Yelled at for blocking traffic

john chesney

Are you saying we aren’t a bunch of :censored2:s driving brown trucks? I gotta tell you only 10% of the time have I heard good things about drivers at brown. The only place I see that above and beyond crap is on UPSers site. Although in this day and age everyone focuses on all the bad and it always trumps the good.
I’ll tell you this is not the ups I started at. We were the most admired members of our community. Blocking an ambulance for whatever reason is not acceptable. I don’t care what I was doing if I heard a siren by my truck I would of checked to see if everything was ok period. I’m sorry but then you see a driver that’s appearance looks slightly better then a bum. It’s disgraceful for us older drivers to see this.

542thruNthru

Pleasse! an ambulance siren right behind you and you are unaware. Sorry not buying that one!

We don't see the beginning of the video. For all we know the driver was hurrying back with a hand cart and had to put it away first before starting the vehicle and leaving.

Plus we don't see where the guy caught up with him. It could have been blocks away. In city's like that you are trained to double park just like we are trained to park in the red.

Everyone is so quick to jump on this guy for trying to do his job. A lot of management people in here today from the sound of it.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
but how long did he wait before starting the video? There looks to be a line of cars behind the ambulance and it took him 40 seconds of video to get his wheels rolling.

The way he parked, along with the folded in mirror, tells me that he thought there was room for traffic to pass him on the right.

The ambulances are wide because the bodies stick out past the chassis. I don't think there was enough room for it to pass from looking at the tire tracks in the road, but that's my opinion.

I get that, but when he parked, he seemed to pull as far over as he could, and it looks like plenty of room for a car.

Did he go out and measure it when he parked?

Pleasse! an ambulance siren right behind you and you are unaware. Sorry not buying that one!

Are you a driver?

Have you ever been in the back and heard sirens?

Scenario. He heard the sirens when he was in the back. We have probably all been there. He may have even heard them getting closer. He then hears them stopped behind him.

So he may be thinking that there is something going on right by him because the ambulance stopped. He comes to the cab to see what's going on.

The passenger mirror is folded in, so he looks out the drivers mirror. Guess what? Look how the ambulance is positioned. He cannot see it through his drivers mirror.

He then unfolds his passenger mirror and takes a look. His first though is he is stopped right behind me. Then he thinks, wait a minute, his sirens are still blaring. Why isn't he going around me?

I'm sure he had no idea that he did not leave enough room for traffic to get by.

He unfolds his mirror at around 15 seconds of the video, processes what is going on and what he needs to do, and starts rolling less than 20 seconds later.

He has to shut the bulkhead door, get in the seat, put on the seat belt, start the truck and clear his path.

OK, maybe he could have done that in 15 seconds?

He was not blocking that ambulance on purpose and refusing to move as the story states.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
This entire thread could probably have been avoided had he been contrite to the person recording this. Instead he comes off as a :censored2:bag talking about his lawyer.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
This entire thread could probably have been avoided had he been contrite to the person recording this. Instead he comes off as a :censored2:bag talking about his lawyer.

I agree.

He could have told the guy that he didn't realize he was blocking the ambulance, and certainly didn't do it on purpose.

End of story.

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
Yea, and I'm sure the guy was not blocking the ambulance on purpose.

You can see the bulkhead door open. He was in the back and had no idea what was going on.

He unfolded the mirror and probably wondered why the ambulance was not passing him.

By the time he realized he was blocking it, he pulled up and let it go around.

Could he have moved a little faster?

Probably. But by the time he realized what was going on, he moved within 20 seconds or so.

The video makes it look worse than it was because almost 15 seconds already elapsed showing the ambulance behind the truck before the driver had any idea of what was going on.
I was doing a Tony Soprano impression cuz the guy who was posting had Tony as his avatar....

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
The way he parked, along with the folded in mirror, tells me that he thought there was room for traffic to pass him on the right.

I get that, but when he parked, he seemed to pull as far over as he could, and it looks like plenty of room for a car.

Did he go out and measure it when he parked?

Are you a driver?

Have you ever been in the back and heard sirens?

Scenario. He heard the sirens when he was in the back. We have probably all been there. He may have even heard them getting closer. He then hears them stopped behind him.

So he may be thinking that there is something going on right by him because the ambulance stopped. He comes to the cab to see what's going on.

The passenger mirror is folded in, so he looks out the drivers mirror. Guess what? Look how the ambulance is positioned. He cannot see it through his drivers mirror.

He then unfolds his passenger mirror and takes a look. His first though is he is stopped right behind me. Then he thinks, wait a minute, his sirens are still blaring. Why isn't he going around me?

I'm sure he had no idea that he did not leave enough room for traffic to get by.

He unfolds his mirror at around 15 seconds of the video, processes what is going on and what he needs to do, and starts rolling less than 20 seconds later.

He has to shut the bulkhead door, get in the seat, put on the seat belt, start the truck and clear his path.

OK, maybe he could have done that in 15 seconds?

He was not blocking that ambulance on purpose and refusing to move as the story states.
In the very least, this driver has no awareness of his surroundings. The ambulance was blasting the horn right behind the package car for quite a while.

reginald95

Here are just a few. You're welcome to check for yourself, or how about posting a video, with audio, without the other persons consent in a two-party State and let me know how that works out for you.

