what do part timers want in 2013

UnconTROLLed

perfection
OK, First off I'm new to this forum, so bare with me, but this issue is the reason I searched for info on my seniority "rights" and have found some great answers to most of my questions.
Thanks BC.
This is not really an answer to the thread, I just noticed where this was leading and feel the need to address my issues.
My UPS time .. 23 years part time inside hub , loader, pick off, sorter, yard shifter , irreg sorter, clerk , etc...
I know prior to '97 that seniority was company time as it relates to any bid full time job opening , not part time versus full time , or different lists.
I have passed up many full time bids because the money was less than my other job and UPS, less senior employee who wants / needs the job has it.
Now there's my problem , Times change , and company time should be all that matters in the bidding process.
Seniority "shall" prevail at all times.
Change that for 2013
I felt the same way but only when the seniority was "against" my particular situation. I now recognize that FT should always supercede part-time - and that, FT and PT should be considered separate employment status "when necessary" and on separate lists regarding vacations, days off, and general staffing / OT/forced OT, etc.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It's pretty selfish, for a long term part-time employee, to think they deserve equal seniority rights compared to a full-time

employee who puts in way more time, effort, and work.

Anyone who is a long term part-timer.... is because of choice. If you turn down full-time opportunities.... you live with your choice.

-Bug-

brown_trousers

It's pretty selfish, for a long term part-time employee, to think they deserve equal seniority rights compared to a full-time

employee who puts in way more time, effort, and work.

Anyone who is a long term part-timer.... is because of choice. If you turn down full-time opportunities.... you live with your choice.

-Bug-

Thats an interesting theory.. to either join us or lose your rights. Probably the same attitude that has perpetuated many injustices in this world.

theres no arument of how the seniority system is setup now. We are just discussing possible changes to a future contract. So yes... If you decide to stay PT now, you would be choosing to have inferior seniority. but theres always room to change a future contract for the better.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Part-time employee concerns, are not a priority at the negotiation table.

Thats just how it is.... Ron Carey is not with us anymore.

-Bug-

ftballer67

Part-time employee concerns, are not a priority at the negotiation table.

Thats just how it is.... Ron Carey is not with us anymore.

-Bug-

If that's the case, why should any part time employee with the option pay union dues? Furthermore it just reenforced the point that no matter how much any part time employee gets involved with the union, we will never get a fair shake at the table. Honestly if your mentality is the way the union views us, I hope RTW comes to my state and I'll vote with my dues. What a joke.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If that's the case, why should any part time employee with the option pay union dues? Furthermore it just reenforced the point that no matter how much any part time employee gets involved with the union, we will never get a fair shake at the table. Honestly if your mentality is the way the union views us, I hope RTW comes to my state and I'll vote with my dues. What a joke.
When was the starting wage last raised? Roughly 30 years ago.

The majority of part-time jobs are now completely unskilled. UPS will be union busting in no-time.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Part timer, your pay should be red circled if you take a fulltime job, at least in this area, so sorry if your language is different.

Sleeve, in 1982 all employees made the same wage part time and full time but a $500 signing bonus to employees at the time of the contract broght in the different pay rates.

In 97 we went from $8 and hour to start to $8.50, not much but it was a starting point for further contracts, plus 97 is when the 22.3 jobs came in to help part timers that wanted a more stable future.

Bug I can now see why you are no longer in Union office with your outlook on the part timers that work very hard every day at this company and for peanuts compared to fulltimers. Your right Carey is gone and he did what he could for all the members at UPS and included the part timers. This contract anything that doesnt help the part timers should be voted down by any and all UPS Teamsters!!

I was part time for 5 years, working 2 nad 3 jobs to make ends meat until I went fulltime. I have not forgotten how hard that was and I will never again vote for a contract that doesnt raise starting pay for part timers, that doesnt address their retirement future.

