Who's honestly going to retire as soon as they reach their benefit age?

beavis

Over the years I've noticed a trend among my coworkers who almost to a man said they wouldn't work a day longer than they have to once they reached their magic number or PEER (80 and out in my region). With very few exceptions most of them end up staying longer for a variety of reasons such as kids in college, can't give up the insurance, alimony, or simply can't afford it. I'm a few years off and know it will be an adjustment to my finances but the thought of getting paid to stay home seems way too strong to continue working here doing young man's work and in my case on the graveyard shift. To each his own obviously but just curious to know if and why some of you hang around.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Retirement should not be an adjustment to your finances if you plan properly. The key is to have as little debt as possible, debt free would be preferable, and to have a robust 401k balance to supplement your pension.

To answer your question-----I am eligible to retire 6/22/18 and will be doing so. I met with my financial adviser this past Friday and he is confident that the plan that we have put in place will provide me with the secure retirement that I deserve.

Retirement is so much more than "being paid to stay home".

Retirement is so much more than spending the bulk of your day on Brown Cafe----@rod, @moreluck and @oldngray.

It is time for me to enjoy myself and play Grandpa.

moreluck

golden ticket member
always saying "play grandpa" sounds wonky.

Retirement is.....doing whatever the hell you want to do as long as it's legal.

over9five

Staff member
Agree with OP.... Everyone says they will retire the first day they can, but almost nobody does.
I have NO plans to retire, tho I'll have my 30 in in a couple years. Our senior driver has 55 years in, I think I can beat that.....

Agree with OP.... Everyone says they will retire the first day they can, but almost nobody does.
I have NO plans to retire, tho I'll have my 30 in in a couple years. Our senior driver has 55 years in, I think I can beat that.....
Unfortunately many if the pension plans are underfunded and who knows how much we will end up paying for healthcare

Last edited by a moderator:

rod

Retired 22 years
Retirement should not be an adjustment to your finances if you plan properly. The key is to have as little debt as possible, debt free would be preferable, and to have a robust 401k balance to supplement your pension.

Retirement is so much more than spending the bulk of your day on Brown Cafe----@rod, @moreluck and @oldngray.

Bulk of my day? Are you kidding me? I'm not the one with 72,000+ posts. Tell me -how the hell does one "enjoy themselves" with no friends (other than a center manager who I'm sure secretly despises you) drives a womens car and lives in an apartment with only a cat for companionship?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We have 25 and out at any age and I know a couple guys who left at exactly 25. One of them was checking with the union hall damn near every week and literally the day he had his hours for the year he was gone. The last guy in my work group to retire had planned to go 30 but he got to 27 and said "screw this, I'm outta here". My plan is to leave right at 25 (a little less than 3 years to go) and income shouldn't be a problem, the only variable I can't account for right now is health care costs. If I stay longer than 25 that will be the reason so hopefully they will figure something out soon because I've got better things to do than hang around this place. I don't hate it but I sure as hell won't miss it.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

To answer your question-----I am eligible to retire 6/22/18 and will be doing so. I met with my financial adviser this past Friday and he is confident that the plan that we have put in place will provide me with the secure retirement that I deserve.

Don't forget about those "boundaries"

Lmao

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Certainly proof we all have different goals we want to accomplish in our lives.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Bulk of my day? Are you kidding me? I'm not the one with 72,000+ posts. Tell me -how the hell does one "enjoy themselves" with no friends (other than a center manager who I'm sure secretly despises you) drives a womens car and lives in an apartment with only a cat for companionship?
cat

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I was eligible in Jan 2010 but I was red-circled for company wide buyout so I stayed a couple more years to financially recoup the buyout from which I was not offered.
I was moved to another position where I worked for about 6 months before I turned in my notice.
Worked until Jan 2013 when I retired.
I should have left Jan 2012 ... the last position was the worst job I had in UPS in 40 years of employment.