Would FDXG Driver unionization help ISP's

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
How many stops are you doing and what kind of area

120-180 stops, 180-230 miles

60% flat land rural 40% suburbia... was tweaked from 80% -20% & it's a huge difference since I now have 2 dense suburbia areas where I can ramp up my SPORH to 20-25

It will be fine

I dare you to come into the terminal with a load of Amazon packages on your truck and load your fedex packages with the manager knowing, or telling your manager that you will be stopping at Amazon to pick up packages.

And I dare you to come into the terminal someday without prior notice at 3 pm with enough trucks and drivers to finish by 5 pm. You can't do any of that, and if any of your drivers is deliverying fedex packages and Amazon out of the same truck, you are violating fedex policies, even if the contract doesn't say so. That was a huge part of the lawsuits before. Fedex has a whole book of policies that they enforce even if not part of the contract.

And I dare you to pull in some day without prior approval in a Chevy volt, and have a driver drop off a couple packages who hasn't been approved by fedex even if the driver has a Class a license and runs his own trucking business. I dare you to take packages to your local courier company and pay them to deliver the packages for you. You are in no way independent, except in your independent right to not renew the contract. You can't even quit without a penalty. Independent my :censored2:
The question was if we are free to provide services for other companies. We are. We can’t do it at the same time on the same trucks but we are free to provide services to other companies.

It pretty routine for my Saturday guys to roll in after noon.

You seem mad, not sure why.

dmac1

The question was if we are free to provide services for other companies. We are. We can’t do it at the same time on the same trucks but we are free to provide services to other companies.

It pretty routine for my Saturday guys to roll in after noon.

You seem mad, not sure why.
Not mad, actually amused. It seems like you don't have a clue as to what legally constitutes 'independence.' When you need to inform fedex when you will be there, what truck you are using, who is driving for you, how you pay your drivers, and are told when you need to be somewhere, how to mark your truck, how your truck must look, how YOU must look while delivering, you aren't independent, EVEN IF you agreed to all the terms. People agreed to voluntary servitude years ago, and they weren't free. You basically agreed to the same thing.

It will be fine

Not mad, actually amused. It seems like you don't have a clue as to what legally constitutes 'independence.' When you need to inform fedex when you will be there, what truck you are using, who is driving for you, how you pay your drivers, and are told when you need to be somewhere, how to mark your truck, how your truck must look, how YOU must look while delivering, you aren't independent, EVEN IF you agreed to all the terms. People agreed to voluntary servitude years ago, and they weren't free. You basically agreed to the same thing.
Considering none of that is true, you’re off base. Your thinking is outdated. You’re acting like a single van owner or an owner that has to drive daily. The constraints you claim I have just aren’t present. I dispatch trucks from terminals I only visit once or twice a month, not sure how you can claim Fedex is dictating when and where I’ll be.

bacha29

Good point demac. It doesn't matter if you have 1 route or a 100 routes it still comes down to nothing more than servitude. This is when you start. This is when you stop. This is what you drive This is what you wear. This is where you go. This is how you do it. etc. etc. There is simply no way to sugarcoat cover up or deny it. In fact the more routes you have the more enslaved and dependent you are on that company.
The only tangible assets you have are the trucks, the fastest depreciating pieces of equipment known to the US economy. Your only intangible asset is the routes themselves whose value has to be 100% supported by the company, value that only exists for a long as the company will support it. There is simply no other supporting interest in existence. It's all or nothing. You as a contractor are 100% dependent on the good graces of that company. Unless you are completely willing to be totally subjugated to the absolute will and power of that company you have absolutely nothing.
Therefore given that the economic windfall contractors are counting on is 100% exposed to numerous factors the contractor has no control over the key is to recognize those risks ahead of time and be able to get out under favorable terms ahead of those increasing risk factors.

Over disciplined0123

I am a semi-retired attorney whose nephew is an ISP. I also have a friend whose son is a driver. I am also watching the UPS situation re their impending (and its related issues) action re work hours and conditions.

