what do part timers want in 2013

Justaname

Just assuming Mancini that you are a full timer. Why do Full-timers have such a problem with Part-timers asking for a high wage? I agree that $32 an hour is a bit much to ask for...but if you've been here for over 30 years you're making close to that. Let me ask you, if you were making your wage now as a part-timer would you not have gone full time? We still work as hard as you do, in fact with no stop in constant sorting, or loading except for ten minutes. Constant, constant, constant movement. Now you are jumping in and out of your truck and running off deliveries (which by the way you shouldn't be running and jumping) and the only diffference between our jobs are the amount of hours we are guaranteed. So what is up with Ft vs Pt. We would have no problem with Fters getting a ten dollar an hour raise. So what do Fters have against Pters anyway?[/QUOTE think of pt as ups college. You live rough then one day all the hard work pays off and you're making the big bucks.

Asskicker

And just one more thing about if you are a lifer part-timer you want to be. This is true in some cases but not all. Before the 22.3 jobs the only full time opportunity was driving. Ok do you fters think everyone in this company can or wants to be a driver? Or is physically capable of being a driver? Do they have small trucks for small employees? There are a lot of pters that can sort, or load, but are not even PHYSICALLY TALL ENOUGH to be able to drive a package car. So what other choice do these people have? Management? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just because people are short doesn't mean they are stupid. There aren't enough full time opportunities and you are right that the benifits are worth staying...but don't EVEN try to say the PART-TIMERS ARE LAZY!!!!!!! Or that they don't want to work full time. They fall into a trap of two part time jobs because they are not lazy and want to work more hours. They would much rather have them all be at one company. Now the company has split a lot of the 22.3 jobs and are making these guys come in on two different shifts for four hours. The Union should under no circumstances be allowing UPS to do this. What a joke!!

Moneythehardway

And as for the 'not many part time jobs offer bennies' part, honestly if you ask a lot of the younger ptimer's they'd rather have the $$ and say screw the insurance because half of them won't use it in the near future any way. True it is a plus, but it's not a plus nor a minus to those that don't even use it. But MONEY we all use, so up pt wages and give choses for health insurance.

Notcool

Been loading for 7 years barley make 200 a week I feel like for the work I do I should at least make 400 a week thats not alot of money

Ok this will be my 1st post...

I tell all of the PT and Ft a little about myself 15 years working transferred for one Hub to a smaller center over 11 years ago. I've see both side of everything there is at UPS

1. Starting wage raised to $10.00 with everyone else getting that 1.50 raise as of August 1st along with $1.25 raise every year ( I tell you why... If the FT get a 3% raise .90 cents then since the PT only work half the hours then we should get at least a 6% raise to off set INFLATION... WHICH I SAY SHOULD CLOSE THE GAP BETWEEN PT AND FT)

2. 4 HOUR GUARANTEE BECAUSE MOST CENTERS BARELY HAVE ENOUGH WORK SOME NIGHT FOR 3 HOURS OF WORK AND EVEN IF YOU WANT YOUR 3.5 THEY CANT GIVE IT TO YOU BECAUSE THEY HAVE SENT PEOPLE HOME AFTER AN HOUR AND A HALF THEN CODE IT HOURS ONLY, WE FOUGHT IT AND GOT NOTHING , SO IF YOU HAVE WORK OR NOT YOU GET PAID FOR 4 HOURS IF YOU ARE SCHEDULED TO WORK AND PUNCH IN THAT DAY. AND SENIORITY RULES WHEN SO IF YOU WORK IN AN AREA AND THEY HAve no one trained well it ups fault not ours PEOPLE LEAVE BEFORE THE 4 HOURS NO EXCEPTIONS.

3. Train everyone to do other jobs not letting unloaders and sorters go home before higher senorirty people every night happens alot in smaller centers... most of us have another job and are getting tired of being there 5 hours every night when most work 2.5 every night and complain when they are going to get a FT job. be in my shoes no full time jobs been in our center since last contract 2007 ok they hired one but 8 FT retired ?