Hidden cameras spy cameras and nanny cams with built-in microphones for audio recording FAQ

The main point to understand is that ANY video camera (regardless of the device) when used in conjunction with ANY type of microphone (built-in or external) will be subject to all Federal and State video recording and audio recording laws. In other words all video/audio consent recording laws will still apply. Do not attempt to record audio or video using any device without the proper consent of all parties based on the state you are in. Talk to a local attorney about your intended use before recording any audio or video if you are unsure of the laws in your area.

https://lifehacker.com/what-you-need-to-know-when-recording-your-enemies-1795226719

Audio and Video Aren’t the Same Thing, but Can Be Intertwined

Video recording law is different from audio recording law—and a topic for another time—but it’s important to know what those differences are. Generally speaking, you have the right to record video in all public spaces without need of consent. A public space is defined as anywhere any member of the public can legally access, so public transit facilities, parks, streets, etc. are all fair game. Recording video on private property, though, is up to the discretion of the property owner, private security, or police, but secret video recordings are illegal on all private property in some states, like California.

But here’s the most important part: recording video of a conversation in public might be legal, but recording audio along with that video is not if you’re in a two-party state. For example, recording a video of your heated conversation with a surly sales associate is illegal in all two-party states if they don’t give you permission to record them. Even in one-party states, recording video like that is dubious at best.

Recording in Public Places and Your First Amendment Rights - Videomaker

While it is not illegal to photograph or record images in public places in almost every state, some states have eavesdropping laws that criminalize recording oral conversations without permission, which has led to arrests due to the fact that videographers don’t usually make silent movies. When arrested, photographers are also typically charged with disorderly conduct, obstruction of governmental administration or trespass.

If you are out in public and an argument between people happens you can record that since there is no reasonable expectation of privacy between those two people since they are causing a scene. If there are two people sitting on a bench in a public park having a conversation between each other then you can't record their conversation. It's all about "reasonable expectation of privacy" when out in public.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Recording Phone Calls and Conversations | Digital Media Law Project
In the very least, this driver has no awareness of his surroundings. The ambulance was blasting the horn right behind the package car for quite a while.

Possibly.

Although, being in the back of the truck and hearing sirens, when you actually thought that your package car was not blocking the flow of traffic, might take away a little sense of urgency to see what's going on, even if you hear them directly behind you.

But. I do agree that he could have moved a little quicker.

My whole point is that he did not block that ambulance on purpose and refuse to move, as the story states.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If you are out in public and an argument between people happens you can record that since there is no reasonable expectation of privacy between those two people since they are causing a scene. If there are two people sitting on a bench in a public park having a conversation between each other then you can't record their conversation. It's all about "reasonable expectation of privacy" when out in public.

Yelling in public is a little different than conversing with someone in public, as the driver was doing with the cameraman.

If he posted that in a two-party state, he can be sued and prosecuted.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Recording Phone Calls and Conversations | Digital Media Law Project

Possibly.

Although, being in the back of the truck and hearing sirens, when you actually thought that your package car was not blocking the flow of traffic, might take away a little sense of urgency to see what's going on, even if you hear them directly behind you.

But. I do agree that he could have moved a little quicker.

My whole point is that he did not block that ambulance on purpose and refuse to move, as the story states.
It wasn’t just sirens. The ambulance driver was leaning on the horn for an extended amount of time directly behind the package car. The cargo area is not exactly soundproof. Those are thin walls. Dude needs to either turn down the music or take out the earbuds completely.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
It wasn’t just sirens. The ambulance driver was leaning on the horn for an extended amount of time directly behind the package car. The cargo area is not exactly soundproof. Those are thin walls. Dude needs to either turn down the music or take out the earbuds completely.

OK.

If I was in that situation, and I have been in something similar, as probably a lot of us have been, I would not think all those sirens and horns blowing were directed at me.....at first.

Yes, I did hear them, but also thought I left plenty of room for traffic to pass.

When it continued past several seconds, yes I would try and see what's going on.

After about 4 or 5 seconds of that, I would come to the cab and look in my drivers mirror, since the passenger mirror is folded in.

Can't see anything behind me, so I go to the passenger side and unfold the mirror to take a look.

Yes, to do that, it takes about 10 seconds to get from the back, look out the drivers mirror, unfold the passenger mirror and process what's going on.

Add that to the 4 or 5 seconds before I realize there might be an issue.

So, 14 seconds is reasonable, even in that situation, even if you are a DumbTruckDriver.

Now, here's where we probably agree.

From this 14 second point, I think he could probably have got his package car moved a few seconds sooner, but we're only talking 4 or 5 seconds here.

Bottom line, the story made it look like he refused to move his package car.

Indecisi0n

I’ll tell you this is not the ups I started at. We were the most admired members of our community. Blocking an ambulance for whatever reason is not acceptable. I don’t care what I was doing if I heard a siren by my truck I would of checked to see if everything was ok period. I’m sorry but then you see a driver that’s appearance looks slightly better then a bum. It’s disgraceful for us older drivers to see this.
Racist