What does ORION look like?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
200.gif

ArcherUTR

a lot of guys in my center check the Orion computers because we usually don't get our edd until right at or after our pcm. it's nice to at least see a ball park version of your day

I check the computer to see how many stops I have...better than having to talk to a supervisor. Also, I am able to point out where ORION is an hour and a half ahead of me and makes a 5 mile jump an hour and a half after my pick up run has already been completed and begins running my route backwards.

Last edited:

FatherBrown

I usually follow Orion fairly close and it works pretty well on most of the routes I cover but like was said above I switch back and forth between it and RDO just to check and see if it has split any stops into two different ones, which happens often.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Not sure what it looks like because I turn it off right after I log in.
They spent over $1B on a system you don't even use. I don't blame you.

How much more money are they going to keep flushing down the toilet on this system that the center manager's don't even want their drivers using?

They only push it because corporate wants it.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
We've had Orion since last summer and after 5 Orion rides and at least ten different attempts to find a good solution, it looks worse now then ever before. Not only will it have you deliver two neighboring houses at two entirely different points in your day. It will also break up the same stop into two different stops in the day, and I'm not referring to nda and ground but savers and ground. Funny thing is it will have me deliver the ground first and deliver the saver with my pickups. Yes if the chaos saves ten feet of driving in the day, well then that's all that matters to them. We are told to just run EDD and try to implement Orion principles. That seems to be the best approach to it as far as I can tell. Also one factor that is horse crap is that Orion compliance is 85% or better but mileage can't be more than 5 miles off. Well guys like myself are well over 150 miles a day so it doesn't take much to put me over my miles. The city drivers have it easy on the mile part. Anyhow this has been like being at therapy for me so thank you. Deep breath then exhale....
Face it , its a joke, its unsafe, and its causing chaos.

upsbeernut

Before I read on I just reply to you. It does not update, except for air.. When you get to 20 minutes before commit time, you bail and just do air. Then it is up to you how to put the puzzle back together, and make miles and % in trace. I absolutely hate it. I would rather get 10 lashes a day, than have to follow it. It is draining. The bright side is I have heard it works for like 2 people. Forget everything you ever knew that made sense. Drive by crap you want to get rid of to go do 2 envelopes at a resi. Good luck be positive, and laugh all the way to the bank. Now I will go look at the rest. Lol
Makes no sense with OCAS, Misloads, break offs for air savers, and running businesses after they close.

upsbeernut

My center has yet to adopt ORION and curiosity has gotten the best of me as to what exactly it looks like as far as the DIAD goes. Regardless of all the ORION threads I've read on here and management people I've asked, I still cannot visualize it.

As far as I can understand, is it essentially just an EDD that constantly updates the order of the stops? Are there additional interfaces it adds in the DIAD? Does it map your route like a GPS and tell you exactly where to turn for a stop? Anything you can tell me would be great.
t maps it out in straight lines, that's how it is measured and miles added up. You run your route differently everyday which makes you a swing driver.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I started having late air because of the stupid trace it had me driving to my first stop. I used to drive ten miles down the interstate with four traffic lights, ORION wants me to save three miles by driving surface roads and hitting twenty traffic lights. My supervisor finally told me to run my air like I used to do and then follow ORION as much as possible. When I run it my way, I usually beat it by two or three miles.

Last edited:

upsbeernut

I started having late air because of the stupid trace it had me driving to my first stop. I used to drive ten miles down the interstate with four traffic lights, ORION wants me to save three miles by driving surface roads and hitting twenty traffic lights. My supervisor finally told me to run my air like I used to do and then follow ORION as much as possible. When I run it my way, I usually beat it by two or three miles.
there is always gonna be exceptions to the rule of Orion. Why on earth did you buy such bad software? I run mine the easy way while adopting Orion principles. I have finally grasped how to do it without they're way of running the route.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I got you beat. Save 2.5 miles, 22 lights.

wayfair

swollen member
I check the computer to see how many stops I have...better than having to talk to a supervisor. Also, I am able to point out where ORION is an hour and a half ahead of me and makes a 5 mile jump an hour and a half after my pick up run has already been completed and begins running my route backwards.

I see a lot of guys staring at the computers when I get in. I believe they shouldn't be on until start time and have mentioned it to stewart.

ArcherUTR

I see a lot of guys staring at the computers when I get in. I believe they shouldn't be on until start time and have mentioned it to stewart.

That's like saying guys shouldn't be allowed to open their lockers or put their coolers or supplies on their package car. It can be categorized as job preparation.

bobbybrown

If ourion would just map out the course would be fine however the algorithms that predict your speed and behavior are far from perfect