eyes or hands! and drink as much water as you possibly can! getting dehydrated makes work even more miserable!