What would you do

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Year 5 would be 130-150k/yr. not to mention getting off work at 2pm

One of my best friend's is in the Atlanta area. A friend of his from Georgia moved somewhere in California as a journeyman lineman, and he swears he's making over $200k a year.

There's probably a good chance you'll take a pay cut when you move but I'm sure the pay would still be comprable or higher than UPS.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My Nephew completed all his apprenticeships as an lineman and now makes TONS of money working on the big power lines out in Calif and Arizona. . The only drawback I see is its not really a career for a married man with small kids for the first years. He's been at it now for about 10 years and he still travels to jobs all over the country. (He is kind of money hungry though so that may have something to do with it). I told my wife the other day that if he don't settle down and sign on with a steady job like working for a local power company that I see his marriage failing because she is left home twiddling her thumbs with a 3 year old and only sees him a couple tomes a month - if that.
My best friend is headed to lineman school in a couple months. He keeps going on and on about how much journeymen make but his marriage is done if he chooses that route. They already have serious trust issues and him being on the road all of the time it won’t last.

Future

Victory Ride
My best friend is headed to lineman school in a couple months. He keeps going on and on about how much journeymen make but his marriage is done if he chooses that route. They already have serious trust issues and him being on the road all of the time it won’t last.
105B2204-0C48-47C3-9396-3864CC71777C.gif

Brownslave688

One of my best friend's is in the Atlanta area. A friend of his from Georgia moved somewhere in California as a journeyman lineman, and he swears he's making over $200k a year.

There's probably a good chance you'll take a pay cut when you move but I'm sure the pay would still be comprable or higher than UPS.
My cousin is a lineman locally but is getting ready to go journeyman. Has an old coworker in California that was at 275k in September. They also get 25% of everything they make put into their retirement. That’s why many do journeyman they can be done in 20 years.

Brownslave688

My hands get dirty but my trade is far more brains than brawn. Youth disinterest is more than fine by me though. More money and leverage for me in an industry that needs done regardless.
Sure some trades are physical no matter what but most are getting physically easier because of technology.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
My cousin is a lineman locally but is getting ready to go journeyman. Has an old coworker in California that was at 275k in September. They also get 25% of everything they make put into their retirement. That’s why many do journeyman they can be done in 20 years.
That would be a badass job. I just :censored2:ing hate travel.

rod

Retired 22 years
Back in your day that would've been a great option. I couldn't recommend that now. Getting in is all who you know and blow plus the companies keep trying to make the push to one-man crews, essentially eliminating conductor positions and to top it off I see train engineers as a job that's far from safe from future automation.
Upon further review I have decided that being a train engineer now isn't a good choice. I'll change my mind to becoming manager of a high class strip joint.

barnyard

KTM rider
Upon further review I have decided that being a train engineer now isn't a good choice. I'll change my mind to becoming manager of a high class strip joint.

I applied at Amtrak a few years ago and still get job opening updates. I am up to 6 weeks of vacation now and giving that up for a slightly easier job seems iffy. There is also a 5 year progression, so there is that too.

oldngray

nowhere special
Railroads used to be great jobs but that was a long time ago. Most of them now just hope they can keep their jobs long enough to retire.

ManInBrown

If I had it to do all over again I would have become a train engineer. Trains have always fascinated me. (Besides that its GREAT pay and benefits).
Buddy of mine quit his job years ago to become a train engineer. First week on his own guy committed suicide on the tracks. He saw the guy jump out and lay down. He was so traumatized he had to quit. Couldn’t do it anymore. Life has been all downhill ever since. Left a good job. Now has no job.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
You guys are lucky you heard back so quickly. I applied before October and I still don't have a test date yet.
For Local 6?

As far as I know they were only taking apps every Tuesday in November. I called out to drop my app off and I got my test date with a study guide right then and there.

If you already turned in an application to them I highly suggest calling the hall or NJATC to see what the status is. Not sure if they’re still doing testing for this round. I was actually surprised to hear that SF Rush got his interview scheduled so early.