why does Ground keep ignoring residential pickups?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am getting ready to watch a movie. There is a box of 3-D glasses with a UPS prepaid label waiting to be picked up. It has been there since Saturday and will probably still be there tomorrow when I go back to work.

northbound

so i go deliver 2 items to an apt hi-rise complex w/ a doorman...

he ask me if i'm Ground & I point to my shoulder w/ the dog logo & say, i'm Home Delivery that works on Saturdays

"well, we have 2 items waiting on Ground to pick them up for over a week now"

"why are they neglecting them?"

me, "i have no idea; maybe it's not worth the Ground driver's time to pick up 2 boxes"

"tell the residents to drive it down the street to the 24-hour Kinko's, i mean FedEx Office at the shopping center or request to have Home Delivery pick up the returns instead for future cases"

doorman thanks me

i go and drop them off at the kinko's later in the day during my RTB time so he can finally get credit for the p/ups... or should i have waited until Tues during the morning audit to let them know that Ground is still dropping the ball?

For years now, I have been queried at least several times per week by customers about Ground shipments that have been sitting there for days, waiting to be picked-up. I always politely refuse the package and tell them to call the 800 number and complain. We are always hearing from Ground contractors here on BC how great Ground is and how far they've come in terms of improving service. So, why is this still happening? At Express, a missed pickup is a really big deal, and someone will be disciplined if there isn't a really good reason for not being there by the customer close time or just not getting it at all. With all of the turnover and new people, it has become much more of a problem than it used to be.

At my terminal missed pickups are a really big deal also. They just don't happen period. If a customer calls in and it gets scheduled then it gets pick up. If a customer just sets a prp by her desk and doesn't call it in then yes it will sit there til there is a delivery and someone tells the driver there's a pickup

HomeDelivery

CJinx said:
Might be worth calling your ground counterpart and asking if they know about it. If they don't and can't or won't pick it up, why not throw it in your truck and let your station deal with it in the morning? Or bring it to a Kinkos if it's on your way?

that's what i'm doing now in the past few years, either letting the morning QA clerk deal with them or drop it off at Kinkos; either way, i'm not getting paid for either ~ just do it as a courtesy & offered them better solutions than relying on the Ground driver as noted on my first post

calling w/ my personal prepaid cellphone & waste more unpaid time? no way!

i got yelled at the first time i brought back unscheduled p/ups, but since our Ground counterparts in my local area are dropping the ball, they are now just accepting to deal w/ it or the 24 hour kinko's will handle it without question

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am getting ready to watch a movie. There is a box of 3-D glasses with a UPS prepaid label waiting to be picked up. It has been there since Saturday and will probably still be there tomorrow when I go back to work.

Ironically, as I was coming out of the movie, our driver was delivering more call tags to the theater manager. He did not have his cart with him so the box was not picked up.

SPH---if I want your opinion I will ask bbsam for it.

STFXG

Sounds like the ground drivers have you trained to cover pickups. I've got the express driver trained to pick anything up for me and call me. Then I just grab them from him later in the day when I run in to him. I get paid the same. And less work.

MAKAVELI

Ironically, as I was coming out of the movie, our driver was delivering more call tags to the theater manager. He did not have his cart with him so the box was not picked up.

SPH---if I want your opinion I will ask bbsam for it.
Maybe your co worker was a former ground driver. And since this is the good ol USA I think I'll give my opinion when I feel like it.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
A lot of these third world nation call center idiots send Ground pickups to Express which costs us a whole bunch of time in many cases. I rarely accept them anymore.

FDX has had over 12 years to iron out this problem but the upper management apparently can't be bothered.

bbsam

Staff member
A lot of these third world nation call center idiots send Ground pickups to Express which costs us a whole bunch of time in many cases. I rarely accept them anymore.

FDX has had over 12 years to iron out this problem but the upper management apparently can't be bothered.
We get yours too. Pain in the ass.

MaineGroundDriver

Works both ways .. we also get Express pickups put through as Ground. This is a waste of my time. Believe it or not, my time is just as valuable as yours. It's frustrating. I also love it when I have a pickup called in, I go out to one of my "runners" to get it picked up and am then told "Oh, the girl driver (Express) took it." Then later in the day when I'm doing my pickup as Express and ask them about it, I get "Nope, haven't seen it", yet I then find it sitting in with my pickups for the day there?? I do NOT pick up Express packages anymore to help out either after being chewed out by Express for doing the same thing they do to me ..

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
I also love it when I have a pickup called in, I go out to one of my "runners" to get it picked up and am then told "Oh, the girl driver (Express) took it." Then later in the day when I'm doing my pickup as Express and ask them about it, I get "Nope, haven't seen it", yet I then find it sitting in with my pickups for the day there??

So why not check your pickups beforehand?

northbound

I also love it when I have a pickup called in, I go out to one of my "runners" to get it picked up and am then told "Oh, the girl driver (Express) took it." Then later in the day when I'm doing my pickup as Express and ask them about it, I get "Nope, haven't seen it", yet I then find it sitting in with my pickups for the day there??

So why not check your pickups beforehand?

Do you call every pickup and see if they have a package or someone else already got it?