Which BC Member Has Been Fired The Most?

Limper

Out For Delivery
39277077.jpg

Yoda, why didn't you tell me hall was my father?

bbsam

Staff member
His firing, which was his "wake up call", may have been the best thing that ever happened to him.
It was definitely a wake up call. One of many. But I never held any animosity toward UPS or anybody I worked with there. They really were and are standup people. Drinking and drugs just seemed more important back then.

But there was alot of self hatred at the time. I really thought my career and life were over. Suicide really looked good. Imagine that. 26 years old and convinced that getting fired was a death sentence. That's some messed up thinking.

Best thing that ever happened to me? I don't know. But I certainly am not disappointed in my life today. It's a good life, a full life and a life never devoid of wonder.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
It was definitely a wake up call. One of many. But I never held any animosity toward UPS or anybody I worked with there. They really were and are standup people. Drinking and drugs just seemed more important back then.

But there was alot of self hatred at the time. I really thought my career and life were over. Suicide really looked good. Imagine that. 26 years old and convinced that getting fired was a death sentence. That's some messed up thinking.

Best thing that ever happened to me? I don't know. But I certainly am not disappointed in my life today. It's a good life, a full life and a life never devoid of wonder.

Very classy attitude.

Nimnim

The Nim
8.5 years, district wanted me fired, local management said I was getting a warning letter, and nothing happened. I almost don't feel like a real union member with nothing more than a couple documentations on my employee record.

CharleyHustle

I've never been good at driving the truck. In my early days I stockpiled UPS wallets (which for the new guys, you got a wallet for one year of safe driving). I always fessed up however and never got more than a warning letter, but things were a little more lax then. I had some fender benders that for sure I would get fired for now. Anyway that has my terminations at zero,but because of my past record I've to go 40 years accident free to make the "Circle of Honor".

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Fired once. 3 days off. Weather was beautiful. 4 warning letters. It's Funny since telematics I am the best in the center. Everyday. I was just doing it as they wanted it done. It was management making bogus numbers. Like I always tell them "we are set up to fail each day"

stink219

I'll go for Stink for active employees.

​Maybe Xerox for non-active but alive.

Maybe Ron Carey for those that are dead ... he got his revenge though.
Well, if you are talking walked off the property, it's 4 times. "Notice of termination" has been has been additional 4. Most of them were for invoking wiengarten rights that management didn't know the full rules and reacted too swiftly or the good ol' target on my back. 2 were hostile work environment, one against management 2 years ago and the other in 97 returning from the picket line after the strike. It's been better the last few years though.

over9five

Staff member
In another thread, a member was bragging about someone who has been fired "too many times to count", and seemed to envy and look up to that person.
It's UPS, I can honestly understand being fired once maybe even twice. But more than that, there is a problem. Time to rethink your work ethic, maybe.

And even if the company does have it in for you, why come back? Personally, I wouldn't want to work for someone who fired me. Call it pride, self respect, whatever, you fire me - I'm gone.

stink219

Mine were because I was a steward. If I took it personally, they win. Most of my terminations were from a specific DM and center manager team that targeted stewards and both have since been terminated from UPS about 5 years ago. It's now a common practice for management to use "Notice of Termination" as a scare tactic, but is always reduced to a warning letter.

Can't count how many warning letters, notice off suspensions and notice of discharges. My center had a vindictive manager for four years. He was then busted down to a pt sup. I was also walked off twice. First, one day no pay. Second, two days no pay. Both where for tattoos.

ogrelord

Ground Down
And even if the company does have it in for you, why come back? Personally, I wouldn't want to work for someone who fired me. Call it pride, self respect, whatever, you fire me - I'm gone.

A different way to look at it, after 10 years of having a couple of fights with your wife/husband, do you just walk away? It's had a lot to do with what UPS offered my family. I knew I wasn't going to be able to find the same kind of health care anywhere else.

Time after time I've seen favoritism toward people, and they still quit, but the ones that they treat like crap stay, cause they need the health care. I would love for it to be where, I show up do my small sort sorting and not have to think about anything else

Over9five sounds like you have a properly run center, consider yourself lucky

Last edited:

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
In another thread, a member was bragging about someone who has been fired "too many times to count", and seemed to envy and look up to that person.
It's UPS, I can honestly understand being fired once maybe even twice. But more than that, there is a problem. Time to rethink your work ethic, maybe.

Stink has it right -- if you stand up for the contract (either via grievance or as a steward), you'll quickly become a target. I've always put forth my most valiant effort for the job, kept to myself and did my best as a steward to fairly represent my membership. Just as an example... management was preventing several Preloaders from moving to the sort aisle, even though it's their contractual right. We filed, got the remedy requested, and several days later I received a warning letter for "stealing time." We had hired a new PE guy, and when he was in my work area fixing something I traded names with him, welcomed him to the building and shook his hand (a 10-second exchange at the most). I was told 'we don't pay you to converse with the PE guy.' Meanwhile, you have guys stopping the belt to argue about college football with each other :-/.