Who’s Switching Routes? (On Topic)

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We bid this month too, every two years. I’m second on the seniority list so I can get anything I want. I’ve been on the same residential route since ‘96, so I don’t see any sense in changing at the end of my career.

Overpaid Union Thug

I could honestly care less what I run every day. If it’s a heavy route they will lower my dispatch or pay me handsomely for running it.

anyone thinking they’ll hop on my route and have the same dispatch is in for a rude awakening. My current route can get ugly if you let them do it to you.
Same here. My route averages 40-60 stops less per week than the running and gunning bonus baby that I bumped off of it a few years ago. When I’m scheduled off the stop count sky rockets.

When I come back some of the TCDs and unassigned drivers that covered it always ask me how I get the stops so much lower. They just don’t get it. When are they going to realize that “killin it” for “bonus” (that’s actually a pay cut here) isn’t going to help in that endeavor?

The ones that really confuse me are the TCDS. They don’t get “bonus” at all. If the report says -133 then they essentially gave up an hour and twenty minutes of pay by finishing early. It’s like they believe they are on salary.

Overpaid Union Thug

We bid this month too, every two years. I’m second on the seniority list so I anything I want. I’ve been on the same residential route since ‘96, so I don’t see any sense in changing at the end of my career.

Some of our drivers that are SUPPOSEDLY retiring this year are talking about moving around. They keep telling everyone the latest they will retire and the earliest yet are going to switch routes? LOL. None of them plan on staying past summer time.

Johney

We bid this month too, every two years. I’m second on the seniority list so I can get anything I want. I’ve been on the same residential route since ‘96, so I don’t see any sense in changing at the end of my career.
Except for the run #1 takes.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Some of our drivers that are SUPPOSEDLY retiring this year are talking about moving around. None of them plan on staying past summer time.

By working 156 days which will be mid-August, you are entitled to your six weeks of 2021 vacation pay. That's worth about $10,600 to keep before taxes. I will probably pay cash for a golf cart for my new house with that.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Except for the run #1 takes.
I'm not worried about Charlie, he is 70 years old and not changing his gravy route next to our Hub. The only guy I have known to file for pension and change his mind before the thirty days are up. I'm thinking mid-August to mid-October for me, I've had enough.

over9five

Staff member
They are changing feeder routes here weekly, I've changed twice in the last three weeks.
Yeah, they just posted maybe 20 job changes last night, mine included. Extra leg Saturday morning, yuck wtf...
Strange to even bother this close to the biennial bid.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The new mantra is you don't bid a route. You bid a position in a loop.

Gives them a lot more flexibility in screwing up routes.

Baseline routes used to end up garbage splits but with pocket dispatch they can screw up any route.

Yes but the point is the baseline route borders other loops and are where most adjustments start. By loop dispatch its a chain effect of moving stops between cars but that goes away when its ignored and they treat it as stops are stops (easier for PDS even though it violates loop dispatch rules). For instance the A route should be farthest from the baseline but that doesn't stop them from throwing anything they want on it to meet their stops per car metric.

For an old retired guy, you seem to know a lot about how things are run now.

Are you sure you aren't a management spy?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
By working 156 days which will be mid-August, you are entitled to your six weeks of 2021 vacation pay. That's worth about $10,600 to keep before taxes. I will probably pay cash for a golf cart for my new house with that.
I'm looking at Sept 1. Probably use that check to replace all our windows and doors.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Yeah, they just posted maybe 20 job changes last night, mine included. Extra leg Saturday morning, yuck wtf...
Strange to even bother this close to the biennial bid.
Better to make those changes right before the bid than right after, which is what they always seem to do here.

542thruNthru

I thought I remembered you taking a country route just a few years ago?

JustDeliverIt

We bid every 2 years but bid last Feb., so we have another year left. But they posted the bids for all the guys retiring a month or so ago, so we had a good amount of movement.

I have given thought 2 bid inside the building.

I actually just moved inside a few weeks ago because of guys retiring in my building, not a bad gig. No one else realized what a 22.2 bid was and I was the only one who signed it. Usually need 20+ years to have a chance at them, I'm still in progression and was able to land it.

Probably get bumped back out on the road next bid but I don't mind burning up a year of progression inside. No snow (although it has been a mild winter here), no being told to get done sooner, no missed scans that were never on your truck to begin with.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Why would you do that? I've never understood the perverse pleasure folks get out of that......I didn't appreciate it when I was a rookie and I won't do it to the people below me now that I haven't been a rookie in over 20 years.
If that gets under your skin, then I’m not sure how you’ve last this long here.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We bid every 2 years but bid last Feb., so we have another year left. But they posted the bids for all the guys retiring a month or so ago, so we had a good amount of movement.

I actually just moved inside a few weeks ago because of guys retiring in my building, not a bad gig. No one else realized what a 22.2 bid was and I was the only one who signed it. Usually need 20+ years to have a chance at them, I'm still in progression and was able to land it.

Probably get bumped back out on the road next bid but I don't mind burning up a year of progression inside. No snow (although it has been a mild winter here), no being told to get done sooner, no missed scans that were never on your truck to begin with.
How will you get bumped back out on the road from a 22.2 position?