My knowledge of FDX leads me to believe that the nature of contracts agreed to by the ISP's has led to similar, if not worse driver working conditions than those being confronted by the Teamsters.

Would it be reasonable to consider that an organizing effort by contractor drivers would assist contractors in elevating their income to a level that could lead to better recruitment/retention of their workforce?
If fed ex unionized that would be the best thing for ups and teamsters. We have been trying and been failing for decades

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
If the brownie union can't convince the eggplant workers to form a teamster workforce, I don't know who will convince them into a teamster brotherhood.

In my state, for example, the teacher union is strong, butt only in the main interest of lining their own pockets (administration, not teachers) from property taxpayers

Over disciplined0123

If the brownie union can't convince the eggplant workers to form a teamster workforce, I don't know who will convince them into a teamster brotherhood.

In my state, for example, the teacher union is strong, butt only in the main interest of lining their own pockets (administration, not teachers) from property taxpayers
Unions have been weakened in the last 20 years .One major reason is corporations shifting work overseas for cheap labor which should not be legal .UAW and steel workers both declining .That is why I believe this is probably the most important contract for UPS and TEAMSTERS ever . If we win a good one there is a better chance of unionizing more workers. If we dont win well then I believe this would be the straw that broke camels back for TEAMSTERS everywhere .. plenty of other smaller corporations and unions use our contact for a template of negotiations of their own

Over disciplined0123

Good point demac. It doesn't matter if you have 1 route or a 100 routes it still comes down to nothing more than servitude. This is when you start. This is when you stop. This is what you drive This is what you wear. This is where you go. This is how you do it. etc. etc. There is simply no way to sugarcoat cover up or deny it. In fact the more routes you have the more enslaved and dependent you are on that company.
The only tangible assets you have are the trucks, the fastest depreciating pieces of equipment known to the US economy. Your only intangible asset is the routes themselves whose value has to be 100% supported by the company, value that only exists for a long as the company will support it. There is simply no other supporting interest in existence. It's all or nothing. You as a contractor are 100% dependent on the good graces of that company. Unless you are completely willing to be totally subjugated to the absolute will and power of that company you have absolutely nothing.
Therefore given that the economic windfall contractors are counting on is 100% exposed to numerous factors the contractor has no control over the key is to recognize those risks ahead of time and be able to get out under favorable terms ahead of those increasing risk factors.
Right to the point

It will be fine

Unions have been weakened in the last 20 years .One major reason is corporations shifting work overseas for cheap labor which should not be legal .UAW and steel workers both declining .That is why I believe this is probably the most important contract for UPS and TEAMSTERS ever . If we win a good one there is a better chance of unionizing more workers. If we dont win well then I believe this would be the straw that broke camels back for TEAMSTERS everywhere .. plenty of other smaller corporations and unions use our contact for a template of negotiations of their own
Hate to break it to you but the hybrids aren’t coming out of the new UPS contract regardless of how the members vote. Anyone in their right mind in a right to work state will stop paying the teamsters after that sellout. The teamsters are a dead man walking after this contract.

MAKAVELI

Hate to break it to you but the hybrids aren’t coming out of the new UPS contract regardless of how the members vote. Anyone in their right mind in a right to work state will stop paying the teamsters after that sellout. The teamsters are a dead man walking after this contract.
It is pretty bizarre to think how the Teamsters' leadership can try to sell that bag of :censored2: to the membership.

bacha29

Teamster members are right about this. The question is how the 22.4's will be used. Run them Wednesday through Sunday. Monday morning comes around the full time guys come in but sent home because the contract says that they will work regular full time work week " if there is work available" as the language states but everything was cleaned up over the weekend. The end result could in fact be a greatly expanded part time work force. Moreover the so called full time guys must work a minimum number of total work hours during the year to gain a full years pension credit.

zeev

What are the chances X rolls express into ground and delivers high value freight to ground and eliminates the costly express small package network?