When the Light Bulb Finally Comes On

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I am very good friends with someone who is a 27-year Express non-courier employee that finally saw the light on Friday. Management lit her up for something totally out of her control and that was the straw that broke the camel's back. She is actively going to begin a job search this week, and because she has incredible computer skills, she will soon be gone. This is a person that plugs all the holes in the management dike, because she does their jobs for them operationally.

Even though she is in her late 40's, management would never want her to leave, because her loop will totally collapse and fail without her leadership and operational decision-making capabilities. When the managers are hiding in their offices or not taking phone calls, she takes over and gets the job done.

Until she leaves, she will WAD, and when she does leave, the dike has another hundred holes in it.

FedEx is a failing organization. Most of us can see it, and those that can't are beginning to have much clearer vision.

TUT

I am very good friends with someone who is a 27-year Express non-courier employee that finally saw the light on Friday. Management lit her up for something totally out of her control and that was the straw that broke the camel's back. She is actively going to begin a job search this week, and because she has incredible computer skills, she will soon be gone. This is a person that plugs all the holes in the management dike, because she does their jobs for them operationally.

Even though she is in her late 40's, management would never want her to leave, because her loop will totally collapse and fail without her leadership and operational decision-making capabilities. When the managers are hiding in their offices or not taking phone calls, she takes over and gets the job done.

Until she leaves, she will WAD, and when she does leave, the dike has another hundred holes in it.

FedEx is a failing organization. Most of us can see it, and those that can't are beginning to have much clearer vision.

Happens everywhere. Not saying she isn't right. But happens everywhere. They'll plug the hole, Fedex continues on. This has happened hundreds of times already at Fedex and UPS for that matter.

That said, she probably had a good wage and job at Fedex, but she'll land on her feet very well most likely. Skilled woman programmer=Lots of opportunities. I also see "it's not too late for her". ;)

Also recall reading post here yesterday of an Express Driver turning down a management job. Typical, just don't complain 15 years from now that you hadn't moved forward in one's job. Sure one may feel more comfortable in their job now, perhaps less stress delivering, but if you don't like the pay and feel management makes more... that is how the world turns. You want other managers to feel for you, but don't want to take the steps forward yourself. (Generalization)

FedExRookie

Happens everywhere. Not saying she isn't right. But happens everywhere. They'll plug the hole, Fedex continues on. This has happened hundreds of times already at Fedex and UPS for that matter.

That said, she probably had a good wage and job at Fedex, but she'll land on her feet very well most likely. Skilled woman programmer=Lots of opportunities. I also see "it's not too late for her". ;)

I might be reaching, but I am assuming that

1. You are MrFedEx
2. You are the 'lady' in question
3. You know who MFE is

Since he never said she was a programmer, but you mentioned she was...

Just some thinking on my part on this lazy and wonderful Sunday.

TUT

I simply wrote programmer as he wrote "incredible computer skills", yes I did make a little leap there. But it's sort of cool being guessed at as a mystery person.

1. No.
2. No.
3. Know the type! lol

I'm an anonymous shipper (to you) and investor.

HomeDelivery

FedExRookie, TUT's just an outsider looking in... so the first 2 of your ASSumptions are incorrect (edit: beat me to it)

sounds like fun at your hub... why don't they just raise her pay to keep her? penny pinching can be done elsewhere besides losing pivotal workers who are keeping the boat afloat

if your center manager is smart enough, he can vouch for her as a valuable cog in that hub & can get her better pay, but alas... your sinking hub seems to be run by idiots

i'm amazed that you can stand working there all those years. couldn't you transfer to a better hub or are they also run like yours?

DontThrowPackages

Dan59 will be happen to hear the company is losing another employee. He's the champion for employees leaving if something makes them unhappy. Good for Dan59, he wins again.

White Line

FedExRookie, TUT's just an outsider looking in... so the first 2 of your ASSumptions are incorrect (edit: beat me to it)

sounds like fun at your hub... why don't they just raise her pay to keep her? penny pinching can be done elsewhere besides losing pivotal workers who are keeping the boat afloat

if your center manager is smart enough, he can vouch for her as a valuable cog in that hub & can get her better pay, but alas... your sinking hub seems to be run by idiots

i'm amazed that you can stand working there all those years. couldn't you transfer to a better hub or are they also run like yours?
Pinch pennies! Oh common HD we really need those TV monitors that no one pays any attention to not good managers or office peeps.

!Retired!

why don't they just raise her pay to keep her?
Because they can't 'just give her a raise'.

If I decided to leave, a raise wouldn't keep me there. What I do means more than how much I make. What good is it to go to a job you hate? You can always change your way of living depending on your salary.

White Line

Well hopefully when she moves on she will find something better that makes her happier, I agree with TUT though, having seen this same scenario not only at FedEx but other companies, " ah hey did you hear that such and such is leaving" "oh yeah I did hear that, we are really going to be screwed with out them here" " oh yeah this place is gonna go to hell without them" " yeah you don't say" and then ten years later that same company is still alive a kicking with a different such and such in that position, life goes on in the corporate world.

P

prodriver

A lot of couriers think nobody else can run their route but they are all mistaken, one person don't stop the machine there may be a hiccup here and there but everything rolls on with or without us.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I might be reaching, but I am assuming that

1. You are MrFedEx
2. You are the 'lady' in question
3. You know who MFE is

Since he never said she was a programmer, but you mentioned she was...

Just some thinking on my part on this lazy and wonderful Sunday.

Wrong on all counts. Those of us who work here know exactly what she does.

DontThrowPackages

I'm not going to reveal her job, but for those of us who work here, it isn't hard to figure out what she does. She is a de facto manager, and her skill set extends far beyond the keyboard.
We had one of those my first 3 years here. This person basically did everything for "This manager". If this person ever left, "This manager" would be exposed for his/her incompetency. Was no surprise when they Both left together.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We had one of those my first 3 years here. This person basically did everything for "This manager". If this person ever left, "This manager" would be exposed for his/her incompetency. Was no surprise when they Both left together.

The lady I'm speaking about basically covers for 3 incompetent managers, and several of her equally incompetent co-workers in the same job classification. Now, the managers will have to actually do their jobs, which should be interesting. I'm expecting all 3 to either get canned or downgrade. She has totally carried their load.

P

prodriver

The lady I'm speaking about basically covers for 3 incompetent managers, and several of her equally incompetent co-workers in the same job classification. Now, the managers will have to actually do their jobs, which should be interesting. I'm expecting all 3 to either get canned or downgrade. She has totally carried their load.

With 27 years in that would equate to a lot of vacation time, just curious how do y'all survive the weeks she is gone?