Working off the clock

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I was talking to a driver from my old center last night, and he said there was a big conference call scheduled today because the drivers, even though they are beating miles, are not following ORION at a high enough percentage.
There's a report we get with ORION showing guys who require the most help because they came in so far UNDER planned miles. Granted most of those guys are that way because they didn't follow trace for crap. But it's comical when a guy beats the perfect solution by 30 miles.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Orion is just a tool.

Anyone who follows it stop for stop is a fool.
I don't follow it stop for stop but I do WAD. It's a tool. A very badly implemented tool that the metrics are too rigid to use it as a common sense tool.

But I forgot the BOG is full of rainbows and pure perfection.

Oh and Dave , I've dealing with Orion about 3 years longer than you. I know the ins and outs of it better than you.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Orion is just a tool.

Anyone who follows it stop for stop is a fool.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1446678363.545194.jpg

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
There's a report we get with ORION showing guys who require the most help because they came in so far UNDER planned miles. Granted most of those guys are that way because they didn't follow trace for crap. But it's comical when a guy beats the perfect solution by 30 miles.

They need help because they do better at their job than ORION says they should?

Those guys should get an extra doughnut on safety Fridays for doing as well as they do.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
That one is largely ignored. Corporate wants the trace %.

That's what I asked the driver I talked to last night.

If you can go out and 'save more fuel' than the solution expects, why is anybody questioning you? Just trying to justify the expense of the system, the one that will be ignored once peak begins.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
If you can go out and 'save more fuel' than the solution expects, why is anybody questioning you? Just trying to justify the expense of the system, the one that will be ignored once peak begins.
Our DM says it will stay on during peak. Honestly I hear more complaints about it on here than I do in the center.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
come on . its not hard to understand what im saying . we just work off the clock to help us out . thats it not . not to steal work or anything .. it just helps us out to have a little knowledge where certain stops are located in the package car. we all have one goal in mind . just make things run smooth and go home thats it

You understand that you can get a warning letter for this?

And if you continue to do it after the warning letter, it could lead to termination.

I don't have a problem with a driver, while putting their lunch pail in the truck, taking a quick look to see what his day looks like.

Sorting and loading is the preloaders job. If your load is that screwed up that you have to sort your truck, then management needs to fix the preloaders.

We had the same problem with drivers working off the clock. It is managements responsibility to make sure that it does not happen.

It got to the point that drivers were not allowed in the back of their trucks before their start time. They had to put their lunch pails in the cab, and would receive a warning letter if they even entered the back of their trucks.

This was the only way management could differentiate between the lookers and the sorters.

A few bad apples spoiled it for everyone else who just wanted to look through their loads quickly.

National Master

Article 17 Paid For Time

The Employer will not allow employees to work prior to their start time without appropriate compensation.

clean hairy

30 min per day is 10 hours of time working for free on a 4 week month.
Donate that 10 hours of time each month to a charity that can use some help.
Or, get paid for the 10 hours per month and give the $$ to a charity.

File. I appreciate the free work, but I hate hate hate when people do it. You wouldn't work for free all day. Why would you work for free loading? It doesn't make sense
It makes sense when drivers can't find their packages on their route because of a 2000 section package loaded in the 6000 section because of their loader. So i agree with drivers loading off the clock before on clock time. If the driver gets hurt off the clock then that's another story.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Perhaps the solution is less than perfect.

It makes sense when drivers can't find their packages on their route because of a 2000 section package loaded in the 6000 section because of their loader. So i agree with drivers loading off the clock before on clock time. If the driver gets hurt off the clock then that's another story.
You never ever work off the clock! You are paid by the hour.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't follow it stop for stop but I do WAD. It's a tool. A very badly implemented tool that the metrics are too rigid to use it as a common sense tool.

But I forgot the BOG is full of rainbows and pure perfection.

Oh and Dave , I've dealing with Orion about 3 years longer than you. I know the ins and outs of it better than you.

I am usually around 85% and beat the miles on a daily basis.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
You guys need to talk to your loaders, if their the same loaders every day. Orion is a very strange system. It loads things in different places everyday. It puts bulks stops on the selfs and sometimes it tells you to load air in the most odd places. So I try and keep certain stops in certain places the drivers want. I also put all the air in a tote and let the driver go through it so he or she knows what is there.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You guys need to talk to your loaders, if their the same loaders every day. Orion is a very strange system. It loads things in different places everyday. It puts bulks stops on the selfs and sometimes it tells you to load air in the most odd places. So I try and keep certain stops in certain places the drivers want. I also put all the air in a tote and let the driver go through it so he or she knows what is there.

Orion has nothing to do with how the package cars are loaded.

Faceplanted

How about the driver finds it after he can't, sends a message where he found it, and how he has to back track and to deliver.... That's the right way.

How is the pre load gonna fix his behavior when the driver is correcting it for him with no papaw trail?

What if u come in early every day and do this.... I cover your route, find 2 packages late in the day I have to back track for, end up running 1.7 over while u run .5 over every day. It's not fair to your brothers as now in managements eyes im a slacker and a worse driver than you

Last edited:

tourists24

That's the funniest part about ORION to me. It's main purpose is to find the shortest routes thorough endless algorithm calculations. You should never be able to beat the "lowest" miles plan.