Why are the negotiations so private?

PT Car Washer

That seems like a pretty small minority of places. But that's awesome.

In my building which has probably 400 PTers, we might have 10 or 20 who do anything with the union, and maybe only 30 who are members at all. And they all have over a decade in seniority and it definitely skews toward the bums and troublemakers who regularly need union intervention to keep their jobs. It's just understood around here that people join the union when they go FT.
Local 89 is Worldport.

wilberforce15

It is not representative of the PT membership elsewhere, and it's pretty small as a raw number compared to the rest of the union. Whatever it's like there does not indicate what it's like elsewhere when one paints with a broad brush. It's huge as an individual site, but it's also very small compared to the rest of the company.

PT Car Washer

It is not representative of the PT membership elsewhere, and it's pretty small as a raw number compared to the rest of the union. Whatever it's like there does not indicate what it's like elsewhere when one paints with a broad brush. It's huge as an individual site, but it's also very small compared to the rest of the company.
Maybe, but since UPS has put all of their NDA eggs in one basket, it is a critical operation.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I wrote down the names of the 900 people out of roughly 4000 that chose to vote in our last Local election and cross referenced them with the seniority lists that I was a privy to....and very few UPS part timers voted.

I often handbill at the gate and had a contract parking lot meeting just yesterday, while 9 out of 10 part timers blew by us and declined to take a flyer.

So yes, I certainly feel qualified to make the statements I made.
about the same at our hub which is pretty big. about 20-25 % part timers voted the last contract. Out of 165 feeder drivers , about 80 % voted.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
And if there was such a PT revolt it would be put down very quickly by the Local and the International. Just look how they imposed the last contract when the PT at Local 89 stood up.
Have you ever heard the expression, "one step backwards to take two steps forward"?

The imposition of the last contract on Local 89 was a PR nightmare for the IBT and UPS, nearly costing Hoffa the General Election.
No way that happens again.

I have it on good authority that the Local 89 Air Rider is already finished and will be signed off on next week, with the Local getting everything they asked for.

So you see, while it took a contract cycle for the part time uprising in Louisville to bear fruit, in the end it has.

We can make all the excuses in the world for how we got where we are today, but it doesn't change the fact that part time employees are the vast majority, and if they would just rise up and vote, they could write their own ticket.

PT Car Washer

Have you ever heard the expression, "one step backwards to take two steps forward"?

The imposition of the last contract on Local 89 was a PR nightmare for the IBT and UPS, nearly costing Hoffa the General Election.
No way that happens again.

I have it on good authority that the Local 89 Air Rider is already finished and will be signed off on next week, with the Local getting everything they asked for.

So you see, while it took a contract cycle for the part time uprising in Louisville to bear fruit, in the end it has.

We can make all the excuses in the world for how we got where we are today, but it doesn't change the fact that part time employees are the vast majority, and if they would just rise up and vote, they could write their own ticket.
Sounds real fine ,but the fact is the starting wage for a preloader has risen $1/hr in 36 years. 1982 $9/hr. 2018 $10.35/hr. How much has your wage gone up in that time?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

That's why the language is not going to be as bad, as everyone thinks.

But, the membership is the deciding factor. Plus it would be political suicide.

Sounds real fine ,but the fact is the starting wage for a preloader has risen $1/hr in 36 years. 1982 $9/hr. 2018 $10.35/hr. How much has your wage gone up in that time?

Uh, I hate to be "that" guy;

The starting rate for a preloader or sorter was $9/hr in 1982.

In 2018, it's $11/hr. (and change depending where you are)

More negotiations set for July. Another worthless update coming soon..

What are you expecting to hear ?

The deal is done. The only thing they are working on now is how to shove it up our backside.

The company and the Union....

Are flying multiple people around the country for no purpose.

Right.

SMH

-Bug-

Pizza

Joe Biden is The Big Guy

Right.

SMH

-Bug-

giphy.gif

bowhnterdon

That's why the language is not going to be as bad, as everyone thinks.

But, the membership is the deciding factor. Plus it would be political suicide.

Uh, I hate to be "that" guy;

The starting rate for a preloader or sorter was $9/hr in 1982.

In 2018, it's $11/hr. (and change depending where you are)

What are you expecting to hear ?

Right.

SMH

-Bug-
That Hybrid drivers are coming whether we like it or not... but thanks for the typical Teamster response...

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Sounds real fine ,but the fact is the starting wage for a preloader has risen $1/hr in 36 years. 1982 $9/hr. 2018 $10.35/hr.
Yep...and again, that is because part timers do not vote, leaving their interests and needs ignored.

You can continue to paint the picture that they are martyrs, but the reality is they are willing victims.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
For the most part they are a disposable work force and only care about the now and not tomorrow.
....and that is certainly their prerogative.

All I'm saying is that they have a choice, a choice they pay for.
This choice is a simple "yes" or "no" answer, but they seem to prefer to not answer at all....

All we are doing here is kicking around ideas, in hopes of making a little sense, out of nonsense.