Will UPS ever offer driver buyout?

ThePackageDeli

If you do the simple math on cost for last mile service and it comes out that Amazon is able to get the job done cheaper then guess what, they will be snatching away our business.

PT Crazy

*HYPOTHETICAL:

Beginning next year, all new hires are given the choice between being a union member, paying dues and starting out at $13 -OR- opting out of the union and starting at $15/hr... What's stoppping UPS from replacing it's workforce in 5-10 years time with largely non-union employees?
Well, under the new contract in MN all new hires start at $15.00/hour. I like the union and the dues and protection! $30.00/hour part time. Free insurance, vacation, paid sick days. All the overtime that I want.

ThePackageDeli

Are you going to answer my original question?

Do you know any of the history about UPS?

They survived a couple of world wars
The great depression and the great recession.

Countless numbers of competitors

Sometimes they dropped the ball but they still find their way.
They've never faced a company like Amazon since the e-commerce boom. Ebay is starting a shipping service too even.. The industry leverage we once had when we fist unionized is weakening and we can't compete with companies offering the same services provided by employees making 1/3 of what we make.

They've never faced a company like Amazon since the e-commerce boom. Ebay is starting a shipping service too even.. The industry leverage we once had when we fist unionized is weakening and we can't compete with companies offering the same services provided by employees making 1/3 of what we make.
4th and final time answer the Damn question

Trash Panda

I wasnt around when the 08 crash happened with the company but was a member of the steelworkers then. Only buyout for employees were those with 10+ years of service. More focused for retirees and those who wanted the free cash to leave. They did that to save jobs when the layoffs hit.

Not sure if UPS does the same or not.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I was outside in the yard today. Amazon driver delivered a package to my neighbor across the street. She got back in her little van, started it up, pulled it up 5', got out of it and brought me a package as well.:confused2:

Re-Raise

I was outside in the yard today. Amazon driver delivered a package to my neighbor across the street. She got back in her little van, started it up, pulled it up 5', got out of it and brought me a package as well.:confused2:
I was delivering in Texas today and some old guy stood in his yard while I delivered across the street, and then didn’t move one foot while I had to bring a package to him as well

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
For example, if the company ever came to the point where they absolutely needed to lower employee wages in order to stay in business, are they allowed to somehow overthrow the union. Would they have to fire the entire workforce and hire non-union employees, or would current employees have to sign a waiver to leave the union?
All ups has to do is get jamie flemming to make another doom and gloom chart and post it on YouTube. The union will create this new 22.5 job you want to save your fat mip bonus.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I was delivering in Texas today and some old guy stood in his yard while I delivered across the street, and then didn’t move one foot while I had to bring a package to him as well
I don't think that was you, cause I met the driver halfway down my driveway and took the package from her.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

And being 10 X unproductive....

Now back to your original question: (No Early Buyout) never for the UPS long term union employee, they are way too valuable. Currently they are targeting the high seniority mid management types, those eligible for retirement but are still hanging on for various reasons. "Get the Big Picture"..any entry management position, particularly part time is considered temporary..Case in point : The elimination of Management's retirement vesting package in 2023 and the corresponding reduction of current full time mid level management positions.

The reality of this is that "Both" the company and the union wants us to work longer with the hope of pushing our retirement ages closer to age 65. Said this before the savings just on covering any early retiree's Health and Welfare would the deciding factor.