Will UPS CEO Carol Tome sacrifice for the team?

AKCoverMan

Yes I would. Now if you’re fighting for something worth shutting the company down; like fair pay, time off, safety. I would think about joining you. But I know the fight is going be over something like ac or like I need more money because you make more money.
AC in a package car is not a safety issue? and fair pay, time off are all part of what we are looking for.

I’m not looking for higher hourly pay above and beyond inflation. I’ll be happy to make less on an annual basis if it means I can actually be present at something in life that is not work.

Pullman Brown

“All businesses should earn profits; if they do not, they are in an unhealthy state and at risk of disappearance. But there is an important question: should one aim for an adequate level of profit, or must one always reach for the stars by seeking the highest possible profit?…

Here is one argument against the target of maximum profitability: as it grows, a business can generally widen its profit margins, because its expansion gives it bigger shares of its markets and thus greater pricing power…

Thus, half a century ago, the doyen of management theory Peter Drucker wrote:

Profit serves three purposes. [First] It measures the net effectiveness and soundness of a business's efforts. It is indeed the ultimate test of business performance.

[Second] It is the "risk premium" that covers the costs of staying in business - replacement, obsolescence, market risk, uncertainty ... the task of a business is to provide adequately for these "costs of staying in business" by earning an adequate profit—which not enough businesses do.

Finally, profit insures the supply of future capital for innovation and expansion, either through ploughing back of profits or by attracting capital from outside investors.”

UPS is fine! Adequate profits. They don’t have to have maximum! The servile state is hurting UPS profits. Post Office !

AKCoverMan

The quest to outdo every quarter leads to self destruction.

I see it all the time where we try to squeeze out a delivery day with one less route only to have to bleed time and miles at night putting out the fire of service failures.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
September 1976

1674346491748.png