what do part timers want in 2013

FAVREFAN

In no specific order.....
Seniority is seniority. I'm tired of being replaced by 22.3's with way, way less company time than I have.
Increase starting wage to $9.75-$10 p/hr.
Keep current health insurance.
Allow option week to be split into seperate days off.
4 hr gaurantee.
Slighty increased pension.
Allow me to buy insurance through the company for a 30 and out at 50 yrs old.(Used to be 50 here, now 55)
5 year deal, .90c p/year raise with no splits.
This all seems fair to me.

anonymous4

Jobs. The way it looks right now going full time might never happen. 22.3 are just not an option here. 14 years to go full time?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
According to FNN, our hub is creating 13 new FT 22.3 jobs in June. That is roughly 35 new FT jobs, outside of package car driver, 2010-2012.

Dynomite

Jobs. Been at UPS for four years and becoming a driver is no where near my sights. Only way to get a pay bump now a days to to become a supervisor, which is looking better every day....

anonymous4

Don't do it. The economy is improving (so they say). Let's see what the new contract brings. The elimination of 22.3 jobs needs to be stopped. I know exactly how you feel but that road is even less of a guarantee. Our time will come.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We have newly promoted FT supervisors in operators who are not required to make their 30 day seniority ride. OT but to address Dynomite.

brown_trousers

Don't do it. The economy is improving (so they say). Let's see what the new contract brings. The elimination of 22.3 jobs needs to be stopped. I know exactly how you feel but that road is even less of a guarantee. Our time will come.

The next contract needs to recognize the growing number of "career" part-timers. Right now the union is under the impression that EVERY part-timer wants to go full-time and therefore surrenders all seniority rights to full-timers. We need to make sure that all seniority is respected in all aspects of the workplace.

-If the union wants to create a new 22.2 or 22.3 job, they need to do it responsibly, they should wait until a part-timer vacates the position before converting it to full-time. There's no need to create animosity between us union members by making us fight to preserve our job and/or kick someone out of their job. There is WAY more than enough turn-over with PTers to not need to displace one to create a FT combo. Ive seen broken windows and slashed tires over this issue before. Its not right to take someone elses work!

-If someone must be displaced/bumped from their position. Then their seniority should be the deciding factor. Seniority is Seniority, whether it be FT or PT, we all put our years in at this company, PT and FT seniority should be treated equally. And as mentioned before, it shouldn't even be an issue, there is so much turn-over in the PT ranks that there is always a spot opening up that someone can slide into if they need to displace/bump.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Y should your 4 hours of clerk work be equal to my 10 hours on the road. Sorry that's your choice to to stay part time

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The contract addresses the situation.

You're called *part-time* for a reason.

There is no chance.... you will get some kind of of super seniority....

-Bug-

BT has a good point. The era of people working PT for a few years before going FT is over. There are PT employees who will retire as a PTer. The union needs to recognize this and make it part of their overall contract proposal.

OK, First off I'm new to this forum, so bare with me, but this issue is the reason I searched for info on my seniority "rights" and have found some great answers to most of my questions.
Thanks BC.
This is not really an answer to the thread, I just noticed where this was leading and feel the need to address my issues.
My UPS time .. 23 years part time inside hub , loader, pick off, sorter, yard shifter , irreg sorter, clerk , etc...
I know prior to '97 that seniority was company time as it relates to any bid full time job opening , not part time versus full time , or different lists.
I have passed up many full time bids because the money was less than my other job and UPS, less senior employee who wants / needs the job has it.
Now there's my problem , Times change , and company time should be all that matters in the bidding process.
Seniority "shall" prevail at all times.
Change that for 2013