What would you do

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Also I would do it just to get out of California. Thankfully I began my career in a place with some sanity left.

On second thought if you’re a liberal stay where you are and pay those awesome taxes and out of control housing prices you vote for.
It's amazing how many people live in a state that no one can afford to live in.

Seymour Packages

Go get a trade. You may take a pay cut at the beginning, but having a trade gives you freedom. Like stated before, you don't want to paint yourself into a corner by having nothing to fall back on if you ever leave UPS. "Package delivery" doesn't command much of salary anywhere outside of UPS. Go for it!

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
COVID threw a wrench in it, but I’m still pursuing an IBEW apprenticeship. Should find out where I stand by this summer. If I get the call, I’m outta here.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
COVID threw a wrench in it, but I’m still pursuing an IBEW apprenticeship. Should find out where I stand by this summer. If I get the call, I’m outta here.
I left after 17 years. Got my contractors license and Started an excavating company. I just put a guy on who works a few days a week for me operating equipment while I go bid jobs. I absolutely love it. Not to mention the money. I’m currently booked out for two months and counting.

I kick myself for not leaving sooner

542thruNthru

I left after 17 years. Got my contractors license and Started an excavating company. I just put a guy on who works a few days a week for me operating equipment while I go bid jobs. I absolutely love it. Not to mention the money. I’m currently booked out for two months and counting.

Glad to hear it's all working out for you brother!

542thruNthru

Oh also when you get big enough I'll be there to help organize your employees. ;)

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Oh also when you get big enough I'll be there to help organize your employees. ;)
I’m going to try hard to make sure they don’t feel the need to. Also I plan to keep it a small local company. 2/3 employees.
Thanks dude. I’m very lucky that’s it’s been working out so far.

baklava

Awesome! I have 20 years in. Started UPS at 17 years old. It’s a fine career, but I’m ready for something new.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Awesome! I have 20 years in. Started UPS at 17 years old. It’s a fine career, but I’m ready for something new.
Yep. I started at 20. Got burnt out working 12 to 14 hours everyday and not seeing my kids. I hated every second of working there.

I hated it so much that a few months after I quit, my hair started growing back in my cul-de-sacs. I have a full head of hair again.

baklava

Yep. I started at 20. Got burnt out working 12 to 14 hours everyday and not seeing my kids. I hated every second of working there.

I hated it so much that a few months after I quit, my hair started growing back in my cul-de-sacs. I have a full head of hair again.
A fellow follicularly-challenged gentleman I can get on board with this

baklava

To revive this old thread (again)

Just got results from my interview. Don’t want to give out my exact score but it’s upper 90s. I’ll probably be getting a call sometime in the next year.

I’ve made up my mind that I’ll make the jump to become a union electrician, but it’s still scary, especially with a family.

Any words of encouragement/discouragement from anyone?