Will UPS use the 70 hour rule this peak season

When do they move the dot hours to 70

• Not this year, we our ready for peak 2018

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • We lied, so were going to need you to come in Saturday

Votes: 32 88.9%

• Total voters

542thruNthru

Hey..... did you hear?!! UPS Abney is promising us a busy year and few of his lapdogs agreed so it much be true????

Also, UPSer use censorship, only the management can speak and their comment must be 100% Abney positive, am with you all the way to smelling Abney's ass.

November was too quiet to be a "busy". December is going to be a sham. It is probably why he built more facility across US so he doesn't have to give us works for us "folks".
b3a.gif

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
We're still 60 here, and have never gone to 70 in years past.
I'm interested to know (while nobody seems to be able to tell me with any certainty) what the "process" is for UPS to enact the "70 hour rule" when previously only abiding by the "60 hour rule" in an area or region.

Do they have to apply with the DOT, make a declaration, or just do it, etc...???

sandwich

The resident gearhead
That’s what I’ve always told anyone that’s asked,take the heat in office the next morning but don’t punch out,still guys punch out and sit sometimes for an hour or two
Why does anyone listen to management. Why wouldn't you call your shop steward or B.A. about that. Idiots.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm interested to know (while nobody seems to be able to tell me with any certainty) what the "process" is for UPS to enact the "70 hour rule" when previously only abiding by the "60 hour rule" in an area or region.

Do they have to apply with the DOT, make a declaration, or just do it, etc...???

No process.

Per the DOT, UPS can follow either, and it is just up to UPS which rule to assign drivers to.

FMCSA guidance questions and answers to the HOS rules.

Question 1: May a motor carrier switch from a 60-hour/7-day limit to a 70-hour/8-day limit or vice versa?

Guidance:

Yes. The only restriction regarding the use of the 70-hour/8-day rule is that the motor carrier must have Commercial Motor Vehicle CMVs operating every day of the week. The 70-hour/8-day rule is a permissive provision in that a motor carrier with vehicles operating every day of the week is not required to use the 70-hour/8-day rules for calculating its drivers’ hours of service. The motor carrier may, however, assign some or all of its drivers to operate under the 70-hour/8-day rule if it so chooses. The assignment of individual drivers to the 60-hour/7-day or the 70-hour/8-day time rule is left to the discretion of the motor carrier.

Question 3: May a carrier which provides occasional, but not regular service on every day of the week, have the option of the 60 hours in 7 days or 70 hours in 8 days with respect to all drivers, during the period in which it operates one or more vehicles on each day of the week?

Guidance:

Yes.

Question 6: If a motor carrier operates under the 70-hour/8-day rule, does any aspect of the 60-hour rule apply to its operations? If a motor carrier operates under the60-hour/7-day rule, does any part of the 70-hour rule apply to its operations?

Guidance:

If a motor carrier operates 7 days per week and chooses to require all of its drivers to comply with the 70-hour/8-day rule, the 60-hour/7-day rule would not be applicable to these drivers. If this carrier chooses to assign some or all of its drivers to the 60-hour/7-day rule, the 70-hour rule would not be applicable to these drivers. Conversely, if a motor carrier does not operate 7 days per week, it must operate under the 60-hour/7-day rule and the 70-hour rule would not apply to its operations.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
No process.

Per the DOT, UPS can follow either, and it is just up to UPS which rule to assign drivers to.

FMCSA guidance questions and answers to the HOS rules.

Question 1: May a motor carrier switch from a 60-hour/7-day limit to a 70-hour/8-day limit or vice versa?

Guidance:

Yes. The only restriction regarding the use of the 70-hour/8-day rule is that the motor carrier must have Commercial Motor Vehicle CMVs operating every day of the week. The 70-hour/8-day rule is a permissive provision in that a motor carrier with vehicles operating every day of the week is not required to use the 70-hour/8-day rules for calculating its drivers’ hours of service. The motor carrier may, however, assign some or all of its drivers to operate under the 70-hour/8-day rule if it so chooses. The assignment of individual drivers to the 60-hour/7-day or the 70-hour/8-day time rule is left to the discretion of the motor carrier.

Question 3: May a carrier which provides occasional, but not regular service on every day of the week, have the option of the 60 hours in 7 days or 70 hours in 8 days with respect to all drivers, during the period in which it operates one or more vehicles on each day of the week?

Guidance:

Yes.

Question 6: If a motor carrier operates under the 70-hour/8-day rule, does any aspect of the 60-hour rule apply to its operations? If a motor carrier operates under the60-hour/7-day rule, does any part of the 70-hour rule apply to its operations?

Guidance:

If a motor carrier operates 7 days per week and chooses to require all of its drivers to comply with the 70-hour/8-day rule, the 60-hour/7-day rule would not be applicable to these drivers. If this carrier chooses to assign some or all of its drivers to the 60-hour/7-day rule, the 70-hour rule would not be applicable to these drivers. Conversely, if a motor carrier does not operate 7 days per week, it must operate under the 60-hour/7-day rule and the 70-hour rule would not apply to its operations.
Can you post the link where you copy and pasted this information (please)???

lolbr

Conversely, if a motor carrier does not operate 7 days per week, it must operate under the 60-hour/7-day rule and the 70-hour rule would not apply to its operations.
Are feeders running 7 days a week? Package drivers aren't. I guess technically, if they start a couple hours before midnight Sunday night, or run a couple hours past midnight on Satuday night, someone is working on Sunday. But that's not "really" running 7 days a week.

542thruNthru

Are feeders running 7 days a week? Package drivers aren't. I guess technically, if they start a couple hours before midnight Sunday night, or run a couple hours past midnight on Satuday night, someone is working on Sunday. But that's not "really" running 7 days a week.

Feeders run on Sunday.

Plus UPS has sleeper teams. I'm sure they run on Sunday's too.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Yes, feeder runs 7 days a week. Feeder in my area is currently working under the 70 hour rule with a mandatory 6th punch.