Why shouldn't we strike?

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
First off, paragraphs and sentence structure are your friends. If you want to be taken as serious as you seem to project, communicate with some comprehension.

When I type on my tablet I don't even try...

[/QUOTE=Second, it was a simple question. Calm down Nancy.[/QUOTE]

Sorry it's been a rough week....

[/QUOTE]You seem to have some hell bent anger and chip on your shoulder about your situation at ups. [/QUOTE]

YOU WOULD BE CORRECT ABOUT THAT. Lol

[/QUOTE]Why don't you channel that aggression into something more useful that could actually change the situation, like voting and getting involved with the union more?[/QUOTE]

I am channeling that anger to make the situation better! Lol

[/QUOTE]" Obviously from the last few days posting on here I've figured out the problem is green horns don't engage and or vote. "

So yes I'm very interested in discussing all sides of a possible strike and figuring out what all I can do to help make some type of change. [/QUOTE]

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Listen if your working up to a rant about how a greenhorn shouldn't talk save me the BS... " Oh wait until youve done it 10 or 20 years then you'll get it " ... etc... etc...
Obviously from the last few days posting on here I've figured out the problem is green horns don't engage and or vote.
Granted I've got an advantage that most don't from teamsters and union pacific, where my brother is still employed, My Grandfather was a union steward and Uncle was a Union steward for Car haulers division. But the UPS system in comparison is horrid. Heck I was even flat out lied to about my starting pay was going to be 15 on preload. When they called me I had applied as a driver and worked preload/helper the previous christmas but they said they was interested in hiring me as a driver because they was needing drivers so they wanted to start me on preload for a couple weeks until they could get me into driver school... now to a UPS outsider doesnt that sound like your getting hired to be a UPS driver? Nothing was ever mentioned that they needed Saturday/Seasonal drivers. And to stay qualified for that I have to stay on this minimum wage preload job! What a bunch of BS!
You guys even realize how raw of a deal your getting compared to say the railroad. Start pay just doing track work "very unskilled work" was I believe 23 or 28 You put in seven 10 or 12 hour days and then your off a week. I believe per diem was like 150 per day and health is just as good but the retirement is better.
So yes I'm very interested in discussing all sides of a possible strike and figuring out what all I can do to help make some type of change.
One problem with being an engineer is they can call you at any time to go on a run... Have a family member who has 25 years senority and his hours are more funky than a new feeder driver....

Orion inc.

I like turtles
When I type on my tablet I don't even try...

[/QUOTE=Second, it was a simple question. Calm down Nancy.

Sorry it's been a rough week....

[/QUOTE]You seem to have some hell bent anger and chip on your shoulder about your situation at ups. [/QUOTE]

YOU WOULD BE CORRECT ABOUT THAT. Lol

[/QUOTE]Why don't you channel that aggression into something more useful that could actually change the situation, like voting and getting involved with the union more?[/QUOTE]

I am channeling that anger to make the situation better! Lol

[/QUOTE]" Obviously from the last few days posting on here I've figured out the problem is green horns don't engage and or vote. "

So yes I'm very interested in discussing all sides of a possible strike and figuring out what all I can do to help make some type of change. [/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I'm assuming you're young and haven't been at ups that long. Best advice I can give you is to figure out what direction you want your time at ups to go. Do you want to go FT? Do you want to be a career PTer? Whatever you decide that works, focus on that.

Sign bid sheets and take what job direction serves you best. You don't have any type of authority to call a strike so don't worry about it. Get involved with the union if you want to change those things.

But as far a strike, it's above yours and most of our pay grades. And a strike in this day and age won't be like 97. It'll put guys like you out of work completely.

It's good leverage as a threat but you don't want one to happen. It won't be pretty in our industry and we don't have the solidarity we did in 97.

It's a whole different world sadly.

Foamer Pyle

So a drivers making 34 is really 54. I give it extra because I would assume a full time drivers benefits are a bit better.

If 54 is the real number for a driver then maybe no driver should ever want better or even request an 8 hour day.

I do understand what you are saying though... However I don't believe that's good enough reason to roll over and accept 11 per hour with horrible pay progression.
Are you serious? I base the way I live off my earnings without overtime. You know, there is something that doesn't sit well with me when I get home at 9pm. That's not good for a marriage, or your kids. If you want to work those kinds of hours, more power to you. I have said it before and I will say it again " You can't buy back time." The difference in take home pay when you start working lots of overtime is menial, because taxes eat the crap out of your paycheck. I would much rather be home at 6:30 having dinner with my family, instead of eating at 9:15, taking a shower, then going to bed at 10:30. What a life!

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Are you serious? I base the way I live off my earnings without overtime. You know, there is something that doesn't sit well with me when I get home at 9pm. That's not good for a marriage, or your kids. If you want to work those kinds of hours, more power to you. I have said it before and I will say it again " You can't buy back time." The difference in take home pay when you start working lots of overtime is menial, because taxes eat the crap out of your paycheck. I would much rather be home at 6:30 having dinner with my family, instead of eating at 9:15, taking a shower, then going to bed at 10:30. What a life!

If your OT is eating up in taxes, you aren't maxing out your 401k enough to reduce your tax liability.

You made the family, you have to support it.

I wasn't always happy bit I made enough so that the wife could stay home.

Foamer Pyle

You made the family, you have to support it.

I wasn't always happy bit I made enough so that the wife could stay home.
Like I said, I always based how I live on a 40 hour week. The home I am in now, I bought 17 years ago, and I told myself I didn't want a mortgage that I couldn't pay, if it was more than one paycheck. So, how do you think I am sitting now, 17 years later with all they pay increases. I also don't spend a bunch of money on cars, and no credit card debt. Let the rookies or the people that bit off more than they can chew work all the overtime.
We make more than enough money to live on, if you don't spend foolishly.

Like I said, I always based how I live on a 40 hour week. The home I am in now, I bought 17 years ago, and I told myself I didn't want a mortgage that I couldn't pay, if it was more than one paycheck. So, how do you think I am sitting now, 17 years later with all they pay increases. I also don't spend a bunch of money on cars, and no credit card debt. Let the rookies or the people that bit off more than they can chew work all the overtime.
You are preaching to the choir

Griffin1820

File! File! File!

No that was not me being serious. That was a sarcastic type of reply to someone else.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
If your OT is eating up in taxes, you aren't maxing out your 401k enough to reduce your tax liability.
Putting more into your 401k will bring your tax bracket down? But if you put more in are you increasing your take home pay that week as well? I mean I understand it's your money going into the 401k but can you also increase your take home as well as put more in?

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Yawn

Indecisi0n

So your going to die in an old house, old car, old cloths, no toys but a boat load of money in the bank. Sounds awesome !

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
So your going to die in an old house, old car, old cloths, no toys but a boat load of money in the bank. Sounds awesome !
IMG_1095.GIF