Workman's comp question - On Topic

HouserH

I'm a part-time loader that got struck in the head by a metal irreg during my shift. Of course I told my supervisor what happened, but apparently didn't officially report it until I talked to the full time manager the next day. They put me on light duty for the night, only for me to ask to go home early when the symptoms got too bad to manage at work. When I left, the manager told me to call her if it wasn't any better in the morning (keep in mind that nothing has been filed up to this point. I had yet to see any paperwork regarding the incident).

Morning comes and things are really bad. I call the manager, who then sets up a doctor's appointment later the same day. She goes with me to the initial appointment when the doctor issues an order for a CT scan at the nearby hospital. But when I check in at the hospital the people there say they're unable to complete the billing part of the process because they don't have my claim number. Since everything was arranged over the phone with no paperwork filled out prior, do I even have a claim number? If so, how do I know what it is? If not, do I even need one? I've already been told if I do have a bill sent in the mail to just give it to my managers and have them take care of it.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Call your local union hall asap They will advise you how to handle this. If you need immediate medical care go to the emergency room. Your health is very important

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I'm a part-time loader that got struck in the head by a metal irreg during my shift. Of course I told my supervisor what happened, but apparently didn't officially report it until I talked to the full time manager the next day. They put me on light duty for the night, only for me to ask to go home early when the symptoms got too bad to manage at work. When I left, the manager told me to call her if it wasn't any better in the morning (keep in mind that nothing has been filed up to this point. I had yet to see any paperwork regarding the incident).

Morning comes and things are really bad. I call the manager, who then sets up a doctor's appointment later the same day. She goes with me to the initial appointment when the doctor issues an order for a CT scan at the nearby hospital. But when I check in at the hospital the people there say they're unable to complete the billing part of the process because they don't have my claim number. Since everything was arranged over the phone with no paperwork filled out prior, do I even have a claim number? If so, how do I know what it is? If not, do I even need one? I've already been told if I do have a bill sent in the mail to just give it to my managers and have them take care of it.
Usually they will ask you if the injury happened at work. That's all you need. Make sure you call the injury in.

trickpony1

The original poster needs to learn, real quick, to have a union member present to witness significant conversations with management otherwise management can say, "....I don't know anything about this...".

10 Pt

You're not screwed. You have 30 days after the injury date to file the WC claim and if you have a problem getting a claim number have your shift steward go to the management with you to call in the injury and get your claim number that day.

There are attorneys that are well versed in WC claims and you need to get ahold of one immediately. The local union should have a firm for you to contact.

If you get any run around from management call the 800 ethics phone number and tell them all about this situation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had a repetitive motion injury that was initially considered not to be work related and was treated through our health insurance; however, that designation was changed to work related and comp not only paid for the surgery and followup care but also paid all of my previous bills for this injury.

As 10 Pt said, you have 30 days to file your WC claim.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

By now your manager should have reported the injury to liberty mutual and you will have a claim number.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

You will be given a person to contact at liberty mutual. That person will tell you to send her any bills that need taken care of prior to having a claim number.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Your local union will not have a clue.

Inthegame

By now your manager should have reported the injury to liberty mutual and you will have a claim number.
Strike one. Foul tip...
You will be given a person to contact at liberty mutual. That person will tell you to send her any bills that need taken care of prior to having a claim number.
Strike two. Swing and a miss...
Your local union will not have a clue.
Strike three. Watched it go by...

SoCalUPS

FYI, when hurt on the job, always involve your steward, BA etc. Work comp laws are constantly changing. UPS insurance carrier will do whatever possible to deny that your injury is work related. If your injury will cause you to miss any kind of work, get yourself a work comp lawyer. The Union, your Steward or a fellow Brother and Sister can point you in the right direction.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I had a repetitive motion injury that was initially considered not to be work related and was treated through our health insurance; however, that designation was changed to work related and comp not only paid for the surgery and followup care but also paid all of my previous bills for this injury.

As 10 Pt said, you have 30 days to file your WC claim.
Wrist injury???

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here you have 1 year to File a claim. 2 years for an occupational injury.

Waiting this long would/could make it extremely difficult to prove that the injury was work related.

We have a young driver who was making a delivery and felt something pop in his lower abdomen. He didn't tell anyone and kept working. 12 days later he told them that he had a hernia.

We had a PCM devoted specifically to proper injury reporting procedures.

Waiting this long would/could make it extremely difficult to prove that the injury was work related.

We have a young driver who was making a delivery and felt something pop in his lower abdomen. He didn't tell anyone and kept working. 12 days later he told them that he had a hernia.

We had a PCM devoted specifically to proper injury reporting procedures.
The state makes the law, and the state approves an injury. All ups can do is argue against it. I filed 8 months after an occupational injury. Got the run around. So I went around ups.

Over disciplined0123

Once you go to the dr or hospital they will ask as to what happened and when it's work related it goes under comp your employer will be notified that's why you should always have an accident report filled out before but sometimes that cant always happen as do I got hurt once but I did not feel any pain till the next day and I went to the doctor and it went under comp. and my accident report was taking over the phone and claim was started