Our future of this company depends on who we hire today, if we dont hire people worth hiring the quality of workmanship will go down and we will lose our edge. Its a benefit for UPS and the Teamsters to address these concerns.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Speaking for the core of long term Pt's I work with we want the following:
*Benefits,benefits,benefits. That is why most of us work the part time job and pay close to the same amount of union dues that full timers pay.The benefit package negogiated by the IBT is second to none.
*A bump in the pt UPS pension maybe $10.00 a month times years of service.Last contract we recieved a $5.00 increase but only on present and future service from 2008 on. Years before that stay at the old rate.
*Increase the starting wage $8.50 is very close to minumum in many places. Loading and unloading packages for 4 hours is hard work and with no benefits for a year. "Why work @ UPS when I can work at the mall" is what the kids say.
*As far as seniority goes I have no argument between FT and PT. As a matter of fact as a senior part timer I have a right to put in for a preferable position . My understanting of the contract is that full time inside people do not enjoy that right.

Dynomite

Speaking for the core of long term Pt's I work with we want the following:
*Benefits,benefits,benefits. That is why most of us work the part time job and pay close to the same amount of union dues that full timers pay.The benefit package negogiated by the IBT is second to none.
*A bump in the pt UPS pension maybe $10.00 a month times years of service.Last contract we recieved a $5.00 increase but only on present and future service from 2008 on. Years before that stay at the old rate.
*Increase the starting wage $8.50 is very close to minumum in many places. Loading and unloading packages for 4 hours is hard work and with no benefits for a year. "Why work @ UPS when I can work at the mall" is what the kids say.
*As far as seniority goes I have no argument between FT and PT. As a matter of fact as a senior part timer I have a right to put in for a preferable position . My understanting of the contract is that full time inside people do not enjoy that right.

That's exactly right. They make it so you have to wait a year for benefits, and pay barely more then minimum wage.. That is the exact reason people quit so much. It's not worth going home everyday aching, and blowing your nose and dust comes out... (literally)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's exactly right. They make it so you have to wait a year for benefits, and pay barely more then minimum wage.. That is the exact reason people quit so much. It's not worth going home everyday aching, and blowing your nose and dust comes out... (literally)

I don't see the waiting period for benefits ending--quite frankly, it makes good business sense to delay the benefits as most of these kids don't use them anyway. I do not agree with the low starting wage and would like to see that bumped up to at least $10/hr in the next contract.

curiousbrain

I don't see the waiting period for benefits ending--quite frankly, it makes good business sense to delay the benefits as most of these kids don't use them anyway. I do not agree with the low starting wage and would like to see that bumped up to at least $10/hr in the next contract.

From a purely "company" standpoint, let's say the starting wage was raised to an even 10$; is the average part-time employee going to suddenly start working harder, faster, better, more efficiently, with more dedication to his/her job? Probably not.

So, just let the cycle of "in the door, out the door" continue because raising the wage could, theoretically, have no appreciable effect on the quality of labor performed by the part-time workforce.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

BB, very hard to argue with any of that. I would also add that raising the starting wage to $10 would most likely not raise the caliber of applicants.

However, these kids bust their butts for peanuts and I think it is high time that this be addressed.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
This contract anything that doesnt help the part timers should be voted down by any and all UPS Teamsters!!

Unfortunately, less then 30% of UPS members even vote on their own contract.

With a turnover rate, for part-timers, above 80% in the major hubs.... its no wonder why the situation is "the way it is".

Why do you think the language was negotiated, for a 1 year waiting period on insurance ?

I can appreciate your vocalization in support of the part-time ranks.... I started out the same way.... But,

Reality sets in....

Full-time UPS'ers are no different than *any* other Unionized company.... the majority are all about "me".

Good luck, trying to convince people otherwise.

Maybe if TDU was relevant, it would be different.

-Bug-

*As to your other comment.... You must have me confused with someone else* :peaceful:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sleeve, you are incorrect. The starting wage for PT's was actually LOWERED in 1982.
I said roughly 30 years....okay, fair enough?

Thank you for correcting my misinformation, all.

Also, we're talking 50 cents. All, for all intents and purposes, the starting wage has remained unchanged. :)

brown_trousers

From a purely "company" standpoint, let's say the starting wage was raised to an even 10$; is the average part-time employee going to suddenly start working harder, faster, better, more efficiently, with more dedication to his/her job? Probably not.

So, just let the cycle of "in the door, out the door" continue because raising the wage could, theoretically, have no appreciable effect on the quality of labor performed by the part-time workforce.

Good point! Even with low starting pay, UPS has absolutely no problem finding a bunch of kids willing to break their back for this company. The real negotiations should be for existing part-timers, low-starting pay should be offset by accelerated raises as you gain seniority.