What would you do

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Buddy of mine quit his job years ago to become a train engineer. First week on his own guy committed suicide on the tracks. He saw the guy jump out and lay down. He was so traumatized he had to quit. Couldn’t do it anymore. Life has been all downhill ever since. Left a good job. Now has no job.
"Had to quit" lol.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Handed in an application for the NJATC apprenticeship. Got called in to take the altitude test. I guess I passed because they called me again to do the final step which is a formal interview.

it’s a 5 year program and at the end you become a Journeyman as an inside wireman that’s pays $70.00/hr. Just wondering if I should throw away 7 years of seniority here and start all over in a different field. What would you do?
What did you do? I would go for it. 7 years not so bad to start over. and this gig sounds more interesting.

Nah
For Local 6?

As far as I know they were only taking apps every Tuesday in November. I called out to drop my app off and I got my test date with a study guide right then and there.

If you already turned in an application to them I highly suggest calling the hall or NJATC to see what the status is. Not sure if they’re still doing testing for this round. I was actually surprised to hear that SF Rush got his interview scheduled so early.

I meant for my region. The JATC has a list of cities where they do interviews, and mine is the only one that has been TBD the whole time. Some of the others have had as many as two interviews a month.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
I meant for my region. The JATC has a list of cities where they do interviews, and mine is the only one that has been TBD the whole time. Some of the others have had as many as two interviews a month.
Ah ok. Construction is booming in SF. All the trades are hiring.

Nah
For Local 6?

As far as I know they were only taking apps every Tuesday in November. I called out to drop my app off and I got my test date with a study guide right then and there.

If you already turned in an application to them I highly suggest calling the hall or NJATC to see what the status is. Not sure if they’re still doing testing for this round. I was actually surprised to hear that SF Rush got his interview scheduled so early.

I will be calling this week though. I wanted to wait until the holiday chaos was over.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Buddy of mine quit his job years ago to become a train engineer. First week on his own guy committed suicide on the tracks. He saw the guy jump out and lay down. He was so traumatized he had to quit. Couldn’t do it anymore. Life has been all downhill ever since. Left a good job. Now has no job.
Bad career track ?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Talk about derailing...

Upsbc251

Ah ok. Construction is booming in SF. All the trades are hiring.
Yea I was an electrical apprentice in a southeast local a few yrs ago. Really good field to get into buzzing your right construction is booming in California, specifically San Fran. Journeyman out there making 5 or 6 grand a week on a normal week.

El Correcto

god is dead
Not to be rude, but do any of y’all got solid proof of these awesome tradesmen jobs. Everything I can find points to struggles to find work and about $35 an hour.

El Correcto

god is dead
Also I would do it just to get out of California. Thankfully I began my career in a place with some sanity left.

On second thought if you’re a liberal stay where you are and pay those awesome taxes and out of control housing prices you vote for.

baklava

Not to be rude, but do any of y’all got solid proof of these awesome tradesmen jobs. Everything I can find points to struggles to find work and about $35 an hour.
The trades pay in California. $35 is an apprenticeship wage. Here’s the old contract for IBEW Local 6 San Francisco

Attachments

• Electrical Workers Local 6 Inside Agreement 2014-2018_0.pdf
    701.2 KB · Views: 181

El Correcto

god is dead
The trades pay in California. $35 is an apprenticeship wage. Here’s the old contract for IBEW Local 6 San Francisco
Sounds like college, but better. Instead of sitting in a classroom you’re actually working making money and gaining experience in your field.
The ratio to journeyman:apprentice allowed on job site isn’t bad either.
I just wonder how that actually works in practice and how long it will take to become a journeyman.

El Correcto

god is dead
47A6C29C-44C0-4065-828D-FFEC581E4B23.jpeg

baklava

Card= journeymens card. You can make 70 live anywhere in California pretend it's worth it because of the weather and be broke or leave and find actual better places
You only make $70/hr in California. Nowhere else pays that much (SEA or NYC probably the closest) And the work is here steady.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Seems like you need to be careful where you move to. Doesn’t seem to be national agreement on wages.
Where I live though something like $35 an hour would probably take you further than twice that in S.friend.