What is the biggest and best lie Management has told you?

vlad

I was involved in an accident to which I was not even driving that day, I was a runner for another driver, while somebody ran my route, the next day they got into an accident, I was blamed for the accident, I lost a full weeks worth of wages for not reporting it. They called it dishonesty, and I never got that pay for it. Of course they were proved wrong, and they called it "suspension". They're lying dishonest bastards in Idaho.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
This past peak on peak day, after 8 hours of preloading I go out to help a driver who had 240 stops. Mgmt said not to go over 12 on this day. Go and meet driver.

"here ya go, it's 60 stops but it is really tight and easy, they will come off like nothing, deliver themselves!"

Sign ahead: detour no thru traffic use blahblah st.

"*****!!"

13.5 hour day

beentheredonethat

Service level is irrelevant to my point. Basic packages are delivered on the first attempt because that's what the shipper wants done.

What I'm talking about is the bold-faced lie that the company doesn't turn a profit if more than one attempt is made on a non-basic package. If UPS did not make a profit on a package attempted 2+ times, then it would make no fiscal sense to make more than one attempt. This company didn't get to where it's at by giving money away.

There are many areas where UPS does not make a profit. We have some areas where drivers have to take a ferry trip to an island to deliver a handful of packages. We have centers where most drivers deliver only 100 packages in a day and drive over 300 miles because the area is so remote. Those areas have virtually no pickups as well. Those areas cost UPS money. However, it is the price you pay to indicate you have complete US geographic coverage.
It's similar in theory to the loss leaders at a supermarket, when an item is on sale it often loses money for the grocer. However, they make it up by getting you in the store and selling you other items that they make money on.

Think of it, UPS has a profit margin of 12%, so if a customer ships a $10 pkg to a persons home, UPS makes roughly $1.20 on that package. How much does it cost UPS to have a driver DR a package to a house?

If you assume a SPORH of 20, and an hourly rate of $40 (note: not exact numbers, but if you include fuel costs, mileage on vehicle, drivers hourly rate, costs of HW&P insurance etc). Then the cost to UPS is $2 for that stop. Even if you think the number is wrong, and we increase the assumed SPORH to 25 and a pay rate of $30.5 Then that cost to UPS is $1.20. If we make $1.20 on the package (that's including the first stop cost). On the second attempt we are at breakeven, and at the third attempt we lost money on that one pkg.

Note: I know the SPORH and Rate aren't exact. But under the second scenario, I think they are extremely conservative (esp when you include OT and\or HW&P costs). I just used those to have a reasonably accurate number and make the math easy.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
There are many areas where UPS does not make a profit. We have some areas where drivers have to take a ferry trip to an island to deliver a handful of packages. We have centers where most drivers deliver only 100 packages in a day and drive over 300 miles because the area is so remote. Those areas have virtually no pickups as well. Those areas cost UPS money. However, it is the price you pay to indicate you have complete US geographic coverage.
It's similar in theory to the loss leaders at a supermarket, when an item is on sale it often loses money for the grocer. However, they make it up by getting you in the store and selling you other items that they make money on.

Think of it, UPS has a profit margin of 12%, so if a customer ships a $10 pkg to a persons home, UPS makes roughly $1.20 on that package. How much does it cost UPS to have a driver DR a package to a house?

If you assume a SPORH of 20, and an hourly rate of $40 (note: not exact numbers, but if you include fuel costs, mileage on vehicle, drivers hourly rate, costs of HW&P insurance etc). Then the cost to UPS is $2 for that stop. Even if you think the number is wrong, and we increase the assumed SPORH to 25 and a pay rate of $30.5 Then that cost to UPS is $1.20. If we make $1.20 on the package (that's including the first stop cost). On the second attempt we are at breakeven, and at the third attempt we lost money on that one pkg.

Note: I know the SPORH and Rate aren't exact. But under the second scenario, I think they are extremely conservative (esp when you include OT and\or HW&P costs). I just used those to have a reasonably accurate number and make the math easy.
I have been told ups makes 1 cent on ground packages and that was 20 years ago.....whatever

beentheredonethat

I have been told ups makes 1 cent on ground packages and that was 20 years ago.....whatever

I just used the profit margin that UPS reports to Wall St. I'm sure there are some instances we lose money, others we make much more then 12%. But it definitely costs us a lot to make additional attempts.

Ghost in the Darkness

Believe what you will but whatever profit may have been built in to that package is all but lost on the 3rd delivery attempt. This is part of the reason for My Choice.

I don't believe that for a second. Proof is UPS would have stopped doing those Dish Network call tags a long time ago if they just lost money. Can't count how many times I get to NI3, we essentially are only there to embarass people into paying their satellite tv bill. I'm sure UPS is adequately compensated.

In response to the thread title, I just assume everything management says is a lie.