Will UPS ever offer driver buyout?

Turdferguson

Just a turd
They've never faced a company like Amazon since the e-commerce boom. Ebay is starting a shipping service too even.. The industry leverage we once had when we fist unionized is weakening and we can't compete with companies offering the same services provided by employees making 1/3 of what we make.

You do realize that FedEx isn't unionized and is actually UPS main competition?
Amazon is just delivering their own stuff and is having trouble doing it.
Amazon is moving away from USPS and UPS for its in-house delivery network — but the 'sloppier' system may be delaying your packages

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
For example, if the company ever came to the point where they absolutely needed to lower employee wages in order to stay in business, are they allowed to somehow overthrow the union. Would they have to fire the entire workforce and hire non-union employees, or would current employees have to sign a waiver to leave the union?
Lower wage workers?

Have they lowered Management salaries/perks? Start hacking heavily at the top then work down.

Zowert

UPS would have to pay a penalty to get out of/separate from the Teamsters Union. If that happened UPS could offer drivers whatever wages they wanted without having to deal with collective bargaining. Basically, you can take a pay cut or head for the unemployment line. They’d have to hire a ton of new drivers off the street to fill in for the ones who say “friend you!”

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
I wouldn’t take a buyout. Not that I like this place, but I still have 20 years to go. Unless it’s a ridiculous amount, I’ll stay and make my money.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
There is no way UPS will ever offer drivers a buyout. It's much cheaper to overwork them until they quit. We are nothing but pieces of equipment that can be replaced by a cheaper piece of equipment. The company does not care about any of its employees as human beings one bit. It's really simple when one learns to accept this reality.

There is no way UPS will ever offer driver's a buyout. It's much cheaper to overwork them until they quit. We are nothing but pieces of equipment that can be replaced by a cheaper piece of equipment. The company does not care about any of its employees as human beings one bit. Its really simple when one learns to accept this reality.
Unless the union agreed to more 22.4 jobs and less RPCD

bowhnterdon

This idea has come up every time the contract has been re-negotiated for

like the last 30 years. The answer is no.... it will never happen.
Correct,never happen. Never. Why would they? Buyouts are used to reduce headcount. Under most Supplements ,UPS would have to replace the hourly anyway.Only under severe WC cases have I seen a buyout