Why are the negotiations so private?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I was around in 2013 also. Whats going on now with not being able to staff a preload was not this bad then. Also not being able to staff because of low pay isnt a union issue, its the companies.
Exactly. What the union should have focused on was the raises those workers get after starting.

Inthegame

I was around in 2013 also. Whats going on now with not being able to staff a preload was not this bad then.
The point is the union negotiators pushed for a higher pt start rate and larger raises in 2013, predicting what would occur if UPS held fast to their number. So it's no surprise to the union side what happened, and no surprise to UPS.
Also not being able to staff because of low pay isnt a union issue, its the companies.
You made low pay a union issue with this...
Anyone with a pulse knows the company had to raise wages, little too no effort would be needed by the union for that.
I was merely explaining the National Negotiating Committee was well aware of the consequences.
Anyway, I predict the start wages will be raised, but not enough, and the understaffing issue will continue.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
The point is the union negotiators pushed for a higher pt start rate and larger raises in 2013, predicting what would occur if UPS held fast to their number. So it's no surprise to the union side what happened, and no surprise to UPS.
I was merely explaining the National Negotiating Committee was well aware of the consequences.
Anyway, I predict the start wages will be raised, but not enough, and the understaffing issue will continue.
@Indecisi0n likes privates

Staydryitsraining

My point was if any the union wasted time and concessions for pt starting pay. The focus should have been making sure existing employees will not make the same as an off the street. Or bigger pension contributions. Or harassment. Or 9.5 language and turning it into 8 hour language. Im not in the know but the union fighting for higher starting wage wasnt a fight for them.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
My point was if any the union wasted time and concessions for pt starting pay. The focus should have been making sure existing employees will not make the same as an off the street. Or bigger pension contributions. Or harassment. Or 9.5 language and turning it into 8 hour language. Im not in the know but the union fighting for higher starting wage wasnt a fight for them.
I think the deals done and the meetings are for show, imo

Inthegame

As Tony Q stated, increasing pt starting pay was a demand put forth by members just as it was in 2013. Ignoring that would be irresponsible, addressing it is being responsive and accountable to the people that pay the negotiators, not wasting time.
Everything else you listed has been addressed in every contract for the last 40 years.

Staydryitsraining

As Tony Q stated, increasing pt starting pay was a demand put forth by members just as it was in 2013. Ignoring that would be irresponsible, addressing it is being responsive and accountable to the people that pay the negotiators, not wasting time.
Everything else you listed has been addressed in every contract for the last 40 years.
Oh sorry thought you understood what i was saying.

Tony Q

It's not a matter of effort, it's a matter of priority. Everyone with a pulse knew pt starting wage was too low in 2013. That didn't stop UPS from sticking to their ridiculously low pt wage offer then and accept the constant turnover vs higher wage/benefit costs.
And there is that old saying that I hate to bring up. Part-timers don't vote. Hopefully with this electronic voting this changes.

Tony Q

Would it not have been prudent to wait until the Company proposed that, seeing that they can't staff their sorts as a result of substandard wages?

SMH
Yeah, it probably would have been, but you cant ignore the number 1 proposal. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Tony Q

I certainly wouldn’t want to have a Union contract negotiation on my professional record given the way the end products seem to be on a downward trend these days. Fortunately, some of our highest level guys are older and will be just fine regardless of the outcome.

Hope the issues kept off the floor are picked back up and fought for at some point.

Would the negotiators maybe do better if that darned UPS Rising page didn’t exist?
The UPS Rising app, and web site were set up to inform the members. They were originally set up by Sean and his Rain man. I don't believe that certain information can be put out there, so I can't say for sure that it's a bust. I know the a lot of members go there for information, and it is informative. There are some members that crave more information, kinda like a Fox News mentality. This is where there is the disconnect. I don't believe You can ever make the majority of members happy, so I don't know the answer.

When it's all announced I believe if you look at the contract as a whole you will be pleasantly surprised. This is just my opinion.

Last edited: