Who's honestly going to retire as soon as they reach their benefit age?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
i'll be gone as soon as my 401k is eligible for it, then i can travel and be nagged to death by my wife

that's assuming i don't get bought out or just fired before; as long as i can make it the next 10 years my retirement will be fine even if i end up as a freaking walmart greeter till then

The Milkman

Agree with OP.... Everyone says they will retire the first day they can, but almost nobody does.
I have NO plans to retire, tho I'll have my 30 in in a couple years. Our senior driver has 55 years in, I think I can beat that.....

Beat that for what? Why waste your life just to say 'I have 56 years in UPS" There is more to life than working when you don't have to. You have no plans to retire, well FYI, the one plan in life is that someday you will die. Don't be one of those who died with their browns on.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Beat that for what? Why waste your life just to say 'I have 56 years in UPS" There is more to life than working when you don't have to. You have no plans to retire, well FYI, the one plan in life is that someday you will die. Don't be one of those who died with their browns on.
Our number one guy is closing in on 40 years but he's a mess, his family life and finances are a shambles and he literally can't afford to retire. I use him as cautionary tale when talking to younger drivers, "Make good decisions, don't end up like that guy".

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I was eligible in Jan 2010 but I was red-circled for company wide buyout so I stayed a couple more years to financially recoup the buyout from which I was not offered.
I was moved to another position where I worked for about 6 months before I turned in my notice.
Worked until Jan 2013 when I retired.
I should have left Jan 2012 ... the last position was the worst job I had in UPS in 40 years of employment.

I've seen multiple drivers close to retirement get increasingly heavy dispatches, more hours, bigger bulk, slower resi areas, etc. It seems to me that once you hit eligibility, UPS wants you gone and will do everything they can to intimidate you into cashing in your chips.

I never considered that they'd do the same to mgmt, but you suggest it might be that way there also. Interesting!

over9five

Staff member
Yikes, all this talk of retirement. Even I went to the pension website.
I've never checked it out before, learned a lot.
I've changed my mind. I will not try to beat the senior drivers 55 yer record...

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Get every cent you can and every year out you can. While they're still available.

clean hairy

Yikes, all this talk of retirement. Even I went to the pension website.
I've never checked it out before, learned a lot.
I've changed my mind. I will not try to beat the senior drivers 55 yer record...
Go big or go home!
Why go after a 55 yr record, if you gonna do it, go for the big one!
63 years is the all time record....

40 and out

Over the years I've noticed a trend among my coworkers who almost to a man said they wouldn't work a day longer than they have to once they reached their magic number or PEER (80 and out in my region). With very few exceptions most of them end up staying longer for a variety of reasons such as kids in college, can't give up the insurance, alimony, or simply can't afford it. I'm a few years off and know it will be an adjustment to my finances but the thought of getting paid to stay home seems way too strong to continue working here doing young man's work and in my case on the graveyard shift. To each his own obviously but just curious to know if and why some of you hang around.
Used to be most everyone was gone after 25years. Now most aren't leaving til 30 to 35years. Our pension hasn't gone up in 25 years. Has gone from almost full pay to little more than beer money

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
When my benefit day came , my yearly pension benefit was half of what I made working. Lots of ways to look at that but , I looked at it as if I stepped on car , I was taking a 50% pay cut if I worked . Made me tired just thinking about it that way. So-- A bye-bye-bye
A friend since childhood ( we are the same age ) started driving at our center 4 years before I did . I have been out now going on 9 years and he is still driving. His pension will be more but , we crunched the numbers and if he retires next year ( thats a maybe ) our break even point in pension will be about 20 years away.
Work till you can't take another step and don't sign up for SS till you are 70.
" Life is hard . It's harder if you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Last edited:

The Driver

I drive.
Projected to have about +/- $800,000 using (retirement calculators based on 15% contribution and 7% average annual growth rate) in my retirement account by 55. That puts me at 25 years of service. If I'm in feeders and enjoying it I'll stick around if I'm healthy. If I'm in package and in pain everyday I'm out with early retirement. Maybe prepare for an encore career.

Trying to prophetically stay fit and eat healthy, etc. Just went on the 9.5 list. I'm not really worried about burnout because I have financial goals, no debt, no children. But I'm concerned about breaking down physically like I've seen even the younger guys do at my building this week in the heat wave.