What would a typical day/work-week look like for combo driver (22.4)?

Hroller

I'm trying to get a feel for how a combo driver's day will go?
While I'm sure it will vary from center to center and weekdays vs weekends.....
What we do know:

-CD is guaranteed 5 consecutive days.
-CD is guaranteed 8 hours per day....with 90 minute unpaid break in the middle.

Could a combo driver come in say 7:30am to deliver EAM, then deliver NDA, then shuttle some incomps out to RPCD. (This could help cut the payroll by eliminating the need for air drivers.) Then take a 90 minute unpaid lunch 'til around 1pm.
Then shuttle some misloads. Then help with heavy bulk pick ups. Get back to the center around 6pm.

On Saturday...or even Sunday, the CD could go out with say 225-250 residential deliveries. This could than eliminate the need for certain routes on Mondays, so RPCD could have an extra long weekend with no pay.

Tony Q

They are going to be drivers for the most part. I think how they will be used will depend on the needs of the building and the amount of shifts worked in a building. I could see them driving most of the time.

opie

They really aren't true combos. Inside work is not required. So they can drive all day. Not sure if they can bump bid air drivers or 22.3s.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
The work week for the 22.4 guys is going to be 0 hours because this contract is crap. And it will be voted down by the membership.
I don’t think hybrids are going to go away. I would say we might even need them but the language is way off. They have no protection from working too much And they get paid 6bucks less then what is regular drivers would make for doing the same job. It’s not the worst idea the union ever had but it really need a very long and deep look into it.

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
Naw they're not going to have it that easy. UPS isn't trying to create 22.4 to just deliver some air and shuttle a few stops here or there like an air driver. It's most likely going to be preload+delivering resi/bulk after or a full route.

I don’t think hybrids are going to go away. I would say we might even need them but the language is way off. They have no protection from working too much And they get paid 6bucks less then what is regular drivers would make for doing the same job. It’s not the worst idea the union ever had but it really need a very long and deep look into it.
Bargaining unit work done on Saturday’s and Sundays should be premium pay. Not some $6/hr cheaper no 40hr guarantee no 9 5 protection hybrid guy that’s gonna run his balls off all day.
VOTE NO people

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I'm just curious if these combo drivers (if the contract passes) will replace seasonal drivers and those other types of help like golf cart, bike,and PVD.

The ones who make less, have no benefits, and are afforded no protection from excessive work. Having 22.4 drivers just does not seem very cost effective.

UPSTeamster Pragmatist

working preload and/or running EAM and/or running off bulk stops and/or nda and/or misloads and/or blown out p/u and/or running late air to the airport and/or bailing out over-dispatched drivers and/or helping breakdown situations etc. you will work some days 14 hours including your 90 min lunch which management will sometimes try to get you to split up through the day. Other days it will be less but always at least 8 hours. I used to be this driver when I was in progression many moons ago (minus 90 min lunch). I liked it because it was an easy day and I was very popular with the other drivers. For this reason I think the 22.4 will be a positive developement for the p/t guys who don't want to deal with being a RPCD. I'm even gonna be so bold as to suggest some RPCD will bump down to 22.4 in the same way they did with the 22.3 jobs that were supposed to go to the p/t. Flame away.

Blackstream

They are going to be drivers for the most part. I think how they will be used will depend on the needs of the building and the amount of shifts worked in a building. I could see them driving most of the time.
Is that the plan? I was figuring that the point of 22.4s would be to have them drive when flow was up and do inside work when it was down (probably at the same time that they cut all the seasonal hires), effectively cutting routes while having access to more drivers on demand.

EDIT:
Well that and working weekends obviously

no_map_needed

On Saturday and Sunday these guys will probably be loading and delivering their own trucks. During the week they will be slaved where needed with no protection.

no_map_needed

working preload and/or running EAM and/or running off bulk stops and/or nda and/or misloads and/or blown out p/u and/or running late air to the airport and/or bailing out over-dispatched drivers and/or helping breakdown situations etc. you will work some days 14 hours including your 90 min lunch which management will sometimes try to get you to split up through the day. Other days it will be less but always at least 8 hours. I used to be this driver when I was in progression many moons ago (minus 90 min lunch). I liked it because it was an easy day and I was very popular with the other drivers. For this reason I think the 22.4 will be a positive developement for the p/t guys who don't want to deal with being a RPCD. I'm even gonna be so bold as to suggest some RPCD will bump down to 22.4 in the same way they did with the 22.3 jobs that were supposed to go to the p/t. Flame away.

What happens when its heavy and there's no package cars available. UPS isn't going to supply each hub with 10+ new package cars so 22.4 can coast all day. They will be planned into what we have right now.

I'm just curious if these combo drivers (if the contract passes) will replace seasonal drivers and those other types of help like golf cart, bike,and PVD.

The ones who make less, have no benefits, and are afforded no protection from excessive work. Having 22.4 drivers just does not seem very cost effective.
No more TCD or casual drivers if the hybrid passes

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Naw they're not going to have it that easy. UPS isn't trying to create 22.4 to just deliver some air and shuttle a few stops here or there like an air driver. It's most likely going to be preload+delivering resi/bulk after or a full route.
It’s not ups’ idea for 22.4 it was our unions idea...

Mr. Marshall

I work in a building with 160 to 180 routes and I'm friendly with someone in management pretty high up and he told me the plan is to immediately hire six 22.4's when the contract passes so at least in our building they are not going to be taking all the work away as there just isn't enough of them.

ManInBrown

I'm trying to get a feel for how a combo driver's day will go?
While I'm sure it will vary from center to center and weekdays vs weekends.....
What we do know:

-CD is guaranteed 5 consecutive days.
-CD is guaranteed 8 hours per day....with 90 minute unpaid break in the middle.

Could a combo driver come in say 7:30am to deliver EAM, then deliver NDA, then shuttle some incomps out to RPCD. (This could help cut the payroll by eliminating the need for air drivers.) Then take a 90 minute unpaid lunch 'til around 1pm.
Then shuttle some misloads. Then help with heavy bulk pick ups. Get back to the center around 6pm.

On Saturday...or even Sunday, the CD could go out with say 225-250 residential deliveries. This could than eliminate the need for certain routes on Mondays, so RPCD could have an extra long weekend with no pay.
You lost me at “get back to the center at 6pm”

They are going to bury 22.4 drivers. Lower wage and no 9.5 protection. I really feel for those drivers, if this proposal passes. Vote no

ManInBrown

What happens when its heavy and there's no package cars available. UPS isn't going to supply each hub with 10+ new package cars so 22.4 can coast all day. They will be planned into what we have right now.
I don’t know where you are but before I left for feeders, the building I worked out of in package had so many new trucks outside waiting to be put into service, that I couldn’t even begin to count them.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

A high seniority RPCD could think about downsizing in hours and hourly rate to save their bodies till retirement. Most of the older members are think longevity and live accordingly to a straight 40 hour schedule, they value time with family and have a life outside of working 10 to 12 hours a day. The one who did go into 22.3's also saw that it is a marathon and not a 100 yard dash to reach the years required for a good retirement. That language about the possible 1 to 1 1/2 gap, the flexible schedule (weekends and start times) and the physical labor of moving packages might be a hinderance,

If a top rated RPCD decides to jump to the 22.4 position what exactly will their hourly rate be?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I don’t know where you are but before I left for feeders, the building I worked out of in package had so many new trucks outside waiting to be put into service, that I couldn’t even begin to count them.
We don’t have enough right now in my building. A lot get loaned out to Shore towns for summer peak.