I add more but have things to do today. later tonight

i agree with this guy ^^.

the gap between ft and pt is ridiculous, and we make a 10th of what a ft seniority driver does? and we do the same ammount of work for the hours we work? if it wasn't for pt workers, where would the company be? probably broke because the drivers and ft people would get paid overtime, and there would have to be more to offset the 14hr DOT on drivers.. so come on, how about a $5, even $10 raise for us? we'd still be making less, but would be more incentive for us to work, and stay working.

Drink Craft Beer

Ok this will be my 1st post...

I tell all of the PT and Ft a little about myself 15 years working transferred for one Hub to a smaller center over 11 years ago. I've see both side of everything there is at UPS

1. Starting wage raised to $10.00 with everyone else getting that 1.50 raise as of August 1st along with $1.25 raise every year ( I tell you why... If the FT get a 3% raise .90 cents then since the PT only work half the hours then we should get at least a 6% raise to off set INFLATION... WHICH I SAY SHOULD CLOSE THE GAP BETWEEN PT AND FT)

2. 4 HOUR GUARANTEE BECAUSE MOST CENTERS BARELY HAVE ENOUGH WORK SOME NIGHT FOR 3 HOURS OF WORK AND EVEN IF YOU WANT YOUR 3.5 THEY CANT GIVE IT TO YOU BECAUSE THEY HAVE SENT PEOPLE HOME AFTER AN HOUR AND A HALF THEN CODE IT HOURS ONLY, WE FOUGHT IT AND GOT NOTHING , SO IF YOU HAVE WORK OR NOT YOU GET PAID FOR 4 HOURS IF YOU ARE SCHEDULED TO WORK AND PUNCH IN THAT DAY. AND SENIORITY RULES WHEN SO IF YOU WORK IN AN AREA AND THEY HAve no one trained well it ups fault not ours PEOPLE LEAVE BEFORE THE 4 HOURS NO EXCEPTIONS.

3. Train everyone to do other jobs not letting unloaders and sorters go home before higher senorirty people every night happens alot in smaller centers... most of us have another job and are getting tired of being there 5 hours every night when most work 2.5 every night and complain when they are going to get a FT job. be in my shoes no full time jobs been in our center since last contract 2007 ok they hired one but 8 FT retired ?

I add more but have things to do today. later tonight
How are un-loaders and sorters leaving after 2.5hrs and there be still 2.5hrs of work left? What's left to do other than loaders loading out their package cars, D-Cap and Surepost? I'm assuming you're referring to the pre-load, correct? Our un-loaders are asked if they want to leave (after all trucks are unloaded) but most times they're sent up to help loaders load out.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i agree with this guy ^^.

the gap between ft and pt is ridiculous, and we make a 10th of what a ft seniority driver does? and we do the same ammount of work for the hours we work? if it wasn't for pt workers, where would the company be? probably broke because the drivers and ft people would get paid overtime, and there would have to be more to offset the 14hr DOT on drivers.. so come on, how about a $5, even $10 raise for us? we'd still be making less, but would be more incentive for us to work, and stay working.

You want a $5 or $10/hr raise?? Are you high?

Bump the starting wage to $10/hr---if that is not incentive enough for you to work they will find someone who can take your place.

rudy5150

i think you gotta be high to wake up at 2am everyday and work like a slave for 8.50 an hour for only 20 hrs a week if your lucky:laughing:. No normal person would do it

Drink Craft Beer

Bump the starting wage to $10/hr---if that is not incentive enough for you to work they will find someone who can take your place.

Until they tell you that you're expected to call in an hour before start time every morning to see if they need you. Then told to call back in 20mins. and you'll get your answer.

InsideUPS

...........Until they work next to us "Red Circled" part-time employees who make 3X as much.........and take 1/3 the BS... :happy